For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

New commands and functions in 227

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: New commands and functions in 227

Post by Smirftsch »

added missing import parameter BUMPTEX= and BUMP= (like DETAILTEX= or DETAIL=) for textures.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Alien3674
OldUnreal Member

Post by Alien3674 »

Added some new features:
  • Variable keywords "EditInLine" and "AutoDestruct" which will do the following:
    EditInLine lets you create new objects of desired metaclass and edit its variables in properties window, looks like this: www.klankaos.com/downloads/Properties.jpg
    AutoDestruct will destroy and cleanup the object instantly from memory when actor is destroyed. This way you can store additional data on objects for actors and have it released from memory as actor dies.
  • Any object or class variables have a dropdown box to select from a reference in memory (in properties window).
  • Added new function for ScriptedTexture: DrawPortal, it uses software render device to draw a portal from any point in level on a texture (and works really fast).
  • Added PostTouch/PendingTouch functionality from UT as-well.
Is this for the 227J version?
Last edited by Alien3674 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

yes, pretty much anything added after release date of 227i is :)
PanteraMax
OldUnreal Member

Post by PanteraMax »

yes, pretty much anything added after release date of 227i is :)
At what point would you consider releasing 227j? In other words, would you release it before a major change to Unreal, setting up a base point for further work?

Just curious ... ::)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I do want to release it asap, but there is still quite some things on my list and during the last weeks I didn't have any time to work on it due to some RL obligations.
There are no real "critical" issues anymore as far I can tell from the feedback of the testers, but it's hard to just stop working on it as long as you know there are still some issues people want to see fixed...
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

I do want to release it asap, but there is still quite some things on my list and during the last weeks I didn't have any time to work on it due to some RL obligations.
There are no real "critical" issues anymore as far I can tell from the feedback of the testers, but it's hard to just stop working on it as long as you know there are still some issues people want to see fixed...
You could fix those in 227k also. I think the public deserves to experience the improvements that are already in 227j now. In the end, there always will come additional bug reports and things to improve. I think that an iterative approach is good.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

yes, you are right here. I'm going to ask if there is some really blocking things yet and will prepare the release. Also need to do the paperwork yet (updating the release notes etc.)...*sigh*
Last edited by Smirftsch on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

yes, you are right here. I'm going to ask if there is some really blocking things yet and will prepare the release. Also need to do the paperwork yet (updating the release notes etc.)...*sigh*
227j_40 is running stable at my servers for a long time now. No blocking things from my side.
There are always some minor things that need polishing, but leave that to the next releases. Not worth delaying the release even more for imho.
Last edited by Hyper on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Network emitters do seem to have a problem yet, also need to check if there is this ALAudio problem MrMojoRisin reported (although this might be ok already by now). MK is probably ready since a few weeks ago with his UMenu updates too.
Perhaps have to do some updates yet MK posted already. Most time will be indeed updating release notes...:P
So...not that much but nothing more I can think of either.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

Network emitters do seem to have a problem yet
What kind of problem?
MK is probably ready since a few weeks ago with his UMenu updates too.
UMenu aggregates the largest part of changes, but I prepared some modifications for other packages too:

Engine
UDSDemo
UnrealI
UnrealShare
UPak
UWindow

I need the most recent .uc files for merging.
Tribal

Post by Tribal »

I'm new here, so i don't know if this is the right place to ask this question... sorry if i'm in the wrong forum

I want to know if there is any command line or anything that i can write in the unreal.ini file to disable the blue screen filter that shows up for a second everytime i press quicksave (F6 key). I'm using patch 227i.

Thanks

.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Post by .:..: »

I'm new here, so i don't know if this is the right place to ask this question... sorry if i'm in the wrong forum

I want to know if there is any command line or anything that i can write in the unreal.ini file to disable the blue screen filter that shows up for a second everytime i press quicksave (F6 key). I'm using patch 227i.

