For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Evolution v1.1 Release

Unreal Mod related boards can be found here. Missing one? Let me know.
Shadow_Code
OldUnreal Member

Unreal Evolution v1.1 Release

Post by Shadow_Code »

[media]zQ66DlLGer8[/media]

UNREAL EVOLUTION RELEASE TRAILER

WELCOME TO UNREAL EVOLUTION
---------------------------

Experience a classic FPS with polished, expanded and improved design across the board: Artificial intelligence expansions, subtle and meaningful level design, sound effect and graphics improvements, improved weapon design, deepened player control, bug fixing, tight challenge and more.

What GMDX is to Deus Ex, Unreal Evolution is to Unreal.

--------------------------------
Link removed temporarily

Edit by Kajgue: I've removed the link temporarily until the issues involving the official RTNP content being included in the download are rectified, aswel as the installation unnecessarily interfering with user config files.
Last edited by Shadow_Code on Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mahem
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Evolution v1.0 Release

Post by Mahem »

I played through the Evolution mod.
Now I want to return to original Unreal 227J.
I deselected the mod in the mutators section at the beginning of a new game.
But it still starts with the modified maps.
How to return to original maps?
Shadow_Code
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shadow_Code »

Three options:

-Access and remove the paths to the Unreal Evolution folder in-game via Advanced options
-Do the same to the paths directly in Unreal.ini.
-Or just delete/rename the Unreal Evolution folder.
Last edited by Shadow_Code on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow_Code
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shadow_Code »

Download the latest version of Unreal Evolution (v1.1):
Link removed temporarily

It's quite possible this is the last release for Unreal Evolution. The mod was for the most part already fulfilled with the first release.

This is mostly a patch; just adding the final touches to the game, but it does also add a few nice features. I've ordered the changelog in order of signficance. Check it out:
v1.1 Patch Notes
================

Significant:

-Dedicated Grenade key: press this key to toss a grenade regardless of what you have selected in your inventory. Can be bound to any key.
-You can manually reload the automag by pressing the 2 key.
-Dodging is fixed for players that got stuck in the dodge state.
-Bugfix: Double-click dodging option is reinstated.
-Jump boots last 60 seconds (actually same as vanilla), and provide infinite jumps in that duration. The HUD inventory icon shows the bar gradually draining with every second. This makes jump boots useful in combat.
-Made a very nice level design enhancement to the end of DasaPass.
-New firing sounds for Eightball primary, Flak Cannon Alt, and Minigun Both modes.
-Improved minigun primary fire: slightly increased rate of fire, and it fires at a consistent speed rather than like a three round burst weapon.
-Added some more enemies, varied based on difficulty mode.
-Mod compatibility: Removed UE's extended translator features when loading up anything other than Unreal Singleplayer, to ensure compatibility with other mods as well as the RtNP expansion pack.
-New rare enemy type: Gasbag Brawlers
-New teleport sound effect for Skaarj Officers, so it is always clearly telegraphed when one has teleported.
-New: Mercenaries now may rarely fire heat seeking rockets instead of normal rockets. (Don't worry they're easily avoided)
-New Hardcore Exclusive weapon module: Flak and Eightball Projectile Speed Tier 2
-Dodging into decorations smashes them. Useful for a number of reasons.
-Overhauled the giant gasbag bossfight
-Razorjack blades now make the enemy flinch with high frequency. This is to add more satisfying hit feedback for the RJ as well as make the weapon more powerful equivalent to other late game weapons.
-Temple of Velora: fixed crashing when autosaving

Redone Krall AI:
     KRALL
     -Removed multi-shot attacks from Krall.
     -New: in combat there's a chance Krall may enter an enraged state. In this state they will charge you and unleash their melee attacks.
    ELITE KRALL
     -May fire blue homing bolts (rare chance), interspersed with normal bolt attacks.
     -Has triple shot. Triple shots will not execute at very close range, nor if they do not have line of sight (suppressing fire).
     -Dodge slightly more frequently than vanilla Elites.
     -Still has forcefield.

