For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Any updates for Unreal?

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Any updates for Unreal?

Post by Hyper »

I've been checking the Unreal Texture site and notice that quite a bit of Unreal engine games have been added. But I wonder if there is any progress for Unreal 1, since it is the only Unreal game i play atm.

I've always loved your work with the UR(S3TC) project and I hope to see the other textures in ultra-highres as well.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Re: Any updates for Unreal?

Post by DieHard SCWS »

Dont worry, the URProject will stay and have all support, now and in the future. If any than the URProject is extended from UT to Unreal into a project i am still working and to make sure all the deails are worked out properly.

Ill give an overview of all the things for the near and future future :)

Last months i have been working on updating all S3TC packages that were sitting in 2nd UT CD, and released those about two weeks ago. Those updates only concern UT since they are UT specific. In addition to that i also updated oné package that is used both for Unreal as UT being DecayedS (ill get to that later).

The thing that has been bugging me for last 3 years are all the packages that were converted from UT to Unreal. Some packages have even 5-10 different versions which leads to mismatches all over the place. For that i have been thinking how to solve that forgood.

I am working on brandnew conversions for Unreal and as it looks now i will reasemble each package from scratch, which is alot of work. Creating the package on itself is done in a couple a minutes, but adding the detail textures to them is simply put a horrible timeconsuming annoying job (not too mention super, super bad for my hands........).

Though not really added to the site yet, here is a link with more info: [url=http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/Projects/UTFU/UTFU.htm]UTFU project[/url]

As said i am still working out all the details, but to sum up the benefits:

- Putting a stop to mismatches
- Preventing the skating player glitch being ported to Unreal  while using UT converted S3TC packages online.
- Full S3TC support for the UT converted packages.
- Stimulating Unreal mappers go go use more UT packages than currently is done.
- And of course tons more S3TC textures for Unreal :)

I already added a texture database from the UT packages, including the downloads (which should not be used yet !!!) on this page: [url=http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/TextureDatabase/UT/UT.htm]UT for Unreal Texture Database[/url]

When this is done, all releases will automatically be there for both Unreal and UT players, which means that the updates will always serve both group of players.

And now we are talking about this, if someone can come up with a decent name for the project than please post that here, cause the current name is not exactly what i would like to see....

For now, i had to go back to the SGC project, because that project is haunting me now for years. and i need to finish that one badly. And even if it will take a bunch of months, it still means that on release theres an enourmous amount of new textures available for other mappers. The Stargate for Unreal project will go use those textures to make a wide range of COOP maps if i am correct. That project has good use for those textures, and the faster i am done, the faster they can finish their maps.

After that is done, i will go work on updates for follow packages:

- DecayedS (and if all goes well this will be a monster update that will effect the entire package).
- Skaarj package (which should also be a significant update)
- HourIceSkaarj from Hourances

And maybe:

- Mine
- Starship

In about a few weeks from now when the SGC project is in full swing, i will go do a few updates in between and this concernes the update i made for UT on the DecayedS package and have those released for Unreal.  At the same time i will also re-release SpaceFX for both Unreal and UT that will contain a few upgraded textures (Earth textures) to match the XbpFX  package.

Than a personal note, my heatlh never was too good, is often bothering me that much i cant work, which is the main reason my timeframes are getting screwed up really. And Hyper knows what i am talking about, but they took my disabillity payments off of me, and gotta go protest about that. I am sure it will be ok, but it stresses me out never the less. I got me a laywer to go protest against the UWV (previous GAK) and see what the result will be.

I hope this will answer your questions a bit :)
Last edited by DieHard SCWS on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work. And good luck with the UWV thingie...
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Uncouth
OldUnreal Member

Post by Uncouth »

Your name may be DieHard in the game but don't be to much of a die hard on all that stuff. I suggest either getting a punching bag or walking to build up strength. That's enough project to last one LONG time. :o
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

Your name may be DieHard in the game but don't be to much of a die hard on all that stuff. I suggest either getting a punching bag or walking to build up strength.

Lol, i wish it was that easy, but unfortunatelly it isnt. Its all pretty much uncurable stuff i have. If they could do an entire spinecolumtransplant, than i guess that would do the job. As it is i can only make the best out of it....

Your name sounds familiar btw, do i know you from ingame ?

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”