For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Ah yes of course. I often find it difficult to tell the location from low res shots and distortions.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Post by Gamesharder »

I found the site again of that little artwork of Gina that indicated my theory that she is canadian

https://web.archive.org/web/19970415034 ... nreal.html

This image

I mean, this is clearly Gina to me...
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Okay this is (kind of) new to me lol

So I looked more thoroughly this website, and found this image called "skaarjsymbol.jpg".

https://web.archive.org/web/19970415035 ... /ibig.html

It's in very good quality.
I've seen this symbol in a very unknown magazine before, but couldn't place it anywhere like, what's this? But know it makes more sense.
Very weird.

And apparently Erik De Neve made a snow Skaarj in march lol but unfortunately the images won't load in
https://web.archive.org/web/19980430081 ... kaarj.html
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:02 pm I found the site again of that little artwork of Gina that indicated my theory that she is canadian

https://web.archive.org/web/19970415034 ... nreal.html

This image

I mean, this is clearly Gina to me...
Its not necesarily Gina but more like the main character they intended. Also the Gina name only came up quite late in developement iirc. But yea. Also it means that she was incarcerated in Canada but that doesn't necesarily mean she was Canadian to begin with. She might be also partially native american, which would actually make sense.

as for your other post, I did speak to Erik De Neve a long ago...wish you pointed me to this back then as I would have asked him if he still had that photo somewhere.

As for that Skaarj symbol...well I did see it before and I assumed it was related to perhaps another game, like y'know, Circle had pretty different design, I know this wasn't from Circle, but..something else maybe. It almost looks fitting into KHG. But yea....interesting find. Pretty different take.

EDIT: btw come to think of it, those rooms etc in the artwork might have been recreated at one point in developement for some example triggerlight maps and such...thinking about it. Or even for the actual intro that got cut at one point.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Found this screenshot of beta Ruins from a PC Joker CD, thought it was interesting enough to upload here too

Also, a Gamestar preview of Unreal Tournament (1999 March 18th) got uploaded in the Videos folder. Check it out.
It's this one but in a bit better quality:
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

I reorganized the magazines & gave them proper names one-by-one, so it's not a chaos there anymore.
This was a better way to organize them by title-year-month-issue-page.

The "UNK" tag means unknown... when I couldn't find any information.

I wanted to do this for a while now. I like things being organized, and this will be a great help for future projects.
Now I can do some statistics too.

As of right now ... there are:
  • approximately 1500 pages of magazines featuring or mentioning Unreal or Unreal Tournament (rarely other Unreal Engine 1 games)
  • 41 magazines have Unreal on their front cover
  • there's nearly 15 different countries
RUGGYWUGGY
OldUnreal Member

Post by RUGGYWUGGY »

Hey bro I met you on Facebook!!! Still super cool!
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

RUGGYWUGGY wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:11 pm Hey bro I met you on Facebook!!! Still super cool!
Yo! Thanks man!

Return to “Unreal General Forum”