For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Annoying Map Error!

Ask UnrealEd 1 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
Rocky
OldUnreal Member

Annoying Map Error!

Post by Rocky »

Not sure if this is on right Section.
This is related to UT UnrealEd 2.0.

I am working on an RX map mainly like a Space Battle. I have completed
all the Geometry Design and time for adding Lights over there, but
whenever I added light there my Editor crashes and thats
so Annoying.

Which causes this Error:

Can someone help me out??
Here's the map if you want to take a look: http://www.mediafire.com...1bsa3w/CTF-SpaceDogs.zip
Last edited by Rocky on Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Annoying Map Error!

Post by Hellkeeper »

Sounds like the kind of things I spend my holidays debugging, but I can't download your map.
You must construct additional pylons.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

Hi there.

Try this one.

Export the whole map, close the editor. Open the editor again, load all Packages which are included in your map and reimport the Map it in to your Editor.

this fixed many strange crashes for me.

I Hope it works
Rocky
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rocky »

I tried that method, but still no luck :(
Same Error Occurred.
Last edited by Rocky on Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
SFJake
OldUnreal Member

Post by SFJake »

How do you add said light?

Get into 2D views and add the light manually.
SFJake Center -
Unreal Nightmare - http://sfjake.byethost7.com/unrealnmproject.html
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

than try this...

try to add any actor... like scaled sprite or what ever :D

And use the same properties settings like a light.

Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

Im going to help :) but I must take a look on map itself and your link is broken :) still no luck ?
Rocky
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rocky »

How do you add said light?

Get into 2D views and add the light manually.
Epic Games has designed Unreal Editor Smart, that it is hardly possible to fool it and it even crashes in 2D Mode when Adding Light.
than try this...

try to add any actor... like scaled sprite or what ever Cheesy

And use the same properties settings like a light.
I don't understand. Could you explain in Detail??

Here's is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v838h8hc21bsa3w/CTF-SpaceDogs.zip
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

OK. Downloaded, going to investigate

first look on the map:
This map need a seriously repair work, many brushes are overlapping and even worse, many of them are out of grid.

You have a bad habits by placing brushes (like main rooms) snapped to very small grid size like 1,2,4. always use bigger grid for placing a main structure rooms :), because textures are fit better (texture sizes are a power of 2. for example room with dimensions 256x512x256 is better for texturing than 319x218x258 room ). anyway Im here for helping, but seriouly this map need a SOLID repair. too many additive brushes, brushes that are out of grid and lack of zones causes geometry to be somehow broken, thats why adding a lights make a crash. Fully rebuild takes about 8 minutes for me, which is very bad :)
Last edited by Radi on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I agree with Radi: the brushwork is catastrophic, which seriously hampers any attempt at doing anything: most brushes are not on the grid and this result in a very bad BSP, and more importantly, it breaks all occlusion: there are micro-polys and micro-openings everywhere where brushes do not meet exactly, resulting in some terrible problems.
More importantly, even, you have loads of unplanar surfaces, where 4 vertices are not on the same plane and thus make a geometric absurdity. This puzzles the builder and kills your geometry.

What's even stranger is that your map doesn't need anything like this at all. All brushes could be snapped to an 8 or 16 grid and be exactly similar, with correct geometry. All in all, this map does indeed require some serious BSP repair, but nothing that you couldn't do in a couple of hours.

A final uplifting note: the map looks very good and believable.

EDIT: there are also several brushes which are absolutely useless.

EDIT2: I spent ten minutes in the map before it crashed when I looked at a specific point I hadn't touched yet.

I rebuilt only the outside hull of one of the two ships. At the end, I was already down by 5 brushes, 300 nodes, 3 levels in the max depth, and viewports were becoming easier to navigate, without a single external difference in the map from a visual standpoint. The current BSP building status is ludicrous, you are 45 thousand nodes! with a map which, honestly is not that complex, but has damaged geometry. Remember the engine will not go over 65536 nodes . Almost all the brushes you currently have are off the grid or damaged in a way, I'm sure your total node count could be almost HALVED by fixing this.

