For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Can't seem to change brightness / gamma

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
Mini-Me

Can't seem to change brightness / gamma

Post by Mini-Me »

Heya everyone!
I'm looking to play a bit of Unreal for the first time in over a year. :-)

I'm using the 227c patch, and I've been able to get *almost* everything set up perfectly through Wine...but I do have one problem, and it's going to get me pwnt pretty badly if I can't fix it. ;-) The brightness slider doesn't work, nor does changing the Display->Brightness setting in the advanced options or Unreal.ini. Even worse, the GammaOffset and GammaOffsetRed, Blue, and Green settings don't work for me, either. No matter what I change them to, the brightness stays the same (even if I restart Unreal - and the settings DO stick, so that's not the issue).

I'm not positive this is a Linux issue - it could be an problem with the OpenGL implementation in 227c, or it could be a driver issue (running the 100.14.19 Nvidia drivers on an 8800 GTX). However, my best guess is that it has to do with xorg and/or the nVidia drivers not respecting certain settings set in-game through Wine. This is because there are a few other settings that I noticed don't make a difference: No matter what I set UseAA and NumAASamples to, Unreal won't use AA unless I force it in the driver settings. Also, SwapInterval and RefreshRate don't make a difference, either - I have to force "Sync to VBlank" in the driver settings. All of this gives me the impression that the in-game Brightness and GammaOffset settings are similarly being ignored.

Has anyone here experienced a similar problem, Linux or no? Was anyone able to solve it and change the brightness (without literally changing the gamma for their whole computer in the nvidia driver settings)?
I'm not sure exactly what information I should be posting...for starters, I'm running the 64-bit Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy), Wine 0.9.46, and I'm using the default Compiz-Fusion window manager. It sucks, but it's pretty unlikely anyone is familiar with this particular setup :-/ If you like, I can also post my OpenGL settings from Unreal.ini, in case I'm running some weird combination of settings (doubtful, though - I only changed a few from the defaults, namely StartupFullscreen to False, DetailMax to 2, SinglePassDetail to True, SinglePassFog to True, NumAASamples to 4, and MaxAnisotropy to 8).

I've tried fiddling with the Wine setting "Allow the window manager to control the windows," but unchecking it only makes it a pain to get into windowed mode (and distinguish between that and fullscreen), rather than fixing anything.
Last edited by Mini-Me on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Re: Can't seem to change brightness / gamma

Post by GreatEmerald »

Try native run. If you can change gamma there, then it must be a problem of Wine. And use the native run anyway :D
Mini-Me

Post by Mini-Me »

I just tried a native run, but there are some issues...

I'm having sound problems just like the person in this thread:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206710111
ALAudio crashes Unreal upon opening it, and FMOD is very "stuttery." I've tried fiddling with some of the FMOD settings to no avail...

Also, there are some other problems I quickly noticed about the native version:
  • Unreal will crash if I run a command like "start nyleve" that changes the map. Here's the printout if I run it directly from the folder:

Developer Backtrace:
    [ 1] ./Core.so(_Z12HandleSignali+0x64) [0xf7b6b884]
    [ 2] [0xffffe500]
    [ 3] [0xacb7878]
    Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]
    Aborting.

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
  • Here's the printout if I run it from my /usr/bin/Unreal script:

Developer Backtrace:
    [ 1] ./Core.so(_Z12HandleSignali+0x64) [0xf7bea884]
    [ 2] [0xffffe500]
    [ 3] ./Core.so(_ZN7UObject15FindObjectFieldE5FNamei+0x50) [0xf7bc73f0]
    Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]
    Aborting.

/usr/bin/Unreal: line 3: 10512 Segmentation fault (core dumped) ./UnrealLinux.bin
  • This could probably be easily fixed by a few .ini tweaks, but I haven't bothered - on the botmatch menu, the only maps that show up are Elsinore and Fith.
  • Unreal isn't entirely respecting my control settings from User.ini. The game shows that they're set correctly in Menu->Options and Menu->Options->Customize Controls, etc., but I'm having some issues. For instance, my jump button (right ctrl) isn't working, nor is my crouch button (numpad 0). It could be an issue with the game, or it could be an issue with Linux itself not allowing these keys to be used (they work fine in Wine, though). However, it does pay attention to SOME of the controls set in User.ini (rather than defaulting), since the left and right arrows strafe rather than turn.
  • Also, my mouse sensitivity feels much slower than in Wine - then again, this is probably just because Wine handles the sensitivity differently, though (does it?).
  • Obviously, the preferences menu won't open, but Smirftsch already knows about this and mentioned that it's something that can't really be done.

However, the native version does respect the brightness setting from User.ini (although the slider still doesn't work). ;)
Last edited by Mini-Me on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Or the person below your both posts here ::) Yeap, let's ask Smirftsch for making sound work again. By the way, are you using ALSA drivers? And what version 227 is the one you have? I haven't tried out 227c yet, maybe something's fixed there.

The dev backtrace is not the only thing that should be mentioned, find the file UnrealLinux.bin.log and post those at www.pastebin.com and give the URL. It might tell what happened more specifically.

With mouse, can you change the mouse sensitivity setting then? It should make it normal again.