Thanks
Unfortunately not, it's just part of loading screen.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
OldUnreal Member

So as some of you are probably aware I was given access to work on UE1 by Epic, so here's a mouthful of updates to come:

Editor:
- Added to editor texture browser a right click option to compress/decompress textures and to add/remove mipmaps.
- Fixed StaticMesh simple collision model creator properly handle correctly different coordinate spaces between the mesh and builder brush.
- Made LevelInfo.TimeSeconds never save from editor to avoid unneccessary space wasted.
- Fixed editor to reset Runaway loop counter every frame so it wont eventually always fail to run UScript code in Editor.
- Fixed editor to properly handle certain Canvas functions in render callbacks (i.e: WorldToScreen, DrawBox).
- Improved add actor ontop of a mesh actor tool.
- Improved visuals for editor path network render
- Added right click option for builder brush to transform current shape into a dynamic zone (and added brush shape as an option for dynamic zone shape).
- Made ed mesh browser 'show bones' tool also draw bounding sphere and bounds for vertex meshes. Made 'show bone names' tool show vertex numbers for vert meshes (to help mod devs find vert indices).
Engine:
- Added base IPv6 support.
- Added multi-threading support for memory allocator and log writer.
- Fixed a memory leak when accessing destroyed actors string values.
- Heavily improved skeletal mesh functions (and added option to specify transformation spaces with bone modifier functions). Also including support to use multiple animation sets per actor.
UnrealScript:
- Added support for 'skip' parameters to regular native functions (not just operators second parameter).
- Made "replace to" parm in "ReplaceStr" skippable, meaning it wont get evaluated if there are no replacements found.
- Fixed ternary operators ( ? : ) to support l-values (and fixed a compiler bug with them).
- Added "typecast" compiler keyword (can be used to hard cast any value to any type), for example: int i = typecast(Class) will grab pointer value of 'Class'. Using this feture is compatible with any Unreal version.
- Added struct constructor function: plane p = construct(2,0,1,0) or plane p = construct(X=2,Z=1) (both methods works), which is faster then manually assigning each struct value in script but slower then using vect or rot constants.
- Fixed FindObject so that if searched object contains a dot in the name, it will seek for it as a full object name instead of any object with matching name.
- Added Actor.FindSpot native function that seeks for empty space for a box extent space (same way as bCollideWhenPlacing works).
- Improved Engine FindSpot to find free spot better and more efficiently.
- Fixed PointCheck to only check at blocking actors.
- Added Actor.bNetInitialRotation to make server network Actor rotation along with initial spawn information.
- Added function Actor.OnDrawActor to be called if bCustomDrawActor is true.
- Added function Actor.ReplicationEnded to notify when a bNoDelete actor channel has been closed (Actor.PostNetBeginPlay will be called when re-opened again).
- Fixed Actor.PostNetBeginPlay not getting called on bStatic or bNoDelete actors.
- Changed 'if' conditions to compile as coerce parms to easily allow cast them into bool comparisions.
- Changed bool operators to also take coerce parameters.
- Fixed a compiler bug where when it would compile a sub expression it would automatically truncate float into int, as example: int i = (1.f/10.f)*100.f would compile as int(int(1.f/10.f)*100.f), thus resulting in value 0.
- Fixed ConsoleCommands to properly handle multi-parameter exec functions, if using multiple string parameters then they will be split by spaces, unless they are enclosed with quotation marks or apostrophes.
- Made return value from exec function return to ConsoleCommand output.
- Made if first parameter of exec function is "PlayerPawn Caller", then that will be set to the PlayerPawn executing the command (or None if ran on any other Actor).
