For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Texture Database

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Texture Database

Post by DieHard SCWS »

I have not been working on the textures themselves, cause i had some difficulties getting an overview of what i am doing.

I decided to go create a database for all the individual textures from Unreal, this takes tons of time but will save me time at the end.

This database will also give any mapper a great overview on all textures in Unreal. Next to that it will offer at least two downloads; the DXT file for adding the texture to S3TC packages.

But even more important ;D, the complete PSD file with all the layers :) :) This will enable mappers to add their own ideas to the textures, or change excisting textures to their own good.

The database will be updated each time a texture is finished and has info on the S3TC settings. I willl not notify on updates, you will have to check in for yourself from time to time!! At this moment its far from finished and there are no downloads yet, but the first ones will be there within a week or so.

If you know mappers than please notify them about this database, i think it will be very usefull for them :)

Some notes:

- Downloads can be slow due to the amount of pictures.
- The info next to the textures may be incorrect, however, if there is a download for that texture, than the info will be correct, just asume: no download= incorrect info.
- The downloads are big, each individual texture can vary from 5Mb up to 40Mb, for this i do need extra and bandwidth webspace in the near future somehow........
- Therefore, please don't download if you are not gonna use it!

Well, here is the link:

http://www.celticwarriors.net/website/S3TC/S3TCTextures/S3TCTectures.htm

Enjoy :)
StalwartUK

Re: Texture Database

Post by StalwartUK »

Oh yeah I'm a mapper ;D.

This should be a good place for everyone to keep tabs on the textures and what you've done thus far.

I also notice that the S3TC DecayedS base textures look much rougher than the originals.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

Yeah they do look rougher, but in effect thats only because they really have shadow, which makes it look much more 3D.

So an "old texture" is relative flat, while the S3TC version will have much more 3D which indeed makes it look rough ;D, as a rock is supposed to be :)
StalwartUK

Post by StalwartUK »

It's not rock. It's susposed to be concrete or metal, which is smooth ::).
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

lol, which one ?
StalwartUK

Post by StalwartUK »

lol, which one ?
All of them...
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

There could be some exceptions.........

But the rocks or ground are rocky like, while the metal surfaces can have rusty indentations and or scratches.

The same for concrete, they can have a scratched surface, or its concrete that is not suposed to have a smooth surface. In that case it also can have a rocky like apearance.

Btw and this is also very difficult, if you really look at the textures, than sometimes you cannot see at all what you are seeing, it looks cool, but what is it ? ? ? ? ?

And in such case the eye of the beholder aplies too, which makes it even more difficult.

A good example are the crates in DmDeck16, what do you see there, its supposed to be a metal crate, with rust ?

And if its rust sitting on it, what about the kinda white parts on the surface, is that plain metal, is it fungus on the metal or are the white parts leftovers from the paint covering it ? ? ?

And there you go , they look cool alright :) But yeah, explain me what you see, i am not joking, i am certainly curious !

Since those crates are important, lol, give me input on them, what do you see ?
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

The database is almost completed as it is, 80% percent is done now. Most of the S3TC textures have been added, and made available for download as PSD files.

Great thanks to a friend of mine who is helping to add all the info to the website, this made it go twice as fast.

I am pretty convinced the database will be completed within some 2 weeks.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

The database is almost completed as it is, 80% percent is done now. Most of the S3TC textures have been added, and made available for download as PSD files.

Great thanks to a friend of mine (Plato) who is helping me to add all the info and pictures to the website, this made it go twice as fast.

I am pretty convinced the database will be completed within some 2 weeks. Most of the bigger packages already have been added, we are now working on Ancient, Queen and Skaarj, after that only the smaller animation packages remain to be done.

The database will make my work alot more easelly when its done, it already gives me a perfect overview on the textures i am working on, at the end of next week i hope to add a whole bunch of newly made textures.
Last edited by DieHard SCWS on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”