For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Terrain question and hello :)

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
Procyon

Terrain question and hello :)

Post by Procyon »

First of all, I really should say hello and introduce myself. Been a huge fan of the Unreal games ever since the original was released in 1998 (making me, what, 11, 12 years old at the time? Christ!). Kind of lost faith after Unreal Tournament 3, but I still have a big place in my heart for the older entries in the series, especially the original and Unreal 2 (or at leas, what it COULD have been...), and have always enjoyed tooling around and creating levels, fiddling with code, etc.

Eitherway, I have a question which I thought I'd put to you guys, as I know there are several people who've had experience with Unreal 2's editor here. I've been following Worch's tutorial on creating terrain to the letter, and am still having no luck with actually getting a terrain to show. Although I can get all the way up to defining textures and alphas for the terrain without a crash, even after I have rebuilt everything in the map, I simply cannot get the terrain to display. Has anybody had more luck with getting terrain to build than I have? If so, where could I be going wrong? Any advice would be hugely appreciated :)
PS, for reference, I'm running the 2001 patch over the standard retail version of the game.
Cheers!
"All you have to is look out for a little extra brightness in the sky. So if you wake up one morning and it's a particularly beautiful day, you'll know we made it."
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

Re: Terrain question and hello :)

Post by [§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ »

Welcome to the forum. :)

What do you mean by "it's not showing"? If you use terrain brush, be sure to subtract it (and not add). Is the brush there after you subtract it?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Did you set a zoneinfo with bterrainzone to true ?

If yes, did you take into account that the Terrain usually appears about 8192 units below the terraininfo actor ? That's a lot of space. Make a HUGE cube and make you sure it's at least 8192 units high (then you can drag the terrain higher).

The Terrain creation always worked for me. Worch's tutorial is well made, it shouldn't pose problem. I really think it's the 8192 units thing that gets in your way. Make a cube of 16384 units inheight and put the terrain actor to the top. See if something appears then.
You must construct additional pylons.
Procyon

Post by Procyon »

Hey, thanks for the replies, guys :)

@ [§[ch340]] [ch356]h[ch283]x[ch272]â[ch341]k[ch347]î[ch273][ch283][ch341] - I'm using the terraininfo actor, not the old brush method :)  I'm pretty familiar with Unreal's rather quirky-but-awesome style of CSG.  It's the sort of thing I wouldn't put past myself though  :D  Cheers for the welcome!

@ Hellkeeper - Ahh cheers for those pieces of advice - that may well be where I was going wrong.  Nah Worch's tuts are the best and most thorough I've read in years (cheers for archiving them BTW).  I just thought there must have been something I'd missed along the line.  Eitherway, I'll give those tips a try and report back  :)

EDIT - Hellkeeper - Your advice worked a treat! Thanks a ton, matey!
Last edited by Procyon on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All you have to is look out for a little extra brightness in the sky. So if you wake up one morning and it's a particularly beautiful day, you'll know we made it."
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Yay, welcome :D From the description it seems you're very similar to me, U2 cut content very, very interests me as well! Have you read my article on the cut content of U2 over at the Liandri Archives?

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”