For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Recollection. (Long Winded Post from an Old INF Map Maker.)

Anything related to the Infiltration-Mod
Weevil_Monkey
OldUnreal Member

Recollection. (Long Winded Post from an Old INF Map Maker.)

Post by Weevil_Monkey »

Hello Friends,

This post will be a bit long winded, but I just wanted to take a moment to reflect on this game, as it has always held a special place in my heart. It gives me a good feeling inside to know that some semblance of a community still exists.

For those of you who do not know me, I made my first steps into the Infiltration playground back when I was 14 years old. I am 26 now, so almost half a lifetime ago I began playing Unreal 1. I was in Junior High school, and I had saved up just enough money to buy a game. My family had its first computer, and I was wanting to jump into the world of 3D Games. I still remember the store I was at, and where I found the box that would forever change the concept of video games for me... UNREAL! Its black box, embossed logo... Gold trimmed!

Upon purchase, I went home and installed it. Having spent most of my computer time making maps for Warcraft 2, I immediately learned of UnrealEd. Unfortunatley, UnrealEd would not work for me. Having no internet at the time, I went to a friends house and paid him the remaining money I had to download and burn "UnrealEdFix4.exe" to a CD for me. Once I got UnrealEd working, the next step was to learn how to use it! While at school one day, I found a site with tutorials, and printed out an entire binder of these UnrealEd tutorials. I spent the next several months making my own Death Match maps.

I remember the first night that my family got the internet. 56k Modem! Screaming fast! I jumped on Unreal only to find that I had to patch!!! I waited and waited, FINALLY! I was able to jump online! In the server browser I saw many many servers. Most of them were empty, but there was one name that was prevalent through the server list

[SOBServers.Com]

Naturally, I gravitated towards these servers. They had low ping for me, and I was able to make a few friends my first few games. As I looked at all of the SOB Servers in the list, I became rapidly aware of Infiltration. I downloaded the mod and waited as the first map that I would see loaded... "Ghetto". I was a teenager at the time, and hearing the repeating loop on the radio, matched with the more realistic feel for the map SOLD me. The next day as I got home from school I jumped on UnrealEd with some new realistic texture packs and hit it hard.

Over the course of the next few weeks (Or was it months?) I did all I could to become a member of this [SOB] Clan. I was hell bent on being their official map maker (haha). Eventually I was granted membership, and [SOB]Grunt, seeing some potential in me, talked [SOB]DaddyBone into offering me some webspace to host my maps. It was at this point that I created my first webpage.

I spent the next two years making maps for Unreal Infiltration. I was always so satisfied when I came upon a server hosting one of my maps.... For me, it was a big deal!! As time went on, and I made more and more maps, I realized my satisfaction didnt come from the game, but from seeing people play on my maps. It still astounds me to this day that Gravity Kills became such a big deal.

Skip forward to today. SOBServers.com is dead, and all of my old friends are gone. I occasionally talk to Grunt online Via Aim. I am a web programmer by trade, but I still havent lost my passion for gaming.

Its good to see this community still has a pulse (Albeit a very subtle one).

I came upon a few websites after googling my username, and I found several sites hosting zip files of my old maps. The feeling of nostalgia rushed back and bit me!

I purchased Unreal Gold on steam the other day for $2... I think I will create a map to see if I still have any talent left. Perhaps we can all organize a time to play.

At any rate.. Cheers, to any of you who know me. Greetings to those of you who do not.  ;)
Hyzoran
OldUnreal Member

Re: Recollection. (Long Winded Post from an Old INF Map Maker.)

Post by Hyzoran »

oZ might know you, he used to play infiltration back in the days of '99.

If your looking for some more infiltration, Redrum deathmatches is what you want to play, unfortunately you cannot use 227h on his server, so you have to use 225,226 or 227f to play.

Welcome back to Unreal! No one leaves forever, not this game.
Nothing
Oldsparky
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oldsparky »

Newbiesplayground.com,, Sickpup server is still here since 99.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

We have a 227h server running for Infiltration and updated infiltration with a lot of fixes too. Would be nice to see this one a bit more populated after all work :) - details about the new version are here in this forum.

Welcome back m8 ;)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Cow
OldUnreal Member

Post by Cow »

I remember when you first hit the unreal servers, we had some good times, all those late nights playing on the SOB servers. I think I first started shortly after the inf mod hit, things were still pretty new, joined 4C ran with them until they broke up, started TA, left after many years for personal reasons. Looked around years later, most were gone, servers were dead, never did re-install the game, still have a lot of my old maps I made somewhere on disk. Those were great times, to bad gaming now a days isn't like it was back then.
Glad to see some old blood still out and about, maybe one day, I'll dust off my M9 and fireup some of the old maps..
Death is only the beginning
Weevil_Monkey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Weevil_Monkey »

COW! Long time no see indeed. If you ever decide to dust off the m9, hit me up. weevil monkey 1 (AOL IM)
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

Thanks for sharing the tale. It wasn't long winded at all. Ya just need to see a few of my posts to see endless ramblings. But enough about that.