- Made ExecFunctionStr work same way as ConsoleCommand with parameters.
- Added functions to LevelInfo: static native final function PlayerPawn GetLocalPlayerPawn() / static native final function LevelInfo GetLevelInfo() - To easily find active PlayerPawn and Level in the game.
- Added variables to LevelInfo: RealTimeSeconds (actual TimeSeconds unmodified by TimeDilation), NetTimeSeconds (network synced between server and client TimeSeconds, only for 227j clients and when LevelInfo.bNetworkTimeSeconds is true), LastDeltaTime (current frame DeltaTime), LastRealDeltaTime (current frame DeltaTime unmodified by TimeDilation).
- Added Actor.bTickRealTime to allow Actor tick by real DeltaTime unmodified by TimeDilation.
- Fixed Texture trace to support trace with collision extent.
- Added function Pawn.WalkTextureChange which is called if LevelInfo.bCheckWalkSurfaces is true.
- Removed redundant functions Actor.SpawnAct and Actor.NativeExec.
- Added parms to Actor.Spawn: SpawnInstigator/SpawnTemplate/bNoCollisionFail from prevous SpawnAct function.
- Added new parm to Actor.SetTimer: CallbackObject: To call the timer function on any external object.
- Made defaultproperties importer detect if same variable is imported multiple times (and throw compiler warnings).
- Added feature to allow defaultproperties with numeric values contain math evaluations in them, ex: Health=Nali.Health*2 or SomeFlag=(1 - Added support for simple preprocessed maths in script code (encompassed with {}), as example: Health+={Nali.Health/2}, which will compile as Health+=20;
- Changed GameRules.ModifyThreat to take third parm as enum instead of byte.
- Added Actor.RenderPass to set manual render order.
- Made ScriptCompiler avoid saving references to super function unless you explicitly call Super in your code.
- Added a new parm to Canvas.SetTile3DOffset, bWorldOffset, to allow easily draw canvas stuff anywhere in world space.
- Added variables Canvas.Mirror (to detect if current draw is inside mirror reflection) and Canvas.Recursion (to detect portal depth of current canvas call).
- Added new parm to Canvas.DrawTile, vector WorldPosition, to make it draw the tile as a sprite in level.
Optimizations:
- Optimized Real crouching code.
- Optimized serverside networking code.
- Made vectors better compressed over network between 227j+ clients only.
- Made all meshes animations lookup use a mapped hash value instead of an array lookup for a huge performance boost in animation lookup code.
- Made Actor shadows use multi-threading for rendering it.
- Optimized and improved dynamic zones.
- Added a projector feature (Projector.bBuildStaticMap) to make it generate pre-rendered model for BSP and bStatic StaticMeshes for a huge performance boost with MapProjectors.
New in-game features:
- Added flag to level info for SupportsCrouchJumping, which will enable crouch-jumping.
- Added FAKELAG consolecommand for server to fabricate lag (for debugging).
- Made HTTP downloading clients notify server of their download progress (for UnrealScript to catch serverside).
- Fixed LevelInfo.bCheckWalkSurfaces to work. It will make Texture.Friction scale Pawns walking friction (if you use Friction 10, it will function as a ladder texture, similar to Half-Life).
Bug fixes:
- Fixed server to remember what variables has been networked when a bNoDelete actor becomes network irrelevant and then relevant again.
- Fixed a security flaw with networking which clients could abuse to leak memory on server.
- Fixed a division by zero error with BigRock.
- Improved stability with decals and projectors on save/load games.
- Fixed a bug with TcpLink and UdpLink which would make it shut down socket twice upon destroy (thus throwing a windows warning).
- Fixed SunlightCoronas from shining through static meshes (and optimized it).
- Fixed weather emitter particles to also hit static meshes.
Last edited by .:..: on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

