For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

the nextgen article about Unreal

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

the nextgen article about Unreal

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Someone recently scanned it and posted it at unseen64.net in the thread about unreal psx and unreal beta versions. I have saw a thread either here or on beyondunreal about it too, but it got finally scanned. I will perhaps upload the pics too.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: the nextgen article about Unreal

Post by Leo T_C_K »

This was taken by Celine:

Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skw

Post by Skw »

Thank you!

This is very intreresting, I created a pdf of these files. PM me if you want it.

I like printing this type articles, only I hope higher resolution.

More these!
creavion
OldUnreal Member

Post by creavion »

I kinda like the old hud^^
although its very quake/doom like.

The HUD base texture looks like Crypt2.Base.Rusteel1
I have still to read the whole text there.
UT99.org Community Mappack 2:
http://www.ut99.org/utr/infopage.html
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I wonder what is the weapon on the top-right screen of fourth page (the image where the player is near a skaarj)
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

I wonder what is the weapon on the top-right  screen of fourth page (the image where the player is near a skaarj)
It's the Quadshot (I think)
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Indeed, it seems they used Crypt2 extensively and looked very much like DooM. And yes, it's a quadshot with the middle hand.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Indeed, it seems they used Crypt2 extensively and looked very much like DooM. And yes, it's a quadshot with the middle hand.
It is Crypt and Crypt2, but Crypt2 is a different package, just like in Unreal PSX, there is Cryptpsx(having the textures that are in ut crypt2) and then crypt2psx which is real crypt2, only that these textures were scaled down and washed down in colors etc for the playstation.

Post by Age »

Nice!!

Not sure but this video look slightly same (last seconds where brute kills you)

I found interesting that how player dies and brute shoots.
Last edited by Age on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

Ah good videos Age and Leo. I like the way in which the player falls down after dying along with the sound effects. I'd like to see more of the "old OLD" version of Unreal (1995-1996) where the Brute was called the BigMan and the only player was the Female Character.
]Rubberwood
OldUnreal Member

Post by ]Rubberwood »

Are those maps using the Crypt2 the same maps in the beta available for download?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Are those maps using the Crypt2 the same maps in the beta available for download?
Nope, not at all.

Btw it should be called just Crypt, it is just the final version of Unreal had Crypt.utx which was stripped down original Crypt, beacsue in Unreal they used only the chain texture and they didn't see the need to include all the additional textures in...
So the proper Crypt.utx that appears in UT is called Crypt2. The proper Crypt2(which has a lot of different textures and even some old ones are different in color) would be named Crypt3 I suppose, but it was never saved only if the alphas or betas were found or the cryptic addon pack for Unreal.

This is the PSX low res version:

Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

Wow, I never looked in all the uPSX texture packages in depth before...pretty interesting. But this must mean that the uPSK developers has access to Betas at some point??

Also, found a nice old castle-themed map screenshot.

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Wow, I never looked in all the uPSX texture packages in depth before...pretty interesting. But this must mean that the uPSK developers has access to Betas at some point??

Also, found a nice old castle-themed map screenshot.

Yeah...John Anderson was bringing back his old maps, converting them also. The E1L6 thing. Sadly John Anderson is long gone, the last activity from him online was in like 2004.
They planned apparently castle1 themed map too, as swampspsx contains these...
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pravin

Post by Pravin »

Wow, why did Epic remove that dramatic death camera panning effect? It looks a lot better than viewing your corpse from 3rd person. I personally think that it's viable for 227 to bring back that feature. :)
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

Wow, why did Epic remove that dramatic death camera panning effect? It looks a lot better than viewing your corpse from 3rd person. I personally think that it's viable for 227 to bring back that feature. :)
I can re-implement this in real time using interpolation movement methods for the PlayerCalcView, although it'd be easier to beable to attach the camera vector point to a vertex in the mesh, somewhere around where the eyes of the skin are mapped on the UV mapping...

I've done this before actually but only very simple like in DOOM's case... However QuakePak upcoming, I realize that what Epic did in that video is almost slightly more like Quake 1's method, or maybe Quake 2's but it's gearing more towards Quake 1, yet slightly more animated...
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil

Return to “Unreal General Forum”