For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unused

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
DerRotDrache
OldUnreal Member

Unused

Post by DerRotDrache »

I guess I'll have to get Atta(A.K.A. Synuah) on this board and bring it new life.

-Der Rot Drache
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Unused

Post by Smirftsch »

yeah, guess there are not that many linux users along us unrealers. :)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
DerRotDrache
OldUnreal Member

Post by DerRotDrache »

Very True, I run WinXP myself just because I have a few peices of prototype hardware. I used to run it under Linux with WineX and thats exactly what Atta does. She is to damned good with it too. She wrote her own drivers for her Voodoo 5 so it would work under Linux. I have never seen a person with so much hatred toward microsoft products. Yet every now and again I come home and she is already here playing on my unreal box hehehe...I been damned the day I gave her a key to my house. :P
-Der Rot Drache
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

lol, somehow sounds lovely, i think i could enjoy it :P
Ram

Post by Ram »

If she's that good can she not write an installer for U1 todo away with Wine?

Ram
Canadian_Bacon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Canadian_Bacon »

I'm gonna try running unreal in linux, i hear that theres a better performance increase when you run it in linux, is this true?

i currently have a dell inspiron 1100

integrated graphics with 64 mb from physical memory

640 mb of ram pc2100

2.4 ghz celeron :-/

i can play in either software or direct3d, my gfx chip doesn't like open gl in any games. I don't care about pretty pictures and the such becasue that also slows it down. the max fps i get is amazingly 60 fps whenever i look at 1 wall ;D but soon as i start playing it drops down to 25-30 and begins to lag if i see more then 2 other players or if there are lots of polys. i even have coomputer lag in such servers like SA us server where i have like 98 ping. It feels like i have 150 ping. i got to C server, which is my server and it responds perfectly. Either my comp is weird or my connection is bad but this never used to happen before. The main thing that i want is a better frame rate. so could you help me out?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

the major problem is the grafix card- if you want to play in linux u need to have a fully opengl capable card, to reach really better performance- i run unreal in linux, and i really could increase my fps by arround 10%- although it seems a lil unlogical. But to use d3d in linux u'd need cedega (formaly known as winex) and i dont expect to run d3d with better framerates in linux. So you're trapped. In both cases you only can increase ur framerates with buying a new grafix card. Maybe you can see if you can buy some old gf4 or so from ebay. Then u'd have the choice to play with wine in linux and opengl, or to try the opengl patches from here in windows. For the moment i could offer you to send you a new d3d8 renderer for unreal, which isnt public yet, but i'm not sure this will help.
Canadian_Bacon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Canadian_Bacon »

Ok theres no hope then, i can't upgrade a laptops gfx ;D

Also i'm not up to running linux on my comp, i tried making a second partition and ended up having to reformat my comp :D o well, i'll put linux on the comp i'm going to biuld, my current laptop has a small HD and i don't wanna upgrade. My new comp is going to have 300 gb so i'll make a small partition for linux
tombombidil

Post by tombombidil »

ok then, what if I don't want to run a windows emulator?

the whole point of linux (in my eyes at least) is to not have to worry about all the crap that goes on in a windows system.

so..... for me, running linux is more of a security thing, which running an emulator will basically annul.

anyone help? I really want to play on my new comp, but idk if that's possible
Canadian_Bacon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Canadian_Bacon »

NEW!! could you give specs tom? also Wazzup!! you listened to my post on C forums ;D if you have a fairly new comp, you shouldn't have to use linux to play unreal. Also theirs another thread that explains how to use the UT console to install unreal for linux but it only works well with nvidia or something. I'm not really that experienced with linux so hopefully some experts will post something..........COUGH
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

then u didnt understand the idea of wine- Wine Is Not an Emulator. As a matter of fact it provides a windows api, means to run windows programs within linux without necessarily have any windows related stuff installed. So if you can't run a program in linux wine is a good choice not to renounce something. Probably there will be never a real linux port for unreal, so you'd have to use UT and play oldskool or quit playin unreal.

Return to “Linux-Board”