You also seem to rely on a huge number of brushes made with the 2d Shape editor. However, almost all those I saw in your map could have easily been replaced by regular brushes on which you'd have used the clipping tool. It would have resulted in brushes with less polygons and you'd have all vertices on the grid.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rocky »

I actually realized that I was making mistakes that I was just adding too much unnecessary brushes in the map nd which was nothing but just increasing its size.

I then asked the senior mappers nd they said to delete the brushes one by one in order to find which brush is a culprit. By doing that way the map got its working state. Nd finally got what I wanted.

Here is the repaired map: http://www.mediafire.com/?zz7dk2q3xtj0azv
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

haha when I rebuild it first time I got >~40500 nodes and found one additive which is uselles for now.
    Map is not that big and there almost no free nodes to distribute;p. Im reworked Hull and added something on the front ;). I liked that ship somehow because Im creating mine and it is similiar.

@Rocky:  Since map is no that big I can do more of repairs if you want
edit: added screens
[img]http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc505/Arwu84/scr01205055.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc505/Arwu84/scr01204935.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc505/Arwu84/scr01205938.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Radi on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I actually realized that I was making mistakes that I was just adding too much unnecessary brushes in the map nd which was nothing but just increasing its size.
The map could be twice as detailed and run better with no crash, really. It's not a question of number, it's a question of quality. Your brushwork is sick. The unnecessary brushes are not very numerous.
Rocky
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rocky »

@Rocky: Since map is no that big I can do more of repairs if you want
I have moved the previous map in my Quarantine List. If you want to repair, then go on I will be very grateful for you.
The map could be twice as detailed and run better with no crash, really. It's not a question of number, it's a question of quality. Your brushwork is sick. The unnecessary brushes are not very numerous.
How??
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

@Rocky:
Since I repaired Ship hull earlier and some of the inside substracts, then not too many brushes are left, I can do it. I'll post status in next 48h.

How??
I think if I finish repair work on you map then map should become 3 or more times smaller and faster for rebuilds
Last edited by Radi on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

How??
By reading my previous post which explains in long details why the geometry of the map is broken and needs serious surgery. Once fixed, the map will build twice as fast, have half the number of polygons/nodes, no longer crash, work as intended, and be smooth.
Rocky
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rocky »

How??
By reading my previous post which explains in long details why the geometry of the map is broken and needs serious surgery. Once fixed, the map will build twice as fast, have half the number of polygons/nodes, no longer crash, work as intended, and be smooth.
Ok. But if you do me one favor that can you work/repair on my Map?? Because I am too much busy and don't get time to take a look at this.
Last edited by Rocky on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

Hmmm two guys over one map :p ? Im already doing repairs (as we agree with Rocky in PM's). So... I see no point in this. Because I also totally rework this map because scaling is not proper.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I could but I won't. It basically needs to be entirely rebuilt with new brushes and I have stuff to do. It's not akin to asking someone "could you set me this up so I can do that", this is basically "here"s a plan, do the map", and I have no intention of doing it. I'm currently working on something.
Rocky
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rocky »

Which means its up to Radi. Now that makes sense.
Last edited by Rocky on Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

OMG ! Im totally forgot about this ! Why you do not remind me, yhh . Im switched pc's and have hard time and thats why forgot. Sorry for that. Map is somewhere on old disk. Should send it long ago to you for review because it is most reworked. Rocky, you should decide which version you like better, mine or that one done by yourself. If you still interested then write here. :)
Rocky
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rocky »

Sorry I am late.
@radi if you have completed the map, then you can PM me or post it here. I have actually completed the map, but I want to look at yours. :)
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

Yes :( you are a little late.. By accident I reformated wrong HD.. all my 'temporary files' (mostly on desktop) were lost, this includes test map for Musically Inspired, big map for Delacroix and this Space Ship for you..only some screenies left..:( for now I lost some enthusiasm.. all my files for U1 and UT99 were lost too (mods, custom maps, textures)..
Rocky
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rocky »

Nevermind. I have already finished my map and also changed the map name to CTF-SpacePlanes.....

For me the map is working fine without any issues.
[img][/img]

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zz7dk2q3xtj0azv/CTF-SpacePlanes.zip

Still if you want. You can edit my map and make your own one..

Return to “UnrealEd, the editor for Unreal up to version  226”