I love stories like yours. And that feeling of accomplishment seeing others enjoying a thing you created. It really does make all the work and long hours worth while. I was already a parent when I started playing Unreal 1, but I watched my kids grow up with computers and gaming.

My fascination with computer games started back in 1978-79, so my generation watched computer gaming (etc) develop and grow from its infancy. Your generation gets to play with the 'bigger kids' from the outset.

:)
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
[C]smokedham
OldUnreal Member

Post by [C]smokedham »

y does this even matter? INF is dead, this game is dead
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

It's alive enough for you to post. The game even has ears to hear you claim it's dead. Let's compromise. Unreal is NOT dead, it's UNdead. LoL

:D
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

its dead once we let it die. Its that easy ^^
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

It'll remain alive at least until december 21st.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.
[C]smokedham
OldUnreal Member

Post by [C]smokedham »

itz undead n shit but 227 killed online fun esp INF jus keepin it real wit ya smirf
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

what a big time nonsense. Only thing that killed Inf was that it wasn't released fast enough. The anticheat would have prevented a lot.
All the cheating and especially the ongoing and always existent accusations that cheating/bots were involved emptied the servers. That and only that alone was the reason.
And once the anticheat was in place it was already to late and many plain refused to play on these servers because they didn't want to update. The reason for that was maybe really that some players used bots and those were not working anymore.
As if an easy update which takes a few minutes would be reason enough to stop playing a game you like, sorry but that is a stupid excuse.
So if you mean fun is using aimbots, yes then you are right, because nothing in the game or gameplay was changed.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[C]smokedham
OldUnreal Member

Post by [C]smokedham »

mostly every1 quit playin afta 227 even abe (unreal soldier) well cuz da exploits were patched up like no shadows n controllin recoil wit binds thatz y he quit, C n SA wuz supposed 2 have a match afta 227 came out cuz we wuz that gud they n thot we botted but they pussied out still whooped sum azz afta 227 came out tho
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

just confirms what I said ^^
[C]smokedham
OldUnreal Member

Post by [C]smokedham »

exploits has nuthin 2 do wit bottin tho, cracker's n rajinn's bot wuz already patched, bane only tested wut his bot wuz capable of doin n spottin wut 2 lookout 4 pretty much usin sumthin bad n a helpful way, 3/4 of C wuz accused of bottin n proved m wrong
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

it doesn't change a thing- there was NO SINGLE game left anymore, no matter if just fun or even clanwars in which no one cried 1 minute after start "AIMBOT AIMBOT". 227 was about to change this, but it was to late already, also to refuse using the patch because of some exploit was maybe fixed instead of accepting the patch because it stopped the aimbot problems is more than pathetic. With 227 INF ended, but it was not the fault of 227, it was the fault of those who used the bots and those who never accepted that someone else could be better without using one.

[C]smokedham
OldUnreal Member

Post by [C]smokedham »

no1 really tried bottin besides a-bomber n few past yrs which he still sucked wit then banned from inf nxt map afta but 225 wuz alot funner, from initial 227 release inf became smaller n smaller afta each patch release
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

it became smaller and smaller, but that had nothing to do with the patch and the releases, just check the dates, the time in between. There was not much left already when 227f was released and those who were left were not willing to move on, probably because they couldn't use their bots and exploits anymore. 227 just couldn't prevent it anymore, the collapse happened long before.

Blame those who made the bots and those who used them, blame those who complained about bots where maybe never were some.

Your arguments are only reflecting this - one was banned for cheating or using exploits, how could this be fun. It's only poor and that kind of "fun" was the reason the majority left, way before 227 was used. The remaining, unable to continue their "fun", responsible for the breakdown, yes, those blamed 227 for finally stopping them.

Last edited by Smirftsch on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[C]smokedham
OldUnreal Member

Post by [C]smokedham »

got me on this technological tech talk shyt wut im sayin iz inf community talked bout 227 as a good thang fix glitches n shyt but ppl werent feelin it when it came out so it flopped n slo'd inf completely
Last edited by [C]smokedham on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

lets agree to disagree...
[C]smokedham
OldUnreal Member

Post by [C]smokedham »

aite deal
NightWing

Post by NightWing »

Heh, I remember when I supplied some textures for your first maps, W M! Long ago that was...

Oh, and I remember you way back in 4C Cow...
Last edited by NightWing on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

Heh, I remember when I supplied some textures for your first maps, W M! Long ago that was...

Oh, and I remember you way back in 4C Cow...
That moment when you reply to a going-on-five year old post...
Last edited by jaden88 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenFragged
OldUnreal Member

Post by BenFragged »

This dead post is A L I V E !  Muhahahaha

I agree totally with Smirftsch about the cause and the timing of the slow death that INF was experiencing . So.....
Nightwing and I are putting up an INF server.
We have the hardware ready. We are trying to figure out how to set up the server. If there is a link to a "How To" I can't seem to find it.

In any event... INF , not dead ... yet. Maybe we get this server up and people might want to get nostalgic and join the fun? If we build it... they will come. (?)

BenFragged
Last edited by BenFragged on Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Infiltration-Board”