For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

audio settings

This forum is for the new audio renderer for UEngine 1 based games, like Unreal, UnrealTournament, DeusEx and Rune. Missing a Game? Want to develop yourself? Let us know!
krzesi
OldUnreal Member

audio settings

Post by krzesi »

Hi everyone,

can someone recommend me the best audio settings for creative x-fi xtreme gamer? I`m trying to figure the alaudio options but some of them I dont for what they are :D

Thanks in advance
Cheers

p.s.
Is it possible to hear every respawn or most of them in 1on1?
Last edited by krzesi on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: audio settings

Post by Smirftsch »

the settings are explained in the ReleaseNotes in the help directory. If there are more questions feel free to ask.
And no, it was not designed to be abused for getting an advantage by hearing everything everywhere :)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
krzesi
OldUnreal Member

Post by krzesi »

[ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
FMODChannels=32
FMODHardwareChannels=64
FMODUseHardwareChannels=False
FMODDevices=Podstawowysterownikdwiku
FMODOutputs=DefaultDevice
ALDevices=SBX-FiAudioEC00
DopplerFactor=100000002004087730000.000000
bSoundAttenuate=True
UseOriginalUnreal=True
SoundVolume=64
UseReverb=True
AmbientFactor=0.700000
MusicPanSeparation=0.800000
MusicVolume=0
Channels=64
OutputRate=44100Hz
ProbeDevicesOnly=False
UseDigitalMusic=False

Those are my settings. What should I change to hear the most of the respawns?

Just for information I know that it wasnt designed to get an advantage but is it possible anyway? Just asking.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

in any case should set bSoundAttenuate=False and the DopplerFactor seems to have some insane value atm. Could try to lower the ambient factor a bit to avoid disturbing sounds maybe.
krzesi
OldUnreal Member

Post by krzesi »

I will test today. Btw what vaule should I set for dopplerfactor? Can I set 128 channels in alaudio? Isnt ambientfactor for sounds like lifts, minigun?
krzesi
OldUnreal Member

Post by krzesi »

I removed all alaudio options from ini. Seems after updating omp 0,99 was mess in my settings. Now is better. Btw when new omp (0,99) will be compiled with ace?
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

I would like to know why need the keys FMODChannels, FMODHardwareChannels, and FMODUseHardwareChannels in ALAudio config?
And the new version OMP will be released in parallel with the 227i?

Thank you in advance for your reply :)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

because OpenAL uses FMod for music output, the sounds and soundeffects are handled by OpenAL. OpenAL itself doesn't support the Unreal music files, it needs an external library to decode and this way it made sense to use FMod for this to avoid dependencies with more additional libraries.

I think I can create a new OMP shortly after 227i is out.
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

because OpenAL uses FMod for music output, the sounds and soundeffects are handled by OpenAL. OpenAL itself doesn't support the Unreal music files, it needs an external library to decode and this way it made sense to use FMod for this to avoid dependencies with more additional libraries.
About this I know :) I just do not understand why FMOD must to play music in several channels.

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I'm currently not sure how many channels the music really needs, but in this case I just preferred to keep it configurable instead of making it hardcoded ;)
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

I tried to put FMODChannels=1, and understood ::) This switch limits the number of music samples that are played at one time.

And another question. You'll change the music player to something else? Fmod not always play well. Or, you can, at least, turn off the fade-in music?
Last edited by sn260591 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

FMod is one of the best players out there, its already hard to find something better :)
But even if, building in such a music library is a lot of work and requires a lot of testing and debugging, its not just replacing a dll or something and it needs to be cross platform.
But whats wrong with the fading in?

sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

FMod is one of the best players out there, its already hard to find something better :)
I have an example: after playing the track Mech8 (DM-Fractal) a pause of several minutes.
But whats wrong with the fading in?
At the beginning of the level ExtremeDark pay attention to the music: the transition from one track to another part of the smooth transition is observed, which is not in the Galaxy.

Update
And you can tell in detail about UseOriginalUnreal key, please?
Last edited by sn260591 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “ALAudio (OpenAL), FMOD (FMOD3 and FMOD Ex) or other new audio renderer for UEngine 1 Games”