- Removed redundant functions Actor.SpawnAct and Actor.NativeExec.
Good luck fixing mods that use these funcs already...
- Changed GameRules.ModifyThreat to take third parm as enum instead of byte.
How do you ensure that GameRules.uc is parsed after Pawn.uc (which defines EAttitude)? Have you fixed the DependsOn class specifier?
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Nice, great job for alot of these new editor features and such (too many to note). Thanks for the notification also, .:..: .
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
OldUnreal Member

Good luck fixing mods that use these funcs already...
Well thats least of the problems.
How do you ensure that GameRules.uc is parsed after Pawn.uc (which defines EAttitude)? Have you fixed the DependsOn class specifier?
No, someone had beat me to it, but it's indeed working now.
(ಠ_ಠ)
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

- Added right click option for builder brush to transform current shape into a dynamic zone (and added brush shape as an option for dynamic zone shape).
Thank you dots this will help us level designers a lot! Simply amazing!
OldUnreal Member

More updates (needs more testing)...

Engine:
- Added delta compression for saved games, also made saved games files contain save information along with a screenshot preview to show on load game menu.
- Changed all objects created in-game use their class name as object name instead of unique numbered names (to conserve memory).
- Made object allocator never try to replace object with same name but different class (to fix Can't replace A with B crash).
- Changed order of code in DestroyActor code by setting bDeleteMe first before any cleanup code, to ensure no physics values are set on UnrealScript exit events, thus crashing later with GC/physics.
Game:
- Made pawns network their location relative to their mover base (only between 227j clients and servers).
- Made heavy pawns that crush smaller pawns not bounce off the small pawn, but instead fall through (only if it gibs the victim).
- Made save game menu support unlimited slots.
UnrealScript:
- Added Actor.CollisionGroups and Actor.CollisionFlag which can be used to let modders set custom collision rules.
- Added function bool Actor.IsBlockedBy( Actor Other ) to check if another actor can block that actor.
- Added Pawn.bShovePawns (and Pawn.ShoveCollisionRadius to specify internal radius) which if enabled, allows pawns to push back other pawns (kinda like Team Fortress style) depending on their mass differences.
- Added function GameInfo.AllSavedGames to grab a list of all savegame slots used along with their information.
- Exposed Object ObjectIndex to unrealscript and added function Object.FindObjectIndex to find an object by its index.
- Changed Object.FindObject return in same metaclass type as specified in first parm, same way as 'Spawn'.
Editor:
- Improved editor map rebuilder progress bar be more detailed.
- Enabled map builder progress bar 'Cancel' button to abort building.
- Added multi-threading support for BSP partitioning and light raytracing.
- Fixed editor not drawing icons on ortho viewports in Direct3D and OpenGL.
- Fixed an issue which made it impossible to assign to properties any objects with weird names (such as GenFX.Flarel~6).
Render:
- Optimized mesh/lodmesh/skeletalmesh render (by precaching surface normals and simplifying some operations).
- Fixed Software render to draw projectors and trail emitters.
- Changed Software render to draw alpha blended textures as masked (masking invisible parts).
- Slightly optimized decals and projectors render code.
Last edited by .:..: on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
(ಠ_ಠ)
OldUnreal Member

Shorter list but still:
Render:
- Fixed Sprite/Mesh emitters sprite animation mode to function correctly (loop/play once/reverse animation).
- Heavily optimized lighting render, also fixed static meshes (or any other bShadowCast actors) to cast shadows over dynamic actors.
- Added PortalModifier object which can be assigned to Texture (to be applied when drawing portal through it), ZoneInfo (to be applied when camera is inside it), or PlayerPawn (for mod override), which can be used to replace several rendering factors, such as disable lighting/fog/modify distance fog or replace textures etc. (see Object > PortalModifier).
- Fixed Direct3D9 flickering with BSP and distance fog.
UnrealScript:
- Added UnrealScript function hooks, to redirect function calls/override code (check out Object > ScriptHook).
- Added event AppShutdown() to notify ALL objects when game is about to exit (not crash).
Server:
- Fixed UCC.exe Server commandlet to accept command input.
Editor:
- Fixed a bug when where selecting movers in some old maps warps them to different location (i.e: Trench).
- Added right-click option to replace actor while keeping same modifier properties.
- Altered BSP rebuilder to bake lights to zone leafs only to visible leafs, not based on distance alone (optimizes render and improves map performance in-game).
(ಠ_ಠ)
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Good stuff!

