For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Possible bug with DXT1 mesh texture mapping code

To find and remove the bugs we needed every bug known in current 226. You can still review them here.
BOZO
OldUnreal Member

Possible bug with DXT1 mesh texture mapping code

Post by BOZO »

Smirftsch,

Here is an excerpt from the S3TC High Resolution Texturing project where I may have identified a Texturing bug as it relates to DXT1 textures being texture mapped onto meshes.
Ok some more testing completed.

If you create a mesh with a DXT1 texture applied or with a P8 texture applied and try to replace it with another DXT1 texture, you see the same increased TMAP time as shown in my previous post. Oddly, I created a mesh that uses eight different multiskin textures to cover all triangles and assigned DXT1 textures to them all and found that the TMAP time is the same as if you only had a single texture assigned to the mesh.

If you replace the DXT1 mesh textures with PCX textures (even up to all eight textures in the multiskin array in use at the same time and higher resolutions) you see no real net increase in rendering time.

Thus I am now thinking that a DXT1 texture assigned to a mesh triggers some native code sequence that is causing this increased processing time. I wonder if there is a bug causing the problem here. I don't see what it needs to recalculate from frame to frame... It also seems that DXT1 allowable resolution is limited from 32x32 to 2048x2048. No 16x16 or 4096x4096 textures seem to work without getting a GPF.

I think a look at the native mesh rendering sequence code might shed some light on this problem.

I think I have done all I can do at the moment to work around this issue with the limited information I have to work with. Some investigaton of the native mesh rendering code - specifically the texture mapping functionality as it relates to DXT1 textures may shed some added light on the problem.

Is it a bug? Not totally sure but it doesn't seem that it should need so long to process the texture each frame. I can provide a test mesh (with a DXT1 texture applied when imported) if you need one for your investigations.
Darn Floppy Feet!!
{KDS}BOZO/BOZO/LordBozo
BOZO
OldUnreal Member

Re: Possible bug with DXT1 mesh texture mapping co

Post by BOZO »

Ok looking at the problem some more....

Several overlapping issues are coming into play here that seem to be contributing to this issue.

1) The Various Unreal Patch Versions (224, 225, 226b, 226Gold) have varied responses to the use of DXT1 textures.

2) The GameRenderDevice currently assigned (S3 MeTaL for Windows, Direct 3D Support, Software Rendering, OpenGL Support, 3dfx Glide for Windows, PowerVR SGL for Windows) have varied responses to the use of DXT1 textures.

I'm going to have to work up a compatibility matrix for support of the DXT1 textures and PCX textures on meshes.

This is going to complicate the coding of the UnrealTextureUpgrade mutator....darn it all...

Darn Floppy Feet!!
{KDS}BOZO/BOZO/LordBozo
BOZO
OldUnreal Member

Re: Possible bug with DXT1 mesh texture mapping co

Post by BOZO »

Finished some compatibility testing for DXT1 texture support:

3dfx Glide: Not Tested.

S3 MeTaL for Windows: Not Tested.

Version 226: Not Tested.

Version 224:

Oldunreal Open GL: FULL SUPPORT. Surfaces and Meshes. TMAP = 0.1 for 4096x4096 textures applied to mesh. :)

Software Rendering: PROBLEMATIC with S3TC Texture replacement on surfaces. Meshes actually works fine. TMAP = 0.5.  :(

Power VR SGL for Windows: PROBLEMATIC with S3TC Texture replacement on surfaces. Meshes actually works fine. TMAP = 0.5.  :(

Direct 3D: HARD CRASH: S3TC Texture replacement on surfaces - this is a odd intermittant bug. 16x16 and 4096x4096 DXT1 textures not supported on Meshes. TMAP = 30.0.  :P

Version 225:

Software Rendering: FULL SUPPORT. Surfaces and Meshes. TMAP = 0.4.  :)

Power VR SGL for Windows: FULL SUPPORT. Surfaces and Meshes. TMAP = 0.4.  :)

Direct 3D: HARD CRASH: S3TC Texture replacement on surfaces - this is a odd intermittant bug. 16x16 and 4096x4096 DXT1 textures not supported on Meshes. TMAP = 30.0.  :P

Version 226 GOLD:

Software Rendering: FULL SUPPORT. Surfaces and Meshes. TMAP = 0.2.  :)

Direct 3D: FULL SUPPORT. Surfaces and Meshes. TMAP=0.5.  :)
Darn Floppy Feet!!
{KDS}BOZO/BOZO/LordBozo

Return to “Report Bugs in Unreal 226 versions”