For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

strange this...isnt it?

Hardware & Driver related problems
Argh
OldUnreal Member

strange this...isnt it?

Post by Argh »

hia folks
i wondered why unreal runs laggy or jerky...
so i typed timedemo and :

on deck the avg fps while wandering around was around 120

then accidentialy i faced a plain wall ! and 2 polys in sight...the fps went down to 70!!!...and thats on plain walls !

ive tested diff resolutions ,vsync on and off

recently ive installed ut and q3...everything is normal there and no framedropping while lookin at walls ;D
seems its only in u1

any ideas?
Kerilkkorn
OldUnreal Member

Re: strange this...isnt it?

Post by Kerilkkorn »

Detail textures and maybe S3TC, but well 70 fps is way enough, it shouldn't make the game jerky.
Anyway you can reduce DetailMax to 2 or 1.....

What is your video card?
War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left...
Argh
OldUnreal Member

Post by Argh »

card is asus 7100 gf2 mx but i dont belive that it has to do with it. cpu is xp1800+.

i play usually with vsync enabled (monitor is on 85hz) so framerate wont go over 85 fps...in ut and q3 its never lower then 85 fps and games are pretty smooth.

but i cant understand why unreal runs at 85 too with many action going on and drops down to 46 if i face a wall or places with few polys...i recognized that it happens mainly on dark places (shadows)

seems the unrealgod doesnt like me longer
;D
Argh
OldUnreal Member

Post by Argh »

ow and thx much for reply ;)

Return to “Hardware & Drivers”