For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[Released] The One

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

[Released] The One

Post by Turboman. »

The One is a small/medium-sized mappack for the Oldunreal 227j patch, inspired by classic unreal community maps such as "Nali Cove", "One Day" or "Tashara’s Cove". But it utilizes oldunreal's 227j patch features such as improved stability and better graphical fidelity.

Download link for the 1.0 release is available here:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-the-o ... he-one-v10

Moddb page with additional info, screenshots and videos:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-the-one

Synopsis
Welcome to the island of K’tharia. The Nali have established a peaceful haven here, free from oppression by the Skaarj. Unfortunately the island holds a dark secret, an ancient deity has awoken and it demands a sacrifice. Unfortunate victims are drawn to the underground, never to be seen again. Unfortunately for you, you are about to become it's latest victim…

The mappack includes the following features:
  • Five levels to explore, all set in different area's of the underground ruins below the island.
  • Two hub maps to explore, including the island itself and the island port-town.
  • Two new weapons added to the classic unreal weapon arsenal, including a crossbow grapple gun and a homing throwing-blade.
  • Various new enemy types, including unique Krall classes, the War-dogs, and even malevolent Nali.
  • Various NPC’s that you will meet on the way, each with their own narrative, unique quests and interactions.
  • Upgraded graphical detail from the original unreal, using the new features and capabilities of the 227J patch.
  • A narrative driven campaign, using character interactions, translator messages, and dream sequences to propel the plot forward, will you be able to discover the island’s dark secret and escape The One?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: [Released] The One

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Thanks and congrats for releasing this Turbo. I'll try it at the nearest opportunity. In fact I was also thinking of making a conversion for UT of this or just a semi-personal one for a coop server.

I suppose you'd be fine with that right? I know its meant to go with the 227 oldunreal patches, but if I make it clear its recommended to play/download the original then it should be fine I think.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Unless you had a plan for a specific 469 version later down the road. I forgot if you had or not, I believe I talked to you years ago about this...
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Hi Leo, no UT version is planned for this, I've considered the prospects of porting this to 226 or UT but it would seem a near impossibility without having to resort to removing a lot of things, it's a task that would be nearly impossible if you ask me, much alike to making a gameboy advance port of this mappack.

Closest thing I could do to make it 226 and UT compatible is to release the prototype version before I shifted development to 227, it's still not the same as the final version but that's something which I might consider doing if the community is interested enough in such a version.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Turboman. wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:06 pm Hi Leo, no UT version is planned for this, I've considered the prospects of porting this to 226 or UT but it would seem a near impossibility without having to resort to removing a lot of things, it's a task that would be nearly impossible if you ask me, much alike to making a gameboy advance port of this mappack.

Closest thing I could do to make it 226 and UT compatible is to release the prototype version before I shifted development to 227, it's still not the same as the final version but that's something which I might consider doing if the community is interested enough in such a version.
I am interested. Well you can ask on UnrealSP.org as well or other places you posted this. Not much forum activity here though, may I suggest also asking on ut99.org. The Singleplayer section has Unreal stuff as well though they consider 227 stuff offtopic iirc, but if you tell them about this I am sure some people will get interested.

Also I am sure I could pull off the UT conversion one way or the other but as you said it would be a Lite version basically. With lots of workarounds and everything, like staticmeshes replaced with movers and regular meshes (plus hacks like xmesh) and possibly one of the custom particle engines and what not. I am sure that could be put together but it would be different.

Working on the UPSX project and others has taught me a lot of tricks used in different points and different situations, some of them no longer necessary but I could see applying some of them here. Some of the code references would need to be changed also, the magbow mechanics in particular will be tricky but it can be done still as long as its used "little differently". I have not examined this yet in details, but I can already tell you this.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I'm planning on playing this when I get the time, the screenshots are so sweet. :)
You must construct additional pylons.
BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

Increnible.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Turboman. wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:06 pm Hi Leo, no UT version is planned for this, I've considered the prospects of porting this to 226 or UT but it would seem a near impossibility without having to resort to removing a lot of things, it's a task that would be nearly impossible if you ask me, much alike to making a gameboy advance port of this mappack.

here's some feedback already on ut99.org forums:

https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?p=139384#p139384
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Post by .:..: »

Here's the beginning of the map pack in a new perspective!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

.:..: wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:53 am Here's the beginning of the map pack in a new perspective!
Absolute peak greatness LOL. My favorite mod really.

This should be now the canon trailer. "Hang in there, hang in there"

I assume glitchreal still is compatible with 227J?
BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

While playing I noticed something. I don't know if it's something to point out, but I think it's fixable. By the way great job.

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

BIr4 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:57 pm While playing I noticed something. I don't know if it's something to point out, but I think it's fixable. By the way great job.

It is fixable. But given how complex the map is, I'm not surprised it slipped by, besides maybe turbo isn't aware now that this might be easier to fix now with yrex's bsp tool. But there are still methods outside of that how to fix it/get around it.

normally the problem is that classically this requires/required a full rebuild to get fixed and it might introduce another issue somewhere else where it is not spotted. However, now that is not entirely true anymore because of the tool i mentioned or alternative tricks.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

A little late to the party, but I just finished it today.
I gotta say, absolutely incredible from gameplay standards to the maps... to like everything. Really enjoyed it.
It really felt like an open-world Unreal giving how massive the maps are. Peak mapping right there.
Right after it was released I started playing and got stuck fairly early :,D but then I came back to it months later, and somehow the closed paths were open lol and was being able to proceed.
The ending was great too, really hard. And there were a few times I got jumpscared from... certain entites ;D

Overall, very nice job.
Thank you for your pack! U_Off
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Currently playing it. I'm still at the beginning, but this is incredible.
Edit: amazing. Unreal feels like an amateur mod to this.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Honestly, I feel like this should have gotten bigger coverage. The cutscenes seem one of the most if not most outstanding ones in any pack so far.
I think calling it a small/medium size mappack is underselling it. It feels like an expansion pack on its own. The only reason I didn't comment on this is because I didn't get a chance to properly playing and I halted my ut conversion thing way before when Turboman said he might release the older/different compatible version.

