For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Oggs on ALAudio & GalaxyAudio

This forum is for the new audio renderer for UEngine 1 based games, like Unreal, UnrealTournament, DeusEx and Rune. Missing a Game? Want to develop yourself? Let us know!
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Oggs on ALAudio & GalaxyAudio

Post by .:..: »

Would it be possible to add Ogg/MP3 sounds/musics support for ALAudioDrv and Galaxy Audio subsystem?
This seams to be working all right with FMod already though (when you import into UnrealEd a MP3 or Ogg as a sound, but for Ogg's you have to change their file extension to MP3 before so its possible to import them).
At least this isnt working on 227a (or in any other unreal version as matter of fact).
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
fxsr789

Re: Oggs on ALAudio & GalaxyAudio

Post by fxsr789 »

It should be possible to import .OGG or .MP3 as "Music" in .UMX packages and such. If that is, not to much of a hassle for the final 227 release when the time comes, however I can obviously see this breaking compatibility but I don't give a dammed about compatibility any longer, This dragon in this for the features.

- Fenix
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

since i do believe we should do our utmost best to preserve compatibility...

is there any chance of implenting .ogg support without breaking compatibility in the patch itself? i mean it worked aswell with skeletal animation right? the only time the incompatibility surfaces is when someone actually uses the psa/psk animation format...
Raven
OldUnreal Member

Post by Raven »

If Smirf will release public headers (if it isn't forbidden by NDA), then I can port Mp3Player to 227. Now player is more complete, but still requires implementation inside gametype code (in event postlogin - to handle load/save actions).
OldUnreal Member

If Smirf will release public headers (if it isn't forbidden by NDA), then I can port Mp3Player to 227. Now player is more complete, but still requires implementation inside gametype code (in event postlogin - to handle load/save actions).
I'd still rather have this feature built in on 227, so other clients don't have to go manually download the required files somewhere to listen on some map songs.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

mmh, to be honest, I didn't mess with it again because of the big bunch of 227 things which needed to be done. In theory, adding .ogg support to OpenAL shouldn't be a big problem (ok, as usual it will probably take way longer as expected, but...:P)
Well, what can I say. No idea if or when I will have time for that, although a pretty nice feature of course.
As for compatibility, there will be no problem unless an older client, which don't support it, tries to load and play a map which contains .ogg music.
For Galaxy- since its half-closed (don't have the full sources, guess because some agreement with creative)- there is lil chance to build it in, and I don't wanna mess with it.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
OldUnreal Member

mmh, to be honest, I didn't mess with it again because of the big bunch of 227 things which needed to be done. In theory, adding .ogg support to OpenAL shouldn't be a big problem (ok, as usual it will probably take way longer as expected, but...:P)
Well, what can I say. No idea if or when I will have time for that, although a pretty nice feature of course.
As for compatibility, there will be no problem unless an older client, which don't support it, tries to load and play a map which contains .ogg music.
For Galaxy- since its half-closed (don't have the full sources, guess because some agreement with creative)- there is lil chance to build it in, and I don't wanna mess with it.
Actually the only problem is when a non-FMod Audio Drv player tries to play Ogg sounds atm. So thats why I had to create a mutator which checks whenever client is on FMod or not, but still I'd prefer that every 227 player could hear them :P
Oh well, if FMod is set as default audio driver on 227, I think that like 95 % of users will be using it then anyway.
(ಠ_ಠ)
fxsr789

Post by fxsr789 »

I hate the legal system. Period.

Legal restrictions are B.S.

- Fenix
Raven
OldUnreal Member

Post by Raven »

Why not adding mp3/ogg support independent of audio driver ? Like making additional dll which will handle playing mp3/ogg and then only make changes in rest of native code to stop/start playing music when loading a map/save. this way even a galaxy users will be able to hear mp3/ogg.
OldUnreal Member

Why not adding mp3/ogg support independent of audio driver ? Like making additional dll which will handle playing mp3/ogg and then only make changes in rest of native code to stop/start playing music when loading a map/save. this way even a galaxy users will be able to hear mp3/ogg.
Dosen't really matter for me as long as even the dumbest person can use it aswell.
Like if you host a server with a map that runs a Ogg or MP3 as theme music, so only requirement would be that client is using 227 (and nothing like "Go download this from here and that from there." when the user enters the server), otherwise they wont get it and just thinks "this sucks" and leaves again.
(ಠ_ಠ)
OldUnreal Member

Just a reminder of this topic, supporting Ogg samples on OpenAL would also make it possible to compress sound packages and use high quality sounds in them, this is basicly how sound packages are compressed in UT3 (by converting the sounds into Oggs).
(ಠ_ಠ)
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Any idea if "StrangeOgg" is any use ?
http://unreal.fvenegas.com/redirect/
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

don't see anything like StrangeOgg there or am I blind again? :)
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

don't see anything like StrangeOgg there or am I blind again? :)

StrangeOgg.dll.uz  12-Oct-2009 08:36  206K   http://unreal.fvenegas.com/redirect/StrangeOgg.dll.uz
StrangeOgg.u.uz    12-Oct-2009 08:36  3.3K   http://unreal.fvenegas.com/redirect/StrangeOgg.u.uz

F3 + paste 
only looked becuase i tend to read every post here , 
5 year old topic   ;D
Last edited by BobIsUnreal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Doh, sorry I could have been more precise.
Seems to be an implementation by the StrangeLove community, but I have no experience with it. I just keep stumbling upon it on various servers/redirects.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

:o
RvMp3Player
mp3player for UT v.436. It handles both ogg and mp3
http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=258

No idea how this was missed, but the source is available and it looks flexible to  8-)

*EDIT*
And then I find the the updated version!  :D
Supports many audio files (flac, mp2, mp3, ogg, wma, wav)
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/UE1:RMusicPlayer
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio/tools.html
Last edited by Dr.Flay™ on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

this is a so old topic... ogg is supported for music a long long time in 227, in all audio renderers... and if its worth it for sound- tbh, except being bigger in size there is no reason not to use wav files.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

I appreciate that, but this allows people editing in UT, to add more formats.
And it was hardly worth starting a new thread. Anyone who subscribed or favourited this thread in the hope of a solution for UT now has another option ;D
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

that's definitely true. :)

Return to “ALAudio (OpenAL), FMOD (FMOD3 and FMOD Ex) or other new audio renderer for UEngine 1 Games”