For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Can Smirf just admit 227j is abandoned already?

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
K-Bone
OldUnreal Member

Can Smirf just admit 227j is abandoned already?

Post by K-Bone »

At this point it's obvious 227j is never coming out. Just admit it that 227i is the last patch. And honestly, I can't be the only one that feels this way.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha were you saying something?
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Re: Can Smirf just admit 227j is abandoned already?

Post by lowenz »

At this point it's obvious 227j is never coming out. Just admit it that 227i is the last patch. And honestly, I can't be the only one that feels this way.
-> https://github.com/OldUnreal/Unreal-testing (if you have access)
Last edited by lowenz on Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees - E.S.
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

Post by Stead-Z »

If the guy had access to the 227j patch, they wouldn't have made this thread would they - not the most helpful response eh ::)

@K-Bone, 227j is still being actively worked on, if you look at the thread prior to this one in the 227 forum you would see this ("227 New Commands and Functions"). You do make a good point however, and I have been wondering for a while if it wouldn't be best at this stage to put j into an "open-beta" state seeing as half the community already is either an *official* beta tester or has otherwise aquired some version of the patch through other sources.#

Just my thoughts though.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

"abandoned"
Pitbull
Administrator

Post by Pitbull »

"abandoned"
I see what you did there. If I got your point as intended, well nice.

Last edited by Pitbull on Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Upon this rock I will build my church O:-)

LOADING HATERS..████████████] 99% Complete.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I realize that it may seem like that, but it is definitely not.

The simple truth is that my health and time is very limited and I also have to take care for other things in my life like family, kids, work and it became even more exhausting now with corona.
All this just only means that it takes more time than wanted or expected.

But since a few months I am not working alone anymore, the 227 team got one more main developer and the UT469 team also helps whenever needed. There has been more progress in the last months than in the complete 2 years before.
Perhaps I should have released 227j already before, we had one very stable version which would have qualified, but then many things happened as mentioned and I didn't take this opportunity.
Now many improvements and yet more fixes came in, we have again a working Linux ARM port, a 64bit version, a lot of new UED fixes and features, and I am already quite happy with the new build, fixing the remaining things one by one.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

doing a great job S!!! GO S!!! :D
ividyon
OldUnreal Member

Post by ividyon »

Troll OP aside, it is kind of regrettable that there's a gap of 8+ years between i and j, so far. While I have utmost understanding for health issues and delays due to lack of time or motivation (I am guilty of them in plenty of occasions), my understanding from occasionally browsing the forums has been that 227j has contained a cornucopia of features and fixes for many years, now, but keeps being pushed back to add *even* more. There is a crazy gap between the features of i and j, which makes me think that they could have been released more incrementally over time. 227j looks to me more like what an 227n patch might've looked like.

Just one example is the recent addition of the 64-bit build, which sounds like a ludicrously big feature that might well have been contained in its own patch version. Instead, it is now yet another roadblock for a 227j release.

It might be that this shallow understanding from occasional forum lurking is misinformed, though.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

bunch of stuff
yes, pretty much. the only real problem was that as smirf said there's really only been one revision of 227j that was ever stable enough to call a release. I've had to revert my server back many times because it's not stable. there certainly are enough features to have justified several releases, but only one point in time where it was stable -- but it is getting better especially because we have dots with an NDA now.

fwiw the 64bit build was made primarily because many linux distros no longer have multilib and can't run 32bit applications at all or have significant problems (Steam for example). it is a significant feature for windows, but it's necessary for many linux distros.

even ubuntu was going to stop shipping 32bit libs but they backpedaled.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

what I can say is and that's no lie, I never delayed because of features, only because there was always something to fix.
And yeah, looking from that perspective I really understand, 8 years is way to long, it just never felt that way. Something here, something there, another issue which requires investigation and time to work me into it and hundreds of thousands lines of code in which I have to read me again and again to find a fix for a specific issue, some private issue in between, *zapp* another half year gone.
Not alone anymore things are different, and progress is being made :)
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

8 years is way to long
UNREALLY long, so it's just right :D
The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees - E.S.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

I'm surprised nobody took into account the fact that OldU is taking official care of another game as well.

v227j should come when the game's stable enough.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

There's a handful of people who have consistently (and patiently) answered, supported, and cared for the community for many years. They know there is no reward for this yet they keep working on. It's altruism at it's finest.