But there were some videos covering this since and I got a more proper look too.

But yea...here I feel like the opposite of what happened with firestorm initially. Too little hype as opposed to too much hype with firestorm (and especially early versions I guess would have disappointed players if they got too hyped up). Its like Turboman doesn't know the right balance of advertising his work, either undermining something enormous (like this feels to be) or overhyping what was essentially rtnp 2.0 in a way. Its just so odd to me.

I also like the fact that more abstract things are explored here similar to Unreal PSX and it feels like an expansion on many of those ideas but done in such a brilliant execution here.

This thing might have started as a small pack, but it certainly isn't a small pack anymore and is comparable to something that for example quake 2 received "officially" like the rise of the machine or how it was called, with that remaster. Okay perhaps still less long, but it just makes up for it like other people said already.

This is basically the proper "anniversary" new expansion pack kind of thing, just shame its only for 227j and not all people can enjoy it thanks to that, especially people on older machines, but it is what it is.

There still doesn't seem to be a full playthrough video and it seems to be difficult to search for as well. Is "The One" a forbidden word on youtube or what?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I finished this late at night, yesterday. What a ride. I agree with Gamesharder, it feels like an open-world game. The hubs are huge, the dungeons are immense, everything is both minutely detailed yet grand and expansive at the same time, each corner is full of life and secrets... For an Unreal mod, it's simply the best environment I have ever seen. Music, sound, light, architecture, it was just about perfect.

The story was incredibly confusing and felt like it wasn't told in the right order though, I often had no idea what to look for or where to go, which is often the case when you're so free, but I also had no idea what I was trying to achieve and didn't get what the ending was about. It's a shame because all the means to make it clear were there, talking NPCs, cutscenes, etc. However, the gigantic hubs (both the island and the port town) were so cool I found myself drawn to it and I kept exploring just for the sake of enjoying the scenery and finding new corners of the maps to explore, new people to talk to, new temples to explore. For someone like me who always loved the Chizra and Vandora temples, this was amazing. The dream sequences were incredibly powerfull too, especially towards the end when "stuff" began to appear in dreamland. There are definitely entire games which could be made from this concept.

My only real problem was the difficulty. I consider myself an adept player and I have played games much harder than Unreal, but the fact you can do things in somehow random order and cannot easily foresee when things are going to get tensed meant I found myself stuck and forced to cheat my way into two key moments:
► Show Spoiler
and the ending because you go through a series of locked arenas where serious opposition is provided. Each of these fights is extremely challenging, but the fact you go from one to the other with barely any rest and with just a handful of supplies between had me stuck and I ended using god mod to see the end. There should have been a full resupply of both health and armour between each and the most you got was a bit of armour OR health and some ammo.
► Show Spoiler
Appart from this balancing issue, it's almost flawless. Many details had me amazed at the attention put to every single aspect of the game, it was a joy from beginning to end. Although I wonder if some things, which felt weird, didn't turn out to be bugs like
► Show Spoiler
The port town is one of my favourite Nali cities, even though we've all seen many takes on this kind of towns over the years in Unreal. It's probably the best made and one of the best ambiance. I'd rate it just below Illhaven's, but at this point, Illhaven is almost my home and I acknowledge I'm biased. Walking the streets and visiting everyone's house in The One, I kept thinking back to my own [url=http://hellkeeper.net/images/map/pics/piraeus/piraeus2.jpg]DmPiraeus[/url] and noticing my little town was like a child's attempt compared to it.
So yeah, great job Turboman, 9/10, this might be the very best thing I've played in the last 5 years.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hellkeeper wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:49 pm The port town is one of my favourite Nali cities, even though we've all seen many takes on this kind of towns over the years in Unreal. It's probably the best made and one of the best ambiance. I'd rate it just below Illhaven's, but at this point, Illhaven is almost my home and I acknowledge I'm biased. Walking the streets and visiting everyone's house in The One, I kept thinking back to my own [url=http://hellkeeper.net/images/map/pics/piraeus/piraeus2.jpg]DmPiraeus[/url] and noticing my little town was like a child's attempt compared to it.
So yeah, great job Turboman, 9/10, this might be the very best thing I've played in the last 5 years.
Its funny you mention Illhaven. I mean I have nostalgia for the map(s) myself..though the first map was not even made for Unreal originally but for Quake and also appeared as part of that Quake TC that Kew worked on. The one that was called Fantasy Quake (not future versus fantasy that's a different mod) and was essentially like a heretic/hexen like tc for Quake.
Its decent but knowing it was made for Quake originally makes it weird, though he did remake it from scratch essentially. And then he even managed to sneak it into Heretic II lmao. I mean the first map is largely based on Illhaven still. Kew just couldn't let it go. He even made a version for wheel of time (and not a bad version, it has areas not present in the Unreal version), a game he worked on professionaly. I wonder why he didn't work on Unreal II though, instead they hired Grayson Edge and also Geoff Field a little later, though he ended up leaving and his levels got cut. But Geoff reportedly worked on some of the cut non-techy levels so that's also something Kew could have done well...oh well. Then again when the game switched from BSP geometry to meshes, that's something Kew wouldn't work with and didn't hence why he quit doing levels professionaly as it became increasingly more required. I believe he told me this when I spoke to him around 2012. But then again he didn't have to necesarily make that as meshes and could have had someone else do them while he does the basic geometry and architecture which he was good at.

Return to “Unreal Projects”