For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

S3TC and footsteps

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

creavion
OldUnreal Member

S3TC and footsteps

Post by creavion »

Instead to ask Smirftsch (again), I think its better to ask that public:

227f ? (or was it introduced in the g-version, I dunno, but anyway) offers the possibilty to set up to 4 different footsteps for each texture. The question is now.

What if you want to offer beside the normal package a S3TC version as well?

@DieHard: Can you set the footsteps in the s3tc package as well?
UT99.org Community Mappack 2:
http://www.ut99.org/utr/infopage.html
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Re: S3TC and footsteps

Post by DieHard SCWS »

I have worked closelly with Smirftsch to test the the footstepsounds, and we were able to solve a few problems. If correct the current beta this is still broke, but in the next beta the problems are fixed.

There are a few possible things that can happen if you choose to use the footstepsounds. And its a while ago i tested this, and due to my lack of concentration i have to theorise here, so keep that in mind.

The first problem is, what if you create a package that uses foostepsounds, and its loaded in 227. It will need the foostep package to able to run, so no problem there.

Second option is, that a mapper that maps with patch 225 which doesnt support footstepsounds. That mapper needs to install the footstepsounds package, because Unreal will ask for it. But if correct it will ignore the fact that the package supports footsteps, as the function simply will not be there.

Because you ALWAYS need the footsteps soundpackage, it is advised to ALWAYS ship it with your Normal package release, so you are sure that mappers, and serveradmins will have the package regardless if they run a 225 or a 227 server. So its critical to have the footstep soundpackage added to your downloads!!

As for the support in S3TC, well, lol, i have no clue :)

I have had no time to test this, and i agree some testing is welcome. On itself, the S3TC packages simply adopt the the entire normal package as is, and only switches out textures while leaving all other info in the package alone. So theoretically the mergertool cares s h i t about whatever you add to the normal packag, as it uses the entire package as a base.

So theretically if footstep settings are present in the normal package, they will also be sitting in the S3TC package. But as said its theoretical as i never tested it. But frankly i asume this simply will work. The sideproblem might be the mergertool itself, but that too would only require some additional work on the tool, if needed. But at the moment i cant think of a reason why it wouldnt work with the current tool.

Another thing is, which is also my problem, you have to like the footstep sounds. And you need to find out if the current footstepsound package contains the sounds how you would like them. And in that respect you need to realise that the current Footsteps.uax package is also a beta package.

But you can byppass that problem by assembeling a .uax package yourself that you use for your texture packages like CreavionFootsteps.uax And again i dunno if it works, but it should :) And luckelly Smirftsch choose to have the sounds in a seperated package instead of building it into the .u files.

So there are a few things you need to realise if you want to use them. But if correct it should not give to many problems.
creavion
OldUnreal Member

Re: S3TC and footsteps

Post by creavion »

Hmm, what if those sound entries would be made relative.
Like here?
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/soundstringrjd0.gif[/img]
Its not like we mostly know: Sound'Thunderstorm.Thunder.Thunder10'

Footsteps found: Then, use them
Footsteps not found: Ignore those strings

@packagename: yearh of course I would NOT name a package like that only "Footsteps" xD
UT99.org Community Mappack 2:
http://www.ut99.org/utr/infopage.html

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”