For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

How To Make A Floating Island.

Ask UnrealEd 2 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
UnrealPlayer
OldUnreal Member

How To Make A Floating Island.

Post by UnrealPlayer »

This tutorial will show you how to make a floating island! :)

First:Right click on CubeBuilder and edit Imageproperties:Height=8192 Width=8192 Breadth=8192,and click Build.

[img][/img]

Now Subtract

[img][/img]

Now Right click CubeBuilder again and edit the properties: Height=256 Width=256 Breadth=256,and check Tessellated to True

[img][/img]

Now open your Texture Browser and open GenEarth.utx and select any texture you like

[img][/img]

Now click the Add button

[img][/img]

Now Add the Brush on each side and corners of the middle one like so:

[img][/img]

Now do the same thing under the brushes:

[img][/img]

Now right click CubeBuilder and edit properties: Height=1024 Width=1024 Breadth=1024,and uncheck tessellated(if you have it already checked).

[img][/img]

Now move the Red Cube Brush so that is in the middle of the brushes and click the Intersect Button.

[img][/img]

Now move the new Red Builder Brush away and select the already added ones and delete them.

[img][/img]

Now move the Red Builder Brush back To origin
and select Vertex Editing Mode

[img][/img]

Now Hold CTRL and ALT and the left mouse button to select the vertices at the middle at a side of the brush then hold CTRL and left mouse button and move them foward using like so:

[img][/img]

It should then look like this:

[img][/img]

Now do the same thing to the rest of the sides:

[img][/img]

Now we will make our island good looking,select the vertices on the sides using the top viewport like so and move them foward

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Now do the same thing to the rest of the sides:

[img][/img]

Now we have a better looking  island,but it looks flat at the bottom so we go into Camera Movement Mode and select the 4 vertices at the bottom and move them down.
Note:you can only select one vertex at a time.

[img][/img]

Now click the Add Button

[img][/img]

Now we have our island,But were not finished yet!

Now select a texture on the brush and press and hold SHIFT and B(This will select all textures on the brush)
now press F5 to bring up the surface properties and click "Alignment"Tab and then click on "Wall Direction"

[img][/img]

Now select a texture on the top of the brush and press and holds SHIFT and F(This will select all the textures on the top)now go back to your surface properties and click "Align to Floor"

[img][/img]

And now were finished building our island! 8-) 8-)

[img][/img]
Last edited by UnrealPlayer on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dozey
OldUnreal Member

Re: How To Make A Floating Island.

Post by Dozey »

this is beautiful but for what reason you added this turtorial??? :-/ The floating island could be made from every brush or could be copyed from levels like SkyTown. I don't see that could be a mover brush so why you putted this topic?? ::)
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

I'll follow the tutorial later, at a mate's atm but it look interesting :)
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Indeed, it's quite the common knowledge. It could be a non-floating island just as well.
WhirlWindWabbit
OldUnreal Member

Post by WhirlWindWabbit »

Nice work :) Good to see some people are keen to helping.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That tutorial sounds awfuly similar like something found on other site....forgot what it was.

Anyway hi Whirl, didn't see you anywhere for a long time, lol!
WhirlWindWabbit
OldUnreal Member

Post by WhirlWindWabbit »

Thank you. I've been under the radar for a few years now due to personal reasons. I'm back though, and trying to catch up on what I've missed. I'm just done fixing up Zephon to version 2.0, you can find the thread on UnrealSP.org if you wish. Will release it tomorrow :) My first contribution after about 3 years.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Will the new version have different mapnames? You know, to avoid mismatches and stuff, or is it the same? You could name the maps as v20 or something. Two servers run 120 actually.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “UnrealEd 2, the editor for UnrealTournament”