For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Few questions regarding AL-Audio in 227k

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
EDA
OldUnreal Member

Few questions regarding AL-Audio in 227k

Post by EDA »

Hello again, (to Smirf or anyone who has knowledge)

Is there any possibility to have the music split out from the 3D-space and direct it to its own Stereo output in version 227k? (I believe it was possible with version 227i and FMOD)

Is the 227k engine generally able to handle more than one umx file in a map?

What if I want to use let's say wav files in an umx container. Is it able to handle loops and markers (for the subtunes) ?

Thanks.

PS.: Height Axis works (nearly flawless) with AmbiSonics 3D7.1 so far the testing goes, just fyi.

PPS.: pardon my ignorance btw, but what does "usual RL crap" actually mean?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Few questions regarding AL-Audio in 227k

Post by Smirftsch »

I am not sure about 1, could you elaborate some more?

2. There is no specific limit in using umx files or using more than one. But I suppose you mean to able easily using/handling this in UED f.e.?

3. We have loop handling for wav in sounds but iirc not for music- as for markers/subtunes, nope, not in wav format. The tracker music formats however usually do support things like subtunes.

PS: that's indeed interesting. I really need to get into it some more again.

as for the PPS: well, daily business, job / work to pay your bills, family and finally to have some time and energy remaining...
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
EDA
OldUnreal Member

Post by EDA »

I explain it a little further: Sadly I've never tested it, but in 227i/Extended Settings in the FMOD section I was able to specify for example the Realtek
Digital Output, where at the same time I hear the sound through the analog outputs (as specified, Realtek Loudspeakers). That leads me to the idea, to
route the FMOD music to another output than the SFX. The reason: I have two loudspeaker setups, one for the SFX, and one for the music. Or let's say,
I will have, cause depending on the progress of kCat's OpenAL-Soft, the SFX setup becomes bigger and bigger and more important, than the music.
Other thing is, that I plan a new orchestral soundtrack (partially), while Redux is finished, and I don't want to play it through the (cheaper) SFX Speakers.
Which leads us directly to

2.+3.
If I make wav files (within the umx container), and the engine doesn't handle loops/markers, then I have to use at least two umx/wav's at the moment, one
for the exploration theme, and one for the combat theme. Krull0r mentioned Music Events, and I suppose that I can control the different themes that way.
So yes, easily using/handling in UED also, cause I have to edit this in the maps.

PS.
I recognize movement between the front speakers (see also the 3D7.1 setup) if I move the head vertically, or on the ambient sounds.
Strange thing is however, that in certain situations where an enemy is moving around upstairs (Rajigar), the noise is not in place.
Kavin

Post by Kavin »

EDA wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:22 pm 1.
I explain it a little further: Sadly I've never tested it, but in 227i/Extended Settings in the FMOD section I was able to specify for example the Realtek
Digital Output, where at the same time I hear the sound through the analog outputs (as specified, Realtek Loudspeakers). That leads me to the idea, to
route the FMOD music to another output than the SFX. The reason: I have two loudspeaker setups, one for the SFX, and one for the music. Or let's say,
I will have, cause depending on the progress of kCat's OpenAL-Soft, the SFX setup becomes bigger and bigger and more important, than the music.
Other thing is, that I plan a new orchestral soundtrack (partially), while Redux is finished, and I don't want to play it through the (cheaper) SFX Speakers.
Which leads us directly to

2.+3.
If I make wav files (within the umx container), and the engine doesn't handle loops/markers, then I have to use at least two umx/wav's at the moment, one
for the exploration theme, and one for the combat theme. Krull0r mentioned Music Events, and I suppose that I can control the different themes that way.
So yes, easily using/handling in UED also, cause I have to edit this in the maps.

PS.
I recognize movement between the front speakers (see also the 3D7.1 setup) if I move the head vertically, or on the ambient sounds.
Strange thing is however, that in certain situations where an enemy is moving around upstairs (Rajigar), the noise is not in place.
Planning separate setups for SFX and music to enhance their respective qualities makes sense. Utilizing wav files within umx containers and addressing loop/markers issues through Music Events shows strategic planning for audio integration in UED. It's crucial for maintaining immersive gameplay experiences, especially with upcoming orchestral soundtracks. Good luck with your continued development!
EDA
OldUnreal Member

Post by EDA »

Thanks. Sadly it doesn't make any sense to make orchestral remakes from parts of the OST, if the engine has no way to use it properly.
My tracks are not intended for spotify but for ingame use to enhance the experience.
The reason for wav files in umx containers is simply that I have to loop at least the action themes (you cannot loop mp3 or ogg seamlessly), because the end of the fight is not forseeable. But also on the exploration themes loops are an issue because on a new remake I don't always want to fade out a theme but repeat it on certain points.
And it's not only about orchestral tracks; there're other interesting projects also, like from Mothership Loudspeakers, Gary Afterlife, Valter Abreu, and other ones that I like to use.
The reason for two different outputs for SFX and music is that it makes perfect sense to me to split the music out of the 3D-space, because for a better immersion there has to be a spatially distance between the direct nature of SFX and the indirect nature of music.

My guess on this is, that no one is interested in the above improvements cause everything is about online gaming and headsets nowadays.
Therefore such improvements (and others in the SFX department which I mentioned in my other thread) have no priority in the engine's development anymore.
They all forgot about the fact that Unreal was initially a single player campaign for ONE person and with all its immersion in that direction.
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

"They all forgot about the fact that Unreal was initially a single player campaign for ONE person and with all its immersion in that direction."

Yup.

Also, when it comes to voice chat, Unreal always had 3rd party ware for that. Battlecom, Ventrillo, and Teamspeak to name the first ones that I used.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Dude, that Kavin guy seems like a bot to me. He takes sentences from a quoted post and rearranges them. Talks like those ml "AI" bots.
EDA
OldUnreal Member

Post by EDA »

I noticed that too. But the statement was a welcome invitation to make my point. Real person or not.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Really sorry for my little participation here so far, trying to catch up now, again my RL didn't give me much of a choice.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Smirftsch wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:04 am Really sorry for my little participation here so far, trying to catch up now, again my RL didn't give me much of a choice.
I tried to use the report function but it was also broken and redirected to 404.

Return to “Unreal 227”