Moderate Significance:

-The stinger and automag receives a damage boost of +1 or 2 from a damage mod to account for truncated decimals in vanilla damage code originally resulting in those two weapons seeing less benefit of the damage mod than other weapons.
-Fixed MuzzleFlash offsets for the Dispersion Pistol and Stinger when using Centered weapons.
-Increased Stinger and Automag recoil by 20%
-Flak and Eightball Alt fire modes send dodge signals more consistently.
-Increased Flak Cannon Recoil by 50%
-Weapon module that decreases ASMD amp drain by 40% is now 30%
-Balanced audio between Stinger's old fire sound and the new one.
-Gasbags and Titan won't in-fight during the relevant boss battle.
-Gasbag fireballs emit looping ambient audio, meaning you can hear them coming.
-Fixed the remaining Nali Hut crash.
-Mercenaries cannot fire rockets at point blank range while invisible, and also have slightly less chance of firing rockets while invisible in general.
-Sky Town: Moved a nali healing plant, added a Jetty to the water to make the level a complete circuit, and made one of the progression-critical rooms more obvious.
-Reduced Titan rock damage
-Fixed muzzleflash offset for the dispersion pistol when left-handed
-Changed the positioning of the ASMD when left-handed.
-Skaarj Officers Teleport less frequently as a dodge move, and slightly more frequently if they lose you as a target
-Doubled the size of blood puff effect (e.g cloud of blood when gibbing).
-Made a number of improvements to Bluff Eversmoking
-Added minor things to many levels (texture work, lighting, resource balancing, new enemy placement).
-Increased Automag base damage by 1
-Reduced flak brute health by 30
-NaliC: added a heath pickup to the main hall
-Bugfix: the minigun can destroy decorations while underwater.
-Krall are slightly more likely to get cut in half when low on health and shot in the midsection.
-BugFix: tentacles aren't immune to ASMD combo explosion when in the hiding state.

Minor Significance:

-Titan's ground slam adds more x/y velocity to the player, so that he's more likely to knock down boss cheesers from upon their perch.
-A brute no longer randomly falls from above in the first mine level (vanilla oddity).
-Changed super jump boots translator description for greater clarity.
-Replaced a hc mode flak brute with a gasbag on SkyCaves
-Fixed a BSP issue on SkyTown
-Added texture work and adjusted enemy placement on DasaCellars.
-Player doesn't scream in pain if blown up (they have no lungs, throat, vocal cords or mouth).
-decreased collision radius of a number of Terranuix's trees.
-Fixed a BSP hole on IsvKran1
-Moved Bluff Nali Save from the crucifixes to the graveyard.
-Made a few Nali Saves more visible
-Teleporting skaarj avoid water as a teleport destination
-Invisible water surface in the sunspire fixed
-Changed Skaarj Officer placement on SkyCaves
-Potentially fixed weird triggers on SkyBase
-Changed SkyTown Skaarj Officer's weapon from a flak cannon to a dispersion pistol.
-Fix: Bio Rifle statistics display Bio Rifle's true damage value
-SkyTown: Boarded up a window on hardcore to prevent crouching through, and moved Nali save.
-DCrater: Fixed HOM effect on the teleporter.
-Made a minor health pickup adjustment on bluff to reduce backtracking.
-Every Major area of the sunspire contains at least 1 major item, ensuring thorough exploration is worthwhile.
-Fixed a broken Skaarj melee attacker at the beginning of MothershipCore
-Increased flare light radius by 2
-Made slight ammo pickup adjustments on dasa pass
-Dasa Cellars: added a Nali save, made sure some bars that open won't kill you, and other polishing.
-Titan footsteps are louder and can be heard at greater range.
-Titan Health increased.
-Titan speed increased.
-Titan rock damage reduced considerably.
-Reduced the time it takes for the bridge to raise on Velora Pass by 10 seconds
-Added 2 flashlights to late game.
-Bugfix: Nali ghosts won't save if you're dead
-Made The Warlord immune to Lava damage (so he doesn't commit suicide).
-ExtremeBeg: changed an unfair skaarj placement, made a secret more obvious, and other minor tweaks.
-Ceremony: fixed falling through a wooden platforming.
-Increased Razorjack dodge signal frequency slightly. (vanilla = enemies never attempt to dodge. v1.0 = 30%. v2.0 = 35%)
-QueenEnd: Fixed scripted queen yelling whenever a pupae is killed, even if the queen is dead. (fixed for sure this time)
-ExtremeBeg: Eased up on enemy placement/ambushes in two instances.
-ExtremeBeg: The second propulsion shaft "jump pad" now blasts you to the required height automatically.
-ExtremeBeg: removed unavoidable damage during razor trap
-Razorblade traps cannot be cheesed with ASMD alt fire.
-ExtremeDark: fixed bsp errors

