For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Very Doable!

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
Daemon

Very Doable!

Post by Daemon »

I am running Ubuntu 7.10 on a Gateway laptop with ATI Radeon Xpress 200M video and I successfully got OldUnreal working well! Using wine I installed Unreal from my original CD, then downloaded the 277a (beta) patch, installed that.

Upon first running I selected OpenGL and it started up, it was all choppy and unplayable. By using the Unreal safe mode options I found it was a problem with the "3D sound" so after some tries here and there I finally changed the default audio device from ALAudio to FMOD and it works like a charm!

Full hardware accelerated gameplay. I do notice though that when I have the translator icon on my HUD it causes an artifact but changing the HUD configuration seemed to help that.

So I don't know about that whole HOWTO thing but this was actually pretty easy.
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Re: Very Doable!

Post by TCP_Wolf »

WOOHOO!
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

happy to hear that ;)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Pitbull
Administrator

Post by Pitbull »

Using wine it is very doable yes. I'm hoping to be able to run it native though. Some others posted reguarding Ubuntu and running unreal native and I haven't heard of anyone getting it to run native in Ubuntu thus far. I haven't tried running it native in Ubuntu yet. Fact is I will probably try Kubuntu 1st. However previously running unreal in Ubuntu (with wine) I had the same results (no sound issues though) and used S3TC textures as well.
Upon this rock I will build my church O:-)

LOADING HATERS..████████████] 99% Complete.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

the next version is statically linked, so it will (hopefully) run on more, if not all distros...
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.

Return to “Linux-Board”