Are path networks fixed yet? Me and Krullor noticed that Path networks were not fully working in j42. If a pawn was given an order that was too far away, the pawn would simply 'give up' navigating to the order, despite having a comfortable path network between them and the order.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Are path networks fixed yet? Me and Krullor noticed that Path networks were not fully working in j42. If a pawn was given an order that was too far away, the pawn would simply 'give up' navigating to the order, despite having a comfortable path network between them and the order.
I havent heard of it either way, but can you construct a simple test case map that can showcase the issue? better chance of it getting fixed sooner/easier that way.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Sorry for the late reply.

Hmm yeah probably i have a map that i was working on which suffers from the problem.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pd3yhp3q ... ec.7z/file

As for the Kismet package which this map uses, i'm unsure whether i can share that or not, or also whether it's actually needed. Mainly the issue would be version mismatches; if the Kismet tool becomes updated at some point, it may cause some issues with peoples maps if they decide to download it from here and use it.

Hopefully I've included all the necessary files, if not let me know.

Krullor also mentioned he was having the same problem a while ago, maybe this is something which has been fixed recently though.
Last edited by Kajgue on Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Is it obvious to find the problem in this map? Just got the PM and all that about it.
OldUnreal Member

UnrealScript:
- Added support for map properties (map MapValue) aswell as accessors to it:
out typeB MapValue[typeA] - Simple read value by key value, creates new key if not found.
bool MapValue.Has(typeA, optional out typeB) - Check if has (and optional grab key value).
bool MapValue.Remove(typeA) - Remove a key from the map.
MapValue.Empty() - Empty map.
- Added dynamic array call macros (it will compile as Array_Size/Array_Insert/Array_Remove calls):
int Array.Size() - Grab array size.
int Array.SetSize(new size) - Change array size and return new array size.
int Array.Empty() - Empty array and return new array size.
bool Array.Insert(index,count) - Insert new entires at offset of array (return true if succeed).
bool Array.Remove(index,count) - Remove entires at offset of array (return true if succeed).
- Added Map and Dynamic array iterators: foreach Map(out typeA, out typeB) or foreach Array(out valuetype).
- Fixed script compiler to prevent modifing constant dynamic arrays.
- Made Object.GetParentClass a static function and parameter to be optional (if parameter is not set it will return current class parent).
- Changed Object.GetDefaultObject return in same metaclass type as input class parm (same way as Actor.Spawn does).
- Added 'SizeOf(Object class)' compiler directive to return bytes of size of an object class.
- Added support for declaring 'private' functions.
- Added Object > LogHandler object to allow UScript to sniff and block log lines.
Editor:
- Made editor save viewport coordinates with the maps.
Last edited by .:..: on Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(ಠ_ಠ)
OldUnreal Member

UnrealScript:
- Added a vector2d definition (for canvas drawings).
- Corrected some script warning log types to be actually ScriptWarning instead of Warning or Error.
- Added functions to canvas for free polygon drawing, draw rotated textures and to push or remove custom clipping planes.
- Fixed a ScriptWarning with Counter and counter messages if there is no Event Instigator.
- Added variable Pawn/WalkingPct which will control walking speed of players.
Engine:
- Fixed StatLogFile and TimeDemo objects to properly flush and close log file if object is destroyed (level change garbage collector or game exit).
- Made engine fill out Touching array in inverse order and sort pawns to be last (legacy code support, Zora's ZM3WaterLab cannon).
Render:
- Added support for hardware clipping planes to D3D9 and OpenGL.
- Made mesh wireframe color to match ActorRenderColor (if non-zero) in game.
Gameplay:
- Added option to LevelInfo/bEnhancedIcePhysics, that will fix walking speed on ice.
- Fixed playerpawn viewbob to cap view bobbing if player is moving at very high speeds.
- Fixed ZoneVelocity behave like in Unreal v 230+ versions, with an exception if ZoneVelocity.Z is non-zero it will null out zone gravity (legacy map support, Zora's ZM3WaterBridge lava jump).
(ಠ_ಠ)

Return to “Unreal 227”