Special Credit: thanks to RoSoDude for the double-click dodging fix.
Last edited by Shadow_Code on Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Looks like I missed taking a look at this one on 1.0 release..

modified maps without changing map names? I assume that was to preserve teleporter URLs... also, a modified upak.u? what's different in it?

curious, did you add any pathing to the maps while you were making the modifications?

looks interesting
Shadow_Code
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shadow_Code »

Map names weren't changed because there is no reason to change them. Unreal Evolution installs them to a sub-directory.

Some pathing changes, yes.

In other news, I'm working on getting Unreal Evolution's mutator to a highly compatible state with other mods and RTNP. Currently I am testing the mutator with Unpunished's Phoenix Mission Pack. You get Unreal Evolution's:

-Much improved Weaponry (which is very close to vanilla balance by design).
-Subtly improved inventory: Can carry multiple forcefields, flares don't explode after 10 seconds but a more reasonable 20, turning off scuba gear underwater won't instantly drown you etc.
-Improved Artificial Intelligence. I just implemented this last night. It includes all but the The Warlord as that ideally requires special hand-placed navigation points.

When replacing vanilla enemies with UE's, it seems I have to manually also transfer properties changed by level designers. So far I've got:

AttitudeToPlayer
FirstHatePlayerEvent
AlarmTag
Orders
OrderTag
DropWhenKilled
CombatStyle
Aggressiveness
TeamTag
SightRadius
AnimSequence
Also Filter options such as enemies only appearing on certain difficulties.

These are properties I noticed Epic changed on a per-pawn basis, for example to make a certain pawn run to an alarm point as soon as he sees you, for combat music to play  when another sees you, or for another still to stay back in combat or get in your face and be aggressive. Let me know if there's anything I should add, or better yet a way to automate the transference of level designer's custom properties.
Last edited by Shadow_Code on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Evolution v1.1 Release

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

there's a good reason to change the maps, and that's being able to play it online without the clients needing to know about the changed maps ahead of time. it also means that you don't have to have special install/uninstall instructions since you can use a .int (at least in 227i IIRC) to add your campaign
Shadow_Code
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shadow_Code »

Press coverage: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/04/unrea ... ay-unreal/

@Kasey: There are no special install instructions. You run the .exe, bam, it's done. Ease of install is extremely high priority for me.
Unreal Evolution is also strictly a singleplayer experience, at least for the time being, so I see no need for online features. Perhaps I am missing something here.

When using just the mutator for improved weaponry etc, however, it's just a .u and .int and should be usable any which way.

If people want to help make the mod as accessible on a technical level as possible, that'd be appreciated. Just make sure you understand how the mod itself works too. For example, it overrides 227i's console, which results in some obstacles regarding installation.
Last edited by Shadow_Code on Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I pretty much exclusively play unreal in the context of an online multiplayer server for coop, and simply just renaming the maps (and editing the end teleporters) would allow that to work. also, I prefer manual installation over running executables. additionally, for security purposes I and many others have unreal.ini or their entire system folder set to readonly due to malicious mods or other nefarious things such as jcoopz adding tracking to your user and unreal.ini. as I understand it the executable needs to edit the unreal.ini to edit the paths entry to add new paths earlier to supercede the original maps

there's also the obvious problem that having this installed as-is immediately will cause version mismatches when attempting to connect to coop servers running the original maps since packages are looked up by their names initially, which does qualify as a bug
Shadow_Code
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shadow_Code »

None of this warrants any change as of yet. It's not a co-op mod, and ease of installation takes absolute priority.

