For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Contrast/Dynamic range- Software vs Accelerated modes

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
PalmliX

Contrast/Dynamic range- Software vs Accelerated modes

Post by PalmliX »

Is it just me or does software rendering seemingly have the best contrast and dynamic range? I've been trying to get the same look using D3D9 or Xopengl and while I can get close it always winds up looking more washed out in comparison. Perhaps there's a trick with the fact the textures arent being filtered? The behavior of the brightness slider in software seem to be what I would expect, i.e. increases highlights without affecting the shadow point, i.e. makes the image have more contrast, whereas in the accelerated modes it just seems to add gamma instead of brightness, i.e. mid tones, I can never get the highlights to be brighter while keeping the shadows dark. I tried playing with gamma correction in advanced settings but that seems to basically affect the same thing so the end result is the same.

Is there some secret command or anything like that I'm missing? Or this is just the reality of accelerated modes vs software? Normally I would be fine just playing in software to get the best look, but the performance is atrocious and there are bugs, but damn it looks amazing, the image pops like crazy, accelerated modes feel like they are missing the top end. I'm on 227j btw.
PalmliX

Re: Contrast/Dynamic range- Software vs Accelerated modes

Post by PalmliX »

I have spoken with some experienced community members on Discord about this and was informed that this is just unfortunately the way things are, and that software is not supported/viable. Fair enough! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, I only noticed this because I recently started mapping for Unreal 1 for the first time and UnrealEd defaulted to software rendering and I noticed that my lighting looked better in editor than in game.

I've resigned myself to the fact that this is just the way things are, but I wanted to post a couple of tests I did for posterity sake, perhaps this is something that can be addressed in the future.

I attempted the highest contrast possible on accelerated (which involves setting display brightness to 0.45 in advanced options, 0.4 is too dark and 0.5 is too bright imo) and then ran the screenshot through photoshop levels analysis and this is what it looks like:
accel.png
then the same location in software (with brightness slider cranked to max):
software.png
In addition to more dynamic range and contrast (note how the levels extend past the middle triangle), software seems to also have more lighting/shadow detail. In accelerated you can see how smoothed over the level line is in comparison. A bumpy line is good! It means the image has more lighting/shadow detail.

And to clarify I tried a few different accelerated modes, they all more or less have the same end result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

You may have a bit more luck with something like

Code: Select all

set levelinfo brightness 1.5
flush
...before you run into "greenies" (i.e. lightmap clamping).

Also, make sure OneXBlending is NOT enabled.

Also, if you can write UScript, you can fake the software brightness by drawing a full-screen-sized modulated white square.
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
PalmliX

Post by PalmliX »

yrex . wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:34 pm

Code: Select all

set levelinfo brightness 1.5
flush
That's it! That's the secret command I was hoping for! :D
This is D3D9 with brightness slider to 4 and the levelinfo brightness 1.5 command, everything else at default.
accel_v2.png
The levels look MUCH closer to software now, brilliant!
Also, make sure OneXBlending is NOT enabled.
Confirmed, not enabled.
Also, if you can write UScript, you can fake the software brightness by drawing a full-screen-sized modulated white square.
Is this what would be required if I wanted to force this brightness on a custom map that I make? Also how do I keep from having to re-enter this command on each load?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Is this what would be required if I wanted to force this brightness on a custom map that I make?
In that case, you can simply change it directly in Level Properties -> LevelInfo -> Brightness.
Also how do I keep from having to re-enter this command on each load?
Besides by writing a mutator, I don't know. Perhaps bind it to some key?
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
PalmliX

Post by PalmliX »

yrex . wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:31 pm In that case, you can simply change it directly in Level Properties -> LevelInfo -> Brightness.

That works! Thank you so much!

Return to “Unreal 227”