For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

What is the current state of 227j?

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
ExpEM
OldUnreal Member

What is the current state of 227j?

Post by ExpEM »

All in the title, @ those in the know, how is the latest iteration?
Can we all please have an update as to how things are going?
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Re: What is the current state of 227j?

Post by Hyper »

It's still in development with frequent releases to beta testers. I still hope for a public release or beta release but that is not up to me to decide.

As tester:
227j_42 has been running stable for very long at my servers. A bunch of versions that came after were unstable but now everything feels rock-solid again with uptimes of many months without a single crash. So, from the viewpoint of me as beta tester (at game servers) the state is fine now.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

we've had some drawbacks lately, some nasty regressions, but right now it looks good. There will be at least one more internal beta now and I want to go through bug reports again to be sure we missed nothing critical.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
ExpEM
OldUnreal Member

Post by ExpEM »

Thank you both for your responses, I (and I'm sure many others) are glad to hear things are coming along!
Thank you for the work you do thumbsup
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I'm in the same boat as Hyper here, though for me the crashes only stopped completely within the last month for my server, and uptimes are reaching levels comparable (if not better) than 227j_42's "gold standard". My uptime resetting is based on new builds coming out, not crashes -- which is absolutely a good thing.
Psychomorph
OldUnreal Member

Post by Psychomorph »

I hope we see it soon. Most players that I see playing Co-op do it on 227j servers. Lonely Co-op games these days.
ividyon
OldUnreal Member

Post by ividyon »

Smirftsch wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:47 pm we've had some drawbacks lately, some nasty regressions, but right now it looks good. There will be at least one more internal beta now and I want to go through bug reports again to be sure we missed nothing critical.
Any updates? What's keeping back the release?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Yes, updates- a lot of progress indeed. There have been no major issues anymore in the later versions, just smaller things, so I was fixing a bunch of little annoyances lately as well as checking and updating the ini files in preparation for the release. I'll work through the paperwork in the next days and I think until then we've got ruled out the remaining problems (some minor UMenu/Classic menu glitches). But most of it, I feel better again lately so I am finally able to do something more again.
Right now everything looks like a "go" very soon ;)
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Looks like I've got to hurry up with Polish, then.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Don't bother, cut out the localization entirely. The RTNP subtitles (with genders) aren't supported anymore the way they were in 227i. I dunno what to do with it now that they are no longer supported.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

There's a lot of stuff introduced in v227j which I had to localize using Google Translate so we can have something to work with. And then there's UT, which needs a complete revision by an actual Polish speaker because (with the exception of the shared lines) the rest was computer-generated.

Here's the actual situation on the language: https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... olish_.plt

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Well, still nothing new came up as far as I can see, nothing vital at least, maybe a very few things yet to get through in Github reports.
NeonKnight is still updating internationalization and there seems to be some work yet with release notes. I need to check all the license stuff again to be sure we didn't miss any external dependency.
There even has been some motion regarding webadmin thanks to Buggie and although I don't consider it essential for the release (it can be updated independently if needed), we may even can have this in a good usable state for it soon.
Perhaps we need some kind of Linux installer yet, at least it would be nice to have one, but haven't spent much time on that regard yet.

NeonKnight suggested:
NeonKnightOA — 04/30/2022
May 22nd could be a good release date for the patch, lol.
It's the anniversary of the release date of the game.
[11:29 PM]
24 years (next year is 25th)
Sounds good to me...? :)

So, at everyone: give it a last test-run, play some more, check on all things again you remember, we want to finalize!
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Delacroix told me that in the next days he was going to review the Polish localization. Meanwhile Sly is reviewing the German localization. Spanish is A-OK because it's my language, lol!

All that needs to be reviewed in the language side is Catalan, French (mostly for the newer lines), Italian and Russian.

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

well, the bright side is, that the translation files can be updated any time later again as well, so its no release-breaking problem either :)
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Someone should review this and add what's missing, though. It's updated until March 7, 2022. I'm having my hands full to actually take a look:

https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... 227j_Notes

ividyon
OldUnreal Member

Post by ividyon »

Folks at USP are picking up hope and generating hype over your comment of a May 22 release date; given history, I am treading with caution.

I suggest taking it very seriously and making an actual commitment & official announcement, to differentiate from previous "sure sounds good"s about dates for proposed releases in the past, that went nowhere.

Either that or dement and announce a more realistic date.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

ividyon wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:20 pm a more realistic date.
"When it's done" 8)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

ividyon wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:20 pm Folks at USP are picking up hope and generating hype over your comment of a May 22 release date; given history, I am treading with caution.

I suggest taking it very seriously and making an actual commitment & official announcement, to differentiate from previous "sure sounds good"s about dates for proposed releases in the past, that went nowhere.

Either that or dement and announce a more realistic date.
haha, I see your point :)
Well, right now I am working out some things yet and I am waiting for some final playtesting reports. I will do a definite confirmation within the week yet I think.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

IDK if Delacroix is going to review Polish. Sly is reviewing German. In the meantime, I'm sending the latest localization updates to OldUnreal/Unreal-testing.

Psychomorph
OldUnreal Member

Post by Psychomorph »

I could review Proto Indo-European. Am quite fluent in it.
ividyon
OldUnreal Member

Post by ividyon »

No game is complete without a localization for English (Pirate).
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Sorry for the delay. In my family we had a bereavement, so I wasn't able to take care about the things here and it will eat up some more time next week yet.
Nevertheless, so far I have no further news- what's good news indeed because there is no new reason why the release should be delayed, but I am waiting right now for a few confirmations yet. I wish could give a more definite confirmation at this time, but let me say this- if it will be delayed again we are talking about a few days only at max.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Excellent.

In the meantime, we got ourselves another new language for v227j: DUTCH!
And if everything goes OK, this week we'll have Portuguese. And that'll be it for U1.

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

LOL, I am impressed again. I wish everyone would be as diligent as you are :)
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Smirftsch wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:35 am Sorry for the delay. In my family we had a bereavement, so I wasn't able to take care about the things here and it will eat up some more time next week yet.
Nevertheless, so far I have no further news- what's good news indeed because there is no new reason why the release should be delayed, but I am waiting right now for a few confirmations yet. I wish could give a more definite confirmation at this time, but let me say this- if it will be delayed again we are talking about a few days only at max.
Sorry for your loss, Smirf :/

I'll motivate some of the people i know with beta access to test the latest version to check that things are in working order. So far everything seems good though, and i'm glad most of the long standing issues have been resolved, kinda feel like we'll need to go over it with a fine comb first though just for confirmation!
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Return to “Unreal 227”