For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[LINUX] - installation guide

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
vide0hanz
OldUnreal Member

[LINUX] - installation guide

Post by vide0hanz »

Installation Guide

Hey everyone, I quickly threw together a repo on github which contains most of the missing libraries in order to get Unreal 277i working on Linux natively. This should hold us linux users over until 277j goes public beta. I have updated the archive to include a version of LibSDL which should automatically detect your preferred monitor (if using a muilti monitor setup), as well as easy windowed/fullscreen switching -- it doesn't resize the game correctly, but it at least lets you task switch without any weirdness.

I've also included a helper script to launch the game, as well as a working .ini file in case the game does not generate one on a new installation.

Again, I just threw this together really quickly and I have plans to update the guide with some other handy tricks, but for now I figured I'd post this as I see it get asked a lot how to get this old game working :)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: [LINUX] - installation guide

Post by Smirftsch »

Thanks a lot!
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

genuinely dumbfounded why this has been stickied
Moved from Unreal 227 to Linux-Board on Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:50 am by Smirftsch

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

plain because it is helpful.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

Smirftsch wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:17 am plain because it is helpful.
it isn't. rather harmful tbh.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Actually it's helpful. New users will certainly appreciate. Or are you the type to tell others to figure everything out by themselves, gatekeeping existing knowledge for no reason? If so, you and people like you are why there aren't more Linux users. Nobody wants to enter a swamp where they'll find next to no help...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I wonder if you see me that way too.

Even though I'm not gatekeeping anything, I always tell when someone asks.

Linux has its own problems these days and it can be extremely fragile if you don't know what you're doing.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:44 amI wonder if you see me that way too.
I don't. We have our share of disagreements and fallouts, and periods of silence but THAT in particular I don't see right to accuse you of.
Leo T_C_K wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:44 amEven though I'm not gatekeeping anything, I always tell when someone asks.
Yeah...
Leo T_C_K wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:44 amLinux has its own problems these days and it can be extremely fragile if you don't know what you're doing.
Same can be said about ANY operating system nowadays. And it's been that way since the beginning: mess something major up and the only way to fix crap is a complete fresh reinstall. It's just a matter of what you do and on what system.

This guide here is a simplistic step-by-step solution to install Unreal on Linux natively. I don't have Linux on any machine (yet - this will change, but not for Unreal's benefit and I'm not going to go into severe offtopic to explain why specifically I require Linux), so I cannot test it.

However I know this much. If one says something is rather harmful, it's on them to IMMEDIATELY and SPECIFICALLY explain WHY it's harmful, rather than throw a nebulous accusation and disappear. No, tlk, you are not entitled to being "politely asked", requested or begged for an explanation. You should've given it immediately, rather than throw these short inflammatory lines.
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:44 am Linux has its own problems these days and it can be extremely fragile if you don't know what you're doing.
Exactly. What I always say - do find out what. It's not rocket science (by far not). And when (and if) one does, they'll rather appreciate the view I've expressed.

And no, one general purpose OS is not by nature significantly more fragile than the (certain) other one. That said, spreading poor practices (what we do see left and right with the relative influx of users to Linux) certainly propagates this myth. That's precisely my gripe. Otherwise, I couldn't care.

It's all learned.

Return to “Linux-Board”