For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

the new openGL fix

Questions, Tips&Tricks for the special patches
PeaceKeeper
OldUnreal Member

the new openGL fix

Post by PeaceKeeper »

I can't seem to get this working. I started with fresh install, then did patch with 266Final. Followed instructions in the zip file (d3d1001-ogl2104.zip). I submitted a bug report.
after unzipping, I run unreal in safemode and get these errors.
http://www.nd.edu/~pwightma/unreal/error_msg1.jpg
http://www.nd.edu/~pwightma/unreal/error_msg2.jpg

I would really appreaciate any help anyone can give. I haven't used Smirf's patch before becauseI didn't need it (voodoo card). But since I upgraded to my geforce4, unreal looks and feels like crap. :(
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: the new openGL fix

Post by Smirftsch »

it seems to be that you made something wrong with the patch version; be sure that you use 2.1.0.4 for Unreal 224 and 2.1.0.5 for Unreal version 226 - it should be working if u patch ur unreal again with the original patch of your choice and then install again the patch files following the install instructions - that means simply to copy the files for the 224 into the 224 system directory, for 226f only copy the .dll files and for unreal gold (226b) again the complete package. If it isnt still working feel free to email me or to meet me in icq or irc.
;)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
PeaceKeeper
OldUnreal Member

Post by PeaceKeeper »

I swear that I clicked onteh 2105 link yesterday and got 2104! OOPS.
downloaded 2105 today, coppied just the dll and it worked.

only 3 fps improvement over D3D though. :( What kind of performance over D3D is everyone else seeing?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

the main reason for the opengl patch for me was that d3d - doesnt matter how much fps i got always was still jerky, looked bit like frameskipping; it never ran smooth; Aside this opengl looks in my opinion much more beautiful if u adjust the advanced options for eye-candy. Unreal with all effects and all beauty together with a good playable fps rate. Don't count only on fps, what do u need all the fps for if the grafix in the game is lookin like on my old C64.
Vysisti

Post by Vysisti »

the main reason for the opengl patch for me was that d3d - doesnt matter how much fps i got always was still jerky, looked bit like frameskipping; it never ran smooth; Aside this opengl looks in my opinion much more beautiful if u adjust the advanced options for eye-candy. Unreal with all effects and all beauty together with a good playable fps rate. Don't count only on fps, what do u need all the fps for if the grafix in the game is lookin like on my old C64.
Same here, after I got Hercules (Radeon) 3D 8500LE, Unreal is now jerky a h*ll. I had no probs with my old GF2 mx400 though, and the fps is fine now, but it's just jerky. So I installed that opengl fix, and Unreal is running smoothly now, but some of the textures seem to be f*cked up. Like water, it looks terrible and floor textures also seem to be "blinking". I play MP only, so it's fine now, but it just doesn't look as good as it should.
Edit: I'm using version 226f and the opengl fix 2.1.0.5, OS win98. Maybe it's this VIA mobo...
Edit2: [url]http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~selindgr/misc/phucked_unreal/[/url] some screenshots, so you know what I mean. I'd just like to know if this is common problem with the opengl or is it just my fekkin comp.
Last edited by Vysisti on Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

seems to be you are running it at 16 bpp, check ur opengl settings in advanced options of your grafix card ans set desktop color depth to 32bpp too , this should fix it
Vysisti

Post by Vysisti »

I'm already using 32bit colors.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

the only thing i can imagine is some kind of driver problem...or...recognized some similar problem on a computer with a damaged geforce card....

do u use the latest drivers already ?
Vysisti

Post by Vysisti »

Hmm, I have no problems with GTA3. I just don't understand why Unreal is so jerky with D3D. I have the latest Via 4in1 drivers and latest drivers from Hercules. I tried also latest drivers by Ati, but it f*cked up the fog effect it GTA3 and didn't help much with D3D in Unreal.

Thanks anyways for trying to help :)
WannaBeMatt

Post by WannaBeMatt »

have some problems with that one too, but not that serious... i would it call a minor problem, since i am really glad that the game even *runs* on my system. have a look at this screenie : [url]http://members.aol.com/MailBen007//unrealopengl.jpg[/url]
the background textures have a black border... i think they should be translucent, dont they?
Kerilkkorn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Kerilkkorn »

Are you playing oldskool?
if not post the unreal version you are using.
(2.24 or 2.25 or 2.26)
War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left...
LeJimster
OldUnreal Member

Post by LeJimster »

Are you playing oldskool?
if not post the unreal version you are using.
(2.24 or 2.25 or 2.26)
I have the same problem, everything looks fine except for the black area in the skybox that should be masked off. I'm using 2.26 and the latest OGL drivers from this wonderful site :).

I'm really appreciative of what u guys do, I mainly play UT now, but i like to come back to Unreal every so often now.  Before i got these OGL drivers Unreal crashed alot, so now im happy cuz i can play the game all the way through once more :).  (It's my once yearly tradition :D).

I just tried the S3TC textures of the 2nd CD for Unreal, and although i appreciate everybodys efforts twards that, im going to disable it and put the old textures back, alot of the textures and the sizing just isn't right - Being a mapper myself i notice these things alot more than the average joe and it spoils the fun :(.  But keep at what ur doing for the community its all very postive

Here's a pic of my Unreal.  
[URL]http://www.ut2003central.com/TEMP/Shot0000.jpg[/URL]
Note it just happens on skyboxes, tree leaves etc are fine.

EDIT -- I take back my statement about the S3TC's, i didn't restart Unreal after enabling them in advanced options, and when i just loaded unreal up i imediately noticed the difference, looks great :) there's still some sizing thats slightly wrong in the game, but its a nice improvement indeed :D
Last edited by LeJimster on Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
WannaBeMatt

Post by WannaBeMatt »

same here. Using the Original Unreal with Patch v2.26f
@LeJimster: is the skybox looking right now that you installed the compressed textures?
Kerilkkorn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Kerilkkorn »

It should be looking good with Hi-res S3TC textures but if you enconter problem with this particular package, try to put back Unreal original Skybox.utx as there are no Hi-res textures in this package.

I included it in the patch for ease of use....

LeJimster : are you using the fix for masked textures when you run unreal?
Last edited by Kerilkkorn on Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeJimster
OldUnreal Member

Post by LeJimster »

It should be looking good with Hi-res S3TC textures but if you enconter problem with this particular package, try to put back Unreal original Skybox.utx as there are no Hi-res textures in this package.

I included it in the patch for ease of use....

LeJimster : are you using the fix for masked textures when you run unreal?
Yes i am using the masking bug fix that i bind to a key right now, but i hope this is only a temporary fix, unless somebody knows how to automate this fix into loading maps its pretty annoying having to do it for each map....
WannaBeMatt

Post by WannaBeMatt »

where should one look for that masking fix? i can't find it here, either it is not available on this site or i am blind
Kerilkkorn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Kerilkkorn »

The fix is in the help files of the latest openGL patch that you will find in the download section.

For the temporary fix, in fact smirftsch knows a way to fix the issue but he still has problem with netcomp. But I'm confident that eventually we'll fix it.

Return to “OpenGL & D3D for Unreal & UnrealTournament”