For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Shared Dig Action section / On the Run (or whatever it's called) MIDI conversion

Everything you know about music composition and music editing for Unreal. Present your music here (only free music).
xan1242
OldUnreal Member

Shared Dig Action section / On the Run (or whatever it's called) MIDI conversion

Post by xan1242 »

Not the usual site I'd post this kind of content on, but since it's Unreal it has to be here.

So I literally ported the song to MIDI and boy it was TOUGH. I ended up having each track for each sample on each channel (tho I suppose that's good due to key shifts) which in total was about 80 or so tracks to process. I worked on this for about a day in total time (give or take 2 hours).

Currently I made it with the SC-8850 and there's still a lot work to do. Harp&Strings instrument is super quiet sadly, I'll have to adjust like 5 billion volume controllers to get it and some others right (since tracker music is very different from MIDI).

Drums are meh at best IMO, I need to make a custom drum map on the Sound Canvas if I want anything good out of it. It's not like it can't replicate the song (it in fact exceeds most if not all tracker's capabilities by a lot) but it's just tough to control.
I mean, I had to look in the manual for the SysEx addresses and once I actually made a SysEx message I had to calculate the checksum for it to just set effects on that noise at the beginning. That should give you an idea how complicated it is.
Download link (v1)

(old stuff below)
[url=http://puu.sh/pUblp/e7a9ee0281.ogg]Download link (v1 beta)[/url]

Once it's finished (if I do finish it :V) I'll release the MIDI along with a General MIDI version (so you can play it in Doom with OPL2 if you want). If I don't finish this, well, I'll make sure I release what I have, since I kinda feel sick of listening to it and I need a break from working on this anyways.

And yes, you can mash it up just fine with the original.
Last edited by xan1242 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Shared Dig Action section / On the Run (or whatever it's called) MIDI conversion

Post by Hellkeeper »

Sounds nice, but quite weird. Interesting track. I didn't understand half of your technical stuff, though.
You must construct additional pylons.
xan1242
OldUnreal Member

Re: Shared Dig Action section / On the Run (or whatever it's called) MIDI conversion

Post by xan1242 »

MIDIs are finished (somewhat):
Download link (v1)

GM version is kinda craptastic, needs volume rebalancing for GM which I haven't taken into account yet.
SC-8850 version needs a bit of cleanup maybe, otherwise it's fine.

Anyhow, enjoy the MIDIs! I will update the link accordingly with a newer version (in the first post).

I have to get back to PS2 hacking. ;D
Last edited by xan1242 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

That's actually pretty cool, I have to say the SC-8850 version doesn't even sound so bad.

Now I guess shared dig is suited for this since it sounds like some 80's synthesizer track anyway, but I wonder how this conversion would fare for some other tracks that rely a lot more on actual samples :D

Return to “Unreal Music”