For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

actors missing in 2d view, bug?

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

actors missing in 2d view, bug?

Post by BobIsUnreal »

i have been working on a project for a while on and off in 227g ,
and noticed that certain specific actors( not all) are invisible in top view in the editor that shouldnt be ,
such as musicevents ,and interpolitation points
but only in direct3d9 and open gl renders ,
they are visable in d3d view , and in software.
and are mysteriously always visabile in any renderer in  3d view , such as dynamic lighting or texture.
i have full actor view enabled and only use one viewport for all editing and switch between views
so what makes them non renderable in dx9 in top view?
Last edited by BobIsUnreal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: actors missing in 2d view, bug?

Post by Hellkeeper »

I have reported this problem on IRC too. Direct3D Is even weirder, because actors are still displayed with imaginary drawscales and locations and flicker in and out of view in certain cases.

Basically, 2D Viewports should remain in Software redering mode, because that's the only renderer that displays everything, and I don't think it benefits a lof from hardware acceleration anyway.
The 3D Rendering modes seem not to be affected, so you can still use OpenGl and Direct3D In the 3D Viewport, but this bug is very strange indeed.
You must construct additional pylons.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

I thought software didn't show some of the 227 additions.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Its very complicated and if not for the hard work of the UTGLR author D3D9/GL wouldn't work at all for 2D. Problems is that in order to make a renderer work for UED many, many, many...did I say many? exceptions have to be implemented and many hacks have been added for SoftDrv.
Indeed its probably best to use SoftDrv for 2D and GL or D3D9 for 3D view.
In order to improve visibility its very easy now to switch between the renderers so it shouldn't be much of a problem.
GEm, Currently I can't remember any 227 feature which isn't displayed in 2D view with SoftDrv?
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

I suppose it's only some 3D elements, then. Good to know.

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”