For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

UT AlAudio Stereo Problem

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
usaar33
OldUnreal Member

UT AlAudio Stereo Problem

Post by usaar33 »

Decided to install the good 'ol Unreal Tournament in Linux.
Eventually got sound to work (that was a pain on ubuntu 10.10!) -- I'm using oss4.

I have problems with either of the default audio drivers:
GenericAudioDevice: Crashes in certain maps. For instance in 7bullets, it only works if I turn off music. Saw some other thread that explained it is due to problems with the drivers handling limited numbers of wav sampling rates.
AlAudio: I get no stereo for sound effects. e.g. toss voicebox. Turn around -- no change in sound positioning.

So I'm either losing ambiance (music) or playability (stereo sound),

1) Any idea how to fix this?
1a) I saw updated alaudio for UT here, but that was for windows only; is there a linux version?

Another question:
On another note, I also installed all the super high end textures from unrealtexture.com and I'm using the enhanced opengl renderer. There seems to be some issue with masking though; for instance on cityintro on some black surfaces, I see through walls! Any idea how to fix that?
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Re: UT AlAudio Stereo Problem

Post by Gizzy »

Not sure about the first part, but this:
Another question:
On another note, I also installed all the super high end textures from unrealtexture.com  and I'm using the enhanced opengl renderer. There seems to be some issue with masking though; for instance on cityintro on some black surfaces, I see through walls! Any idea how to fix that?
If you're using v451, that could be why. I've heard there was a problem with masked textures and using the super high end textures could've made it worse :P
Last edited by Gizzy on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

hey Usaar :) long time no see!

Well, I didn't make an updated version of OpenAL for UT yet- and this for Lin and Win - but I can surely have a look once I finished 227g (which is really almost done now).
Fortunately I was even able to make EFX fully functional with latest OpenALSoft version.

The masking bug is indeed some UTPG fix- which resulted unfortunately in a even bigger bug than it was before.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
usaar33
OldUnreal Member

Post by usaar33 »

Thanks for the feedback: on 436.

So guess no way to fix the masking bug? (it's been pretty minor in game fortunately); anyone know what texture package is messing it up?

Smirftsch: Keep the great work coming! What is the audio patches included in http://oldunreal.com/utpatches.html btw?
Has anyone had problems with no stereo in alaudio?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

4.36 didn't have this fix, so this is not possible...mmh...then the only idea I have at the moment is that it would be flagged incorrectly.

Anyway, I have to admit that the UT version is kinda outdated. Many fixes and updates are missing yet.
Mostly because of the fact that I'm working with a newer UT codebase (4.68) and VC++ 2008, instead of VC6 which was taken for 4.36 and I'm not sure that a dll built in 2008 will work flawlessly with 4.36.

Need to give it a try soon...
Last edited by Smirftsch on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anth
Administrator

Post by anth »

The testing dll you gave me a while back didn't work with v436 because you have the "treat wchar_t as built-in type" option enabled in VC++. This changed the signatures (and therefore decorated names) of many functions.
Ratmann

Post by Ratmann »

Hello!
Damn stereo sound problem in linux UT always was a pain in the ass for me. Please somebody, make a proper patch for a great justice! :-/
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

It's not easy to make a new version of it for this old version. Its still based on GCC 2.95 and not very easy to work with. The newer version I made for the 227 port is based on GCC 4.2 and this won't work with the old UT version. For an update for UT itself I have no permission from Epic.
I'll have a look once I find some time if I can make a compatible version somehow, but I'm sure this won't happen very soon.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Linux-Board”