For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

DT_VerticalSprite

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

DT_VerticalSprite

Post by Skywolf »

Does DT_VerticalSprite DrawType setting even do anything? All I can find about it is that it is unused in UE2 so I assume it is here aswell.

I'm looking for a way to render sprites like how monster are done in Doom and I assume that this is supposed to do that. But if I'm right and it indeed doesnt work, is there an alternative? or can we get this functional in 227?
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: DT_VerticalSprite

Post by Smirftsch »

you are right, its entirely unused. No idea yet how much effort it is to implement.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

I'm looking for a way to render sprites like how monster are done in Doom
DT_Sprite already gets rendered facing the player or do I miss a bit here?

/edit:
On a second thought, you probably don't want to have parts of the Sprite truncated when it is inside the floor. One approach might be to draw them a bit closer to the player. However, for some more advanced solution, you should probably draw the sprite actors in PreRenderFlash() or sth. "by hand". So you could clear the Z-Buffer. However this in turn requirest hat you probably should sort the sprite actors for drawing yourself, and that you might end up doing a FastTrace for each of them to see if they are occluded by level geometry.

Advanved advanced solution:
[cut]
Last edited by han on Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

I'm looking for a way to render sprites like how monster are done in Doom
DT_Sprite already gets rendered facing the player or do I miss a bit here?
Doom renders sprites in such a way that they only rotate on the vertical axis when facing the player (atleast in ZDoom as the original doesnt allow looking up/down but you can still see it on larger sprites). Similair to setting a MeshEmitter its ParticleRotation to MEP_YawingToCamera. And yes, I can use that but to have particle emitter to make a static object doesnt work that great. Especially when you want to make the sprite translucent.
Last edited by Skywolf on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

Ok i downloaded ZDoom and Shareware files. But I'm unable to see the difference. For both Unreal and ZDoom the sprite is just scaled and moved on screen. Mind giving me an another explaination whats different?
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Similair to setting a MeshEmitter its ParticleRotation to MEP_YawingToCamera.
^ ::)

[url=[/url]. Left is what I want only without having to use a MeshEmitter for it. Right is what DT_Sprite does (or in my case a MeshEmitter with MEP_FacingCamera as ParticleRotation).
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

If you have Unreal 227, try this:

bStatic=False
DrawType=DT_Mesh
Mesh=Mesh'Emitter.EmitSheetM'
RenderIteratorClass=Class'Emitter.ActorFaceCameraYawRI'
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

That works great! Thanks ;D.

Still really convoluted for something that should be just a DrawType imho. But you cant argue with result I guess.

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”