For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Coop: keeping weapons when respawning?

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
pellinore

Coop: keeping weapons when respawning?

Post by pellinore »

Hi everyone, forum newbie here. I recently tried playing the built-in coop mode of Unreal Gold (using 227i/j) with my brother, but dying in coop makes you lose your entire inventory (excluding the dispersion pistol and translator), and we're not really enjoying that aspect. Is there a way to modify this behaviour so that you respawn with all the weapons you had, through console commands or alternative coop mods? Cheers.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Re: Coop: keeping weapons when respawning?

Post by Neon_Knight »

pellinore wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:43 am Hi everyone, forum newbie here. I recently tried playing the built-in coop mode of Unreal Gold (using 227i/j) with my brother, but dying in coop makes you lose your entire inventory (excluding the dispersion pistol and translator), and we're not really enjoying that aspect. Is there a way to modify this behaviour so that you respawn with all the weapons you had, through console commands or alternative coop mods? Cheers.
Isn't there a pair of options that say "Instant weapon/item respawn" for Coop games?
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
pellinore

Post by pellinore »

Unfortunately that's not the question. I want to keep my weapons on death, not mess with their weapon pickups' respawn timers.
For example, starting a coop match on NyLeve's Falls sees me spawn with a dispersion pistol and translator. I walk out of the Vortex Rikers, pick up the automag, then kill myself using the suicide command. I respawn with no automag, and wish to respawn with it. The same can be applied to later levels, extended to feature the weapons I would have had when entering this level in a singleplayer game. Half-life's Sven coop mod, for example, handles this issue beautifully.
Are there any alternative coop mods or mutators that fulfil my requirement, or will I have to contend myself with using "summon" commands to spawn in weapon pickups for weapons we've already found in the level (but lost upon death)?
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

This is more a question to server admins such as Strategy-(DOG)- or Hyper. The vast majority of the coop servers around includes modifications that cause the player to spawn with a set inventory rather than a plain dispersion pistol.

Or, you could just join one of the existing servers instead of hosting your own which bypasses the problem entirely.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

JCoopZ has the bRetainInventory option, but it recovers too much stuff, including used up inventory. If I remember correctly, if you use the suicide command or the map is switched while you're dead, your inventory won't be recovered with this mod.

PrototypeCoop also has the bRetainInventory option, which detaches the current inventory from the owner when he dies and returns it back to the owner when he respawns. If the map is switched while you're dead, your inventory won't be recovered, unless the bHardCorps mode is enabled. If you die while the bHardCorps option is on, you can't respawn immediately and have to wait a configurable amount of time before respawning becomes possible (5 minutes by the default, 1 minute is the minimum that can be specified in config), and if everyone can't play because of waiting for respawning, then the current map is restarted.

JCoopZ is a publicly available mod, you can download it from this web-site, for example: https://www.oldunreal.com/downloads/unr ... or-unreal/

PrototypeCoop is my own creature which I never released for public because of its crappy legacy code, but I can give it to you if you want.
pellinore

Post by pellinore »

Many thanks, Masterkent! I gave JCoopZ a trial run and retain inventory seems to be doing its job. In truth I'd heard of that mod, but after installing Unreal Gold + 227i a couple of years ago (I'm rather illiterate when it comes to classic games that aren't RTSs, I have to confess; it took me this long to get to playing Unreal), and seeing it had a coop option by default, I made the wrong assumption that the mod had been superseded by this option; and what's even worse, I tried looking it up before posting here, and couldn't actually find a proper download location. It was daft of me not to check the oldunreal list. Much obliged!
I think we'll be more than content with JCoopZ for our private game, but I appreciate the offer of testing PrototypeCoop. Thanks again.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”