For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Render Target Surfaces: Do such things exist in Unreal Engine 1?

Ask UnrealEd 1 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

Render Target Surfaces: Do such things exist in Unreal Engine 1?

Post by Amaroq Clearwater »

I am asking because I want to make surfaces that are like computer screens connected to other things like security cameras on a map. If such a thing is possible, that would be great, but if not I could probably just cheat with warpzones. There are some problems with that concept though, since not only would the perspective change as you moved around, but as far as I am aware of, the warp zones would also need to be axis-aligned.

While I'm on the subject... If Render Targets do not exist yet in Unreal Engine 1, then could they be added in a later version of 227?
Read the bio for my fursona here:
*OUTDATED LINK, WILL BE REPLACED SOON*

---

"Daddy, I had a nightmare."
"What is it, darling?"
"The next Unreal won't have Deck16..."
"That&
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Render Target Surfaces: Do such things exist in Unreal Engine 1?

Post by Hellkeeper »

It does not exist in Unreal. You can indeed cheat with warpzones. I don't know if custom actors have already been coded by someone for exactly this, but I know there exist somewhere an actor named CameraSpot, which, when activated, switches temporarily your view to somewhere else in the map. It allows you to take a look somewhere. It does not render to texture though, it actually teleports your view for a limited amount of time.
You must construct additional pylons.
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

The example I was thinking of was actually a remake of that room from Half-Life: Blue Shift with all of the monitors. Granted, to recreate the exact functionality of the room you could probably just combine camera spots with the Firetrucks toolkit (pressing the Use Key on the screen, which was just a static texture, would teleport your view to an area hidden elsewhere in the map so that you could see what was happens in other areas of Black Mesa), but I really thought that it would be a lot better with Render Target camera objects.

Speaking of which, can the "cameras" in flyby maps go through Warp Zones? I know it just carries the player with no weapons around a set path and overrides their camera, but can the paths be set to go through Warp Zones?

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

couldnt this be done with DrawPortal?
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

I don't know what that is, sorry.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

f.e.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.

Return to “UnrealEd, the editor for Unreal up to version  226”