For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

OpenGL & D3D renderers in Development still?

Questions, Tips&Tricks for the special patches
Zombie
Administrator

OpenGL & D3D renderers in Development still?

Post by Zombie »

Im just curious if the custom OpenGL and D3D Unreal drivers are still being developed and fixed of buggs that pop up in Unreal. I use v226f and Smirftsch's OpenGL renderer v2.1.0.5. It works great on my Geforce2 MX card and is very fast. Any plans to update it to try and sqeeze more speed without breaking something?

Anyways, Some problems ive noticed is about the Sky map/texture in some unreal maps. In some cases the sky seems to be too far up or something and you can see the edges of the sky. It looks like a big square sky, heh. Also, ive noticed some textures tend to flicker in the distance in rare instances, its not annoying much though. Im not sure it its a refresh sync problem causing that or the OpenGL renderer.    
Last edited by Zombie on Fri May 10, 2002 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: OpenGL & D3D renderers in Development still?

Post by Smirftsch »

uhmm...kinda hard question; the major part possible is done- don't forget i never had the complete sources, so general changings were never and maybe will never be possible - got today the glide sources, so i MAY can change something in the masking bug of the opengl renderer, anything else...no idea, maybe if i can find out something more or some happy day i get more code...
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Kerilkkorn
OldUnreal Member

Re: OpenGL & D3D renderers in Development still?

Post by Kerilkkorn »

Usualy flickering is caused by BSP hole or HOM effects. Very annoying for mapper, and even comercial maps contain some of them. You can count at least three in the flyby of unreal, and they appear each time under every renderer : D3D, OpenGL and Glide.
Under D3D, we could try to make the 16 bit color mode available under XP, but I have no idea from where the bug comes from.
As the transluancy bug doesn't come from the renderer, I don't see much things we could change.
As for the speed improvements, the GL renderer is very good/fast and the code very clean and I wouldn't mess with it. The D3D could be improved by swithing to DX8.1, but that would mean complete rebuild of the renderer.
As Smirftsch is taking care of the transluency problem I don't see anything else realistic we could do to improve it.
War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left...

Return to “OpenGL & D3D for Unreal & UnrealTournament”