For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

How about a patch?

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
©ÑØØß_Kræw™
OldUnreal Member

How about a patch?

Post by ©ÑØØß_Kræw™ »

Ok so I've considered reinstalling Unreal 2 out of shear boredom. The only thing holding me back is that this game crashes/lags the most out of any Unreal Engine game period. You can play a custom map with lots of terrain, lag. You can make a simple subclass and save as a package then summon it in game, crash.

So my question is this: Can someone, or anyone for that matter pull off a '227' for Unreal 2? It doesn't have to do much. It can be simple Uscript fixes for all I care. Maybe rework some parent classes here and there. Whatever the case I'd like to see something done for the Unreal 2's single player. XMP's got enough attention already.

After all, who cares about package version mismatches for Unreal 2?  ;)
Information about information about information about information
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: How about a patch?

Post by Smirftsch »

actually, I fully agree with you. It wouldn't be even much to do to fix many of the known issues.
The answer about my question to get the sources however was answered again with the well known sentence: "We don't have the bandwidth to..." and something like they would have to dig out all stuff together and no time for that or whatever.
The script part however could be indeed done, but I doubt it could cover the crashes and lag problems alone.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Mind you, most of the instability problems can be done away by changing some settings (like DirectMusic, it causes a lot of instability on Vista+ machines) or avoiding doing some things (like pressing the "..." button in UnrealEd). Also note that there are a lot of still undocumented features in the game. Golem Studio, for instance, I have just recently documented on the Wiki here.
©ÑØØß_Kræw™
OldUnreal Member

Post by ©ÑØØß_Kræw™ »

Well since I don't primarily use Vista (who does? lol) / Windows 7, I don't know what to make of Unreal 2 on that platform. I do however sometimes crash on XP's DirectMusic when playing Unreal 2, so it might be outdated API calls or something.

All I want to happen for Unreal 2's single player is to have an ongoing patch like 227 is for Unreal. I'm willing to do bug testing as long as enough people are interested in Unreal 2 anymore.
Information about information about information about information
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Well since I don't primarily use Vista (who does? lol) / Windows 7
I do, and I think GreatEmerald was merely suggesting that anything more recent than XP will encounter this problem. The DirectMusic API has indeed been dumped and the various calls to it in U2 are ineffective. Usually though, they do not crash. I recently played through the game without encountering any crash linked directly to them. Most problems came from scripts breaking completely and the game crashing soon after.

As for people interested in U2, I would be greatly surprised if there were more than ten of us worldwide.
You must construct additional pylons.
Hyzoran
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyzoran »

Fixing the bugs is not the problem, fixing the game to be good is however, not only will it be a massive undertaking to make it actually good, we dont have the bandwidth to pull off such a task.
Nothing
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

"We dont have the bandwidth to pull off such a task."
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

;D
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

bandwidth is  unrelated,  So i suppose your refereeing to manpower, with that quote?

Unreal 2  isnt really that broken it is  alot  less  broken them many other retail games i have seen ut2004 and postal2  to name a few crash almost every 4 maps ,unreal2's
( how the heck do you run out of virtual memory when you have 4 gb ram and a 20gb swap file with 80gb free???? ut2k4 logic there)
biggest disappointment was no multiplayer and XMP was a complete  fail

u2 is one reason why people still  choose to use xp  and 32 bit , I dont want to worry if the game will fail due to some discontinued API  or some new security 'feature'...I still have unreal 2 installed here although i lost interest halfway tho the game
mainly since i cant pull myself away from playing oldunreal for more then a few hours without getting  withdrawl. ;D
Last edited by BobIsUnreal on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Post by rdy2bz »

I am one of the ten people worldwide who have greater interest in U2 than in Unreal. But apart from random crashes once in a while I never experienced larger problems with U2, so I'm almost happy.
alone alive again
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

bandwidth is  unrelated,  So i suppose your refereeing to manpower, with that quote?
The bandwidth excuse is the one Epic pulls when they want to politely decline something suggested by smirftsch. It's not related to manpower.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

I'd imagine that there is enough interest in it (it is just marvellous as a development platform for SP games, by the way), as after all XMP games after being in decline for 5 years or so came back and are continuing to this day, thanks to improved communication nowadays (XFire, Google+, Steam, Facebook etc.).
Qtit
OldUnreal Member

Post by Qtit »

Well, we've got four, cos I'd be interested in that Unreal 2 thing as well.

I enjoyed Unreal 2 very much the first time I played it and really would love to see that thing working... Well, let's say, working. Cos I had many problems as it comes to stability.

And, I'd really be interested in projects for Unreal 2 as - indeed - "is just marvellous as a development platform for SP games"... Yea.
omer666
OldUnreal Member

Post by omer666 »

Sorry to bring that topic from the dead, but I'm interested in Unreal 2 as well.
Do you think it may be possible to port Unreal 2 to UT2004 ? I know that this is not exactly the same engine, but things that are not compatible may be retro-engineered/re-written/whatever.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

If you have tons of times on your hand, it's only a matter of time to port the classes, textures, sounds, meshes and so on I guess. Good luck with the animated golem meshes though, this should be very funny.
iLikeTheUDK
OldUnreal Member

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

LOL Yeah.

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”