Now you have a good brightness version without an ability to hear anything! Great ;)
EAGLE_CoMa
OldUnreal Member

Post by EAGLE_CoMa »

Hi Mini-Me,
I cannot help you with sound problems, but i solved the crash on mapload by symlinking "maps" to the "Maps" folder

Code: Select all

cd Unreal
ln -s Maps maps
It seems there are problems with case sensitive searches which should switched to case insensitive ones
Last edited by EAGLE_CoMa on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mini-Me

Post by Mini-Me »

Oops - I didn't pay attention to the fact that it was indeed you that posted the other thread, GreatEmerald. :o

The pastebin of my UnrealLinux.bin.log file is at:
As EAGLE_CoMa suggested, this log proves that the problem with loading maps is due to case-sensitivity in Linux (I totally forgot about that!).

I'm using 227c, and I *think* I'm using ALSA drivers for Unreal, but I'm not positive, since I'm a bit of a Linux noob...I know that my system uses ALSA (as opposed to OSS or Pulse Audio) for sound playback on just about everything, but I don't know enough about the way the Linux audio systems work to know if that's a separate issue or not from what actual drivers I'm using. If you need me to run any diagnostic commands, just let me know.

I suppose the biggest problems I have with the native version are the stuttery sound and the fact that some keys aren't registering (i.e. ctrl for jump).

Using Wine, I can get around the brightness issue by firing up nvidia-settings and changing my gamma beforehand, so that's not really a huge deal - it's a bigger problem not being able to jump or crouch in the native version, given my weird control scheme ;)
Last edited by Mini-Me on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I never experienced trouble with keysettings or gamma. Both work fine for me (although I had to set the keys before playing, default setup is windows based and not working in linux). In 227c both Umenu and classic menu work fine for setting up keys and these settings are used then (at least for me). Where did you install Unreal to? Is it maybe a permission problem?
Need to check your logs.

For sound- biggest problem is, that OpenAL support for Linux is crap. I found a separate OpenAL version which seems to be better, but I was not able to make a working version with it yet - simply crashes as you experienced too already. So FMOD is the only working sound solution at the moment. There is some old crappy 2 speaker SDL version too, but its not even worth to try compiling it.
I hope to provide a working OpenAL version soon- however FMOD works fine on all my testsystems as well. Not sure whats the problem for you here. Probably some issue with sounddriver and fmod...
Anyway 227d is almost out which provides a stable server and client version then (hopefully) and this will give me some time to concentrate on linux build again.
Until then, please continue to report here, I need anything I can get :)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

wondering:
Init: Depth bits: 16
is this intentionally?
And tried the other speaker setups for FMOD?
What output device FMOD uses on your system (in ini)?
MamiyaOtaru

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

For sound- biggest problem is, that OpenAL support for Linux is crap. I found a separate OpenAL version which seems to be better, but I was not able to make a working version with it yet - simply crashes as you experienced too already.
Apologies if I state stuff you already know.  Just that I'm struggling with openAL for Linux UT myself.  I tried downloading the newest openal from [url=http://openal.org]openal.org[/url] and compiling (using gcc 2.95).  With that in place, I grabbed openUT from http://openut.sourceforge.net/ .   The idea was to get ALAudio.so compiled against a modern openAL library.

I was able to get it to compile after patching the openAL sections, as openAL has changed a bit ([url=http://www.geocities.com/mamiya0taru/alpatch.diff.txt]patch is here[/url]  I can't attach things?), and ended up with ALAudio.so, the other .so files and an UnrealTournament binary.  Unfortunately any combo of my new so and or new binary with the old binary or so causes a crash.  Only the old binary and .so work.  I'm not sure why that is,  or even if I'm coming at it right.  

I'm not an expert on OpenAL, so while the patches are sufficient to compile, they may not be sufficient to run, though I thought I had it pretty good. Other possibilities: I assume with the old binary and ALAudio.so the openal library was statically compiled in somewhere.  Did I perhaps not get the new openAL library compiled in statically?  Do I need a very specific version of GCC? (2.95.4 or something?  I was pretty sure it would be ABI compatible between 2.95.whatever ;) )  OpenAL itself had some dependencies for compiling. For those I apt-get installed the appropriate -dev packages, but perhaps there are issues with the dependencies of OpenAL having been compiled with something other than gcc 2.95 (I get a little lost with stuff like that).

I don't know where else to discuss it, so I thought I'd throw it out here.  I'm sort of beat by this for now, but maybe the patch can help, and conversely maybe you can tell me why I'm coming at it all wrong and where to approach it from.

-jason
Last edited by MamiyaOtaru on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Unfortunately its not that easy. The OpenAL I made has not much in common with that version. To many things had to be changed, many things added, others removed.
And although working fine in windows, the OpenAL still doesn't really work in linux because OpenAL is stuck here with version 0.8 (while windows is now 1.1?). The subversion directory provides a newer version, but still lacks many things (including EAX/EFX).
The other version I need to make some test runs with, is called openal-soft, which seems to be developed independent from another guy and is supposed to support EFX as well, but so far I only have a segfault when trying to run it (may be because it can be only build with cmake, which drives me nutz since i have to force it to use older gcc 3.3.6 and -m32 on my system, which again doesn't seem to work as expected).
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Why is it stuck there then? Like, they didn't make a package for Linux or something?
And I saw FMOD updating, maybe the latest one will work better?

Return to “Linux-Board”