Thanks for the information. Should I decide to add co-op support in the future, it will be helpful. I don't see that happening though.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

it's as simple as changing the maps to new name, editing end teleporter URLs, adding a .int file, and dropping the maps into the maps folder instead of the custom path you create. the current install method is actually more involved than it would be by not needing to edit

and again installing this mod breaks online play for normal coop which is clearly a bug. not to mention the mysterious custom upak.u, which also breaks online play for normal coop with servers running upak and potentially deathmatch too, as well as maybe getting you autokicked or autobanned from anticheats. good feature. +1 would recommend

but you can continue to not change it, and i will continue to not play it. if you continue to not fix this glaringly obvious problem, you should at least in good conscience add a disclaimer in your readme that you cannot play normal online coop and possibly get autokicked/autobanned from DM servers. you would be doing a disservice to your audience otherwise.

unreal was meant for modding, not wholesale replacing existing packages. it's just not how it's supposed to work.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Heya,

Looks pretty cool judging from the video preview + screenshots, and looks like you definately put alot of work into this.

However, modifying stock packages genuinely is not a good idea, as it will break compatibility with users who don't have this or have chosen not to install it. I understand you want to have ease of installation, but in the current manner that the installation is implemented, it creates more problems for the user, especially if they need to uninstall in order to regain compatibility.

And I also agree, that it's bad that the user isn't at least warned of this unless amending what the installation does so that incompatibilities are avoided. Would either of these be okay considering the implications? :-/

Thanks for sharing this though Shadow_Code, if the incompatibilities are rectified I would like to give this a try. :)

Over and out.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Shadow_Code
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shadow_Code »

Again I will state that you should get to know what the mod is doing before telling me what I am supposedly doing wrong. There is no "mystery" custom upak.u. that's vanilla, so it's not causing any harm. Why does it exist? You don't know, yet you see fit to come and spout bullshit.

This mod isn't for you if you can't follow simple instructions that clearly states all you need to do is backup System to avoid any compatibility issues. It takes zero time and effort to do so.
I am aware there are compatibility issues if you do not follow my instruction. It's the price to pay for having a one-step install.
Last edited by Shadow_Code on Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Wolf

Post by Silver Wolf »

Hey Shadow_Code

I've played through the entire mod, it was pretty cool, I do like the new enemy AI quite a lot and the weapon upgrades are cool, even if they can be a bit op if you know what you're doing

But I wanted to mention, the way you install the mod is actually pretty bad for the user, because if you wanted to quickly swap to vanilla Unreal, you can't, you'd have to edit your Unreal.ini and a lot of people probably don't know how to do that

An easy way of fixing this issue as Casey was trying to say, is to just rename the maps, link them to each other and use an .int file to make the Campaign appear on the Start Game menu, it doesn't make the installation any more complex at all, I did it myself and it took me like half a hour, not that much time compared to how long the entire mod probably took you to make

Also I did check the Upak file and yeah it is literally just 227i's vanilla Upak.u so there's nothing wrong with that file
Shadow_Code
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shadow_Code »

even if they can be a bit op if you know what you're doing
Oh?

Two questions: Which ones, and did you play on hardcore mode where challenge is peak.
But I wanted to mention, the way you install the mod is actually pretty bad for the user, because if you wanted to quickly swap to vanilla Unreal, you can't, you'd have to edit your Unreal.ini and a lot of people probably don't know how to do that

An easy way of fixing this issue as Casey was trying to say, is to just rename the maps, link them to each other and use an .int file to make the Campaign appear on the Start Game menu, it doesn't make the installation any more complex at all, I did it myself and it took me like half a hour, not that much time compared to how long the entire mod probably took you to make

Also I did check the Upak file and yeah it is literally just 227i's vanilla Upak.u so there's nothing wrong with that file
Once again I am told what my mod supposedly does by people that do not know what my mod does.

Now I will tell you as this is getting silly. Here's the thing: UE overrides 227i's console, and it modifies some int files for new key input. Changing the map names will accomplish nothing here as there is still the question of what to do with everything else while also maintaining a one-step easy install process.
If you can find me a solution to those two problems, I'll listen, and sure, change the map names in the process too. Of course I want the mod to not be destructive, but whining about map names misses the point and is not helpful. For now, simply backing up the system folder as instructed solves compatibility issues, and is very easy to do. The alternative is having those not very technically-inclined going through an extensive multi-step install process or digging in .ini files and that is not good at all. You guys are supposed to be technically-inclined and also able to follow one simple instruction to avoid compatability issues. It's not like I don't warn you either. Moddb and the .exe both.

