For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Extremely strange request.

This forum is for the new audio renderer for UEngine 1 based games, like Unreal, UnrealTournament, DeusEx and Rune. Missing a Game? Want to develop yourself? Let us know!
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Extremely strange request.

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

Would it be possible to add a switch to the libxmp music so that volume ramping is disabled and the interpolation method set to a very simplistic "Linear" function, in a attempt to make the music have the same poppiness and slightly tinny audio quality as Unreal had with Galaxy?

This might sound backwards but, I've grown used to the music popping and clicking in Unreal.
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Extremely strange request.

Post by Smirftsch »

in the last update of xmp the issue with the Linear interpolation crackling has already been fixed, so this can be used again- but I assume this isn't what you want?

But whatever it is, I very much understand the idea to have "the right feeling", so if I can add an option for this (without having to rewrite everything from scratch), why not.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Re: Extremely strange request.

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

Well for example of what I want, just load ImpulseTracker in DosBOX and select "Interpolated" sound. IT.EXE does not implement micro volume ramping if you're not using the MMX driver. (DosBOX cannot emulate MMX instructions so you can't even use it to begin with) So samples that aren't tailored to properly or are cut short will cause a noticeable "pop". This isn't a fault of the interpolation function, just a lack of extremely fine volume control and dc bias removal.

Another good example is to use libopenmpt or OpenMPT itself, in the case of libopenmpt start openmpt123 with --ramping 0 and --filter 2. In OpenMPT you can set the sample ramping up\down default to 0 samples, then set interpolation to "Linear" and it'll sound close to how Galaxy played the music back.
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil

Return to “ALAudio (OpenAL), FMOD (FMOD3 and FMOD Ex) or other new audio renderer for UEngine 1 Games”