My other mod, GMDX, was also destructive (technically. though less so than this), but that didn't stop 100,000+ people downloading and enjoying it. A lot of people wouldn't have been able to enjoy it if it weren't so easy to install. There was simply nothing I could do to not make it destructive aside from omitting that content or having people manually install, which obviously defeats the point. From what I can tell, this is the same issue, but I could be wrong.
Last edited by Shadow_Code on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Wolf

Post by Silver Wolf »

I was on the highest difficulty, I put all the upgrades I could on the rifle and I could just gun down a Skaarj Lord or Berserker with barely any effort because of the 88 damage, recoil reduction and +80% firerate + knockback, also the fact you find the rifle earlier than usual making the ammo less rare, but that was mostly the only overpowered thing I found in the weapon upgrades to be fair
Shadow_Code
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shadow_Code »

Thanks for the feedback. I will reexamine rifle balance. Though ammo for it is rarer than other weapons (though less so than vanilla). A base damage nerf is in order I think.
Last edited by Shadow_Code on Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Again I will state that you should get to know what the mod is doing before telling me what I am supposedly doing wrong.
Sure, I can do that but --

you shouldn't need to supply a upak.u at all, and there's no way at a glance anyone could ever know it's not modified, applying occam's razor here would indicate that it is modified because why else would it be installed?

Perhaps you should understand how the game is supposed to be modded before you should be supplying critical system files which is illegal I might add, the legal requirement for the 227 patch was to create two separate installers, one for "classic" unreal, and one for unrealgold. the main difference is that upak.u and upak.dll are updated with the patch. There should be no reason to supply this file especially given that future patches will update this file and depending on the order of installation i.e. 227j and then unreal evolution, you would actually downgrade your upak to a worse, more buggy version. It's just not logical. your installer should check for the presence of upak.u and if not found, don't install it. I have confirmed that the GUID at least matches a known upak.u in addition to a SHA256 hash match so there's that. it is a legit file, although supplied for the wrong reasons.

Your edit to unrealshare.int was unnecessary and harmful to the user, since there are other mods that actually use grab as intended -- to be grab. you could have named a .int file literally anything and had two lines in to add a "grenade" command, or whatever you want. yeah, you'd have to make a custom inventory item or playerpawn with a new exec function, but you already did do that as I see you have exports for new players called "MaleTwoExt", "MaleThreeExt" etc, except you did it in the worst way possible by copypasting the same code everywhere in multiple classes -- MaleOneExt extends MaleOne, not a class with a bunch of modified base settings. yeah, what you did works, but it's also hell to update anything if something changes. You can see how UPak did this with "UPakPlayer" and "UPakHuman" etc. NaliPlayerExt and the skaarj classes don't even have a new grab function to throw grenades but that could be intentional.

Anyway, this is all you needed to do to add a new input to the menu so it could be rebound over G, with proof that it works according to the input system.
Commenting grab and replacing it with a new description was not the right way to go.

though you didn't really have any choice about renaming skill descriptions, you get that one at least. I dont really like the descriptions to begin with and it was also probably a mistake to not include difficulty descriptions in the .int file in hindsight.

but the campaign if changed to be compatible with the original maps via rename to a more sane system would need an int file with any other name other than a supplied system file with a line like this:

Code: Select all

Object=(Name=Game.Game,Class=Class,MetaClass=UnrealShare.SinglePlayer,Description="Nyleve;Unreal 1(Skip Vortex Rikers)")

fyi: supplying a modified umenu.int and upak.u to someone on an classic unreal install will render the changes pointless since they run the original menu that doesn't actually show the uwindow interface. so if you want to complete the "supply stale packages to illegally upgrade unreal classic installs to unreal gold" you will need to supply umenu.u and change their console in unreal.ini ...
Shadow_Code
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shadow_Code »

You're the best!
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

no. not even close.
Shadow_Code
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shadow_Code »

That was sarcasm. The problem is not solved; a clean install is seemingly not possible under the rule of easy installation as you've now come to realise, and you went a step further in your asshattery.

Again, backup the system folder as instructed and there is no problem.
Last edited by Shadow_Code on Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Wow, you're the greatest modder in the world. Doesn't care to understand how the game works, doesn't care to make a proper uninstaller, yet praises their installer as the greatest thing among mankind, illegally upgrades clients if they are not unreal gold based clients, doesn't create an uninstaller yet expects their users to backup the system folder, doesn't add a disclaimer that online play will be broken if they join coop servers and could potentially get them autokicked or autobanned, as well as not being future proof for newer versions of 227 due to the fact that you will intentionally just overwrite upak.

Again, just don't be an idiot and there won't be a problem.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

also, a clean installer is possible, if you don't overwrite any existing .int file, losing descriptions changing on the campaign is a bummer for sure though. the only other work you'd have to do is rename maps to something like ${MAPNAME}_UEV and the teleporter urls to match the new ones so you dont *have* to edit unreal.ini with the new paths, thus eliminating the need to backup the system folder. it would be a one time permanent install that doesn't alter any stock files, only add new ones to add unreal evolution to the start new game menu.

i've been trying to help you here and provided all the information you need but.. oh well.

EDIT: it is possible to override the UMenu.MenuBar's GameUMenuDefault in unreal.ini to a new menu subclass so you can change the skill descriptions only for your campaign. It's also likely possible to override the OptionsUMenuDefault for the same thing with dodge, but I don't know if dodge operates differently with your pawns or not, I just saw the description change in the .int you'll have to be as minimal as possible in edits since I hear 227j has a lot of umenu updates and it might break, which wouldn't be your fault anyway
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[UDHQ]Jackrabbit
OldUnreal Member

Post by [UDHQ]Jackrabbit »

The DjT of Oldunreal modding 8-)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

That was sarcasm. The problem is not solved; a clean install is seemingly not possible under the rule of easy installation as you've now come to realise, and you went a step further in your asshattery.

Again, backup the system folder as instructed and there is no problem.
First off, pretty everyone playing Unreal is always happy about new content like yours and I have seen very little complains about the mod itself.
What people dislike is that your mod obviously does unwanted changes which can be very troublesome for people not knowing how to revert them if not reinstalling the entire game - and even for people who do it's additional unwanted and unnecessary work.

Honestly- would you want some random mod modify your installation? Breaking online functionality, replacing files, changing vital ini settings and maybe even more things nobody knows if not checking every file by file?
The definition of that behavior is MALWARE and absolutely unacceptable. And don't get me wrong here- I didn't and I don't say it is, but it behaves like that.

Also you have been told that UPak should not be included for various reasons, there are different versions out there bundled with different patches in 224, 226 and 227 and a bunch of custom fixed up versions, there is no single "Vanilla" version- and the original Upak.u's are bound to a dll so your version can't be any of these.
Many people (including me) are also sure that including it is a violation of the copyright as well as you have been already told too. Granted, I am no lawyer and although it is usually accepted and not having any legal effect that modified original maps are included in map packs/mods, the original UPak wasn't bound for fun with a dll and many of the original files are also flagged as "not downloadable" by Epic for good reason. I am responsible by law for the content being distributed here- I think there is no need to explain what this means.
[edit]I just checked, it is the 227i one you use, but on non gold Unreal versions it will crash on some places without the dll then.[/edit]

Your point of having an easy and working installer is one of the very best arguments one can have- but absolutely no reason not to fix and change the things mentioned and therefor not valid. Besides, an exe file can trigger antivirus software and to offer a .zip file with some simple install instructions shouldn't be a problem either for people not willing to execute some random .exe file.

That being said, you shouldn't be surprised about the reactions from the people here and considering this they have been more than diplomatic and calm.
You have been given a lot of advice what and how to change everything easily with little work but instead of showing some insight you go rampage and start to harass people- what do you want to archive with that?
With that kind of attitude many people are just pissed off instead of wanting to play your mod, so please, don't take everything as an attack toward you or your work but listen.
I'm sure you spent many many hours to create your mod so why not taking a few minutes and clear the mentioned things instead of lamentating.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.

Return to “Unreal Mods”