Smirf (et al) doesn't owe anyone a patch, an update, this site, or any of the countless private replies he gives to endless questions. He gives what time he can afford and his schedule allows. Castigating him like that is just tasteless OP.

It's so easy to forget that people have real lives and real responsibilities. It's also easy to focus on what you personally want at the exclusion of the cost to others.

I'm not ashamed to be Team Smirf (and Team Casey too, he's another deserving of respect). If the update needs to bake for 2 more years then it's ready when it's ready because I trust in the process and understand the work involved.

Thank you guys for your work.

I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Please do release 227j_42 as 227j to the public and move the rest of the builds to 227k betatesting.

227j_42 has been running stable at my servers for ages, but the recent test build brought new issues.
Last edited by Hyper on Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
[UDHQ]Jackrabbit
OldUnreal Member

Post by [UDHQ]Jackrabbit »

Please do release 227j_42 as 227j to the public and move the rest of the builds to 227k betatesting.

227j_42 has been running stable at my servers for ages, but the recent test build brought new issues.
What features deem your server more stable than 227i running that version? From what i've seen from .:..:'s hes been recently tweaking the skeletal anim features which would make portability from other game engines and creation engines like Blender more compatible for Unreal. Waiting 8 years to see this kind of compatibility is well worth it imo as it really does have the potential to become a test bed game engine like UE4 but more lightweight.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

What features deem your server more stable than 227i running that version?  From what i've seen from .:..:'s hes been recently tweaking the skeletal anim features which would make portability from other game engines and creation engines like Blender more compatible for Unreal.  Waiting 8 years to see this kind of compatibility is well worth it imo as it really does have the potential to become a test bed game engine like UE4 but more lightweight.
227j_42 beta has been running many months at my servers with no crash. To me, as server owner, that is quality.
Last edited by Hyper on Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Pitbull
Administrator

Post by Pitbull »

I'm running some version in between on linux. 64 bit. Been running stable for quite awhile. It's best to wait for a new release though at this point. It will happen
Upon this rock I will build my church O:-)

LOADING HATERS..████████████] 99% Complete.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Should have heard to you back then already, but now to release j42 doesn't make much sense anymore either I think, to many things have been fixed/changed/tweaked by now- but it isn't that all the fixes we've made in and for j42 have been lost or something, the new version will be equally stable :)
For current build almost all bugs are now resolved already and I still have to do all the "paperwork" like release notes and such. Perhaps I can find someone helping me with that...
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Should have heard to you back then already, but now to release j42 doesn't make much sense anymore either I think, to many things have been fixed/changed/tweaked by now- but it isn't that all the fixes we've made in and for j42 have been lost or something, the new version will be equally stable :)
For current build almost all bugs are now resolved already and I still have to do all the "paperwork" like release notes and such. Perhaps I can find someone helping me with that...
Awesome to hear!
The latest version of the fixed .int/.est files is already uploaded.

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
schotty
OldUnreal Member

Post by schotty »

. Perhaps I can find someone helping me with that...
What kind of slave work? I am usually up for some fun :P
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

What kind of slave work?  I am usually up for some fun :P
wohooo, I never thought that I'd live to see this!

Well, there are 2 things- updating the release notes mostly from forum content here in https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1202460562 and https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1352755975
(could be done either in a textdocument or directly in the wiki)

and depending if you are somewhat into html, the webadmin really needs a new interface.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

What kind of slave work?  I am usually up for some fun :P
wohooo, I never thought that I'd live to see this!

Well, there are 2 things- updating the release notes mostly from forum content here in https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1202460562 and https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1352755975

and depending if you are somewhat into html, the webadmin really needs a new interface.
If nobody steps up to do this at the end of Sep 30, 2020 11:59 AM GMT-3, I'm willing to do the release notes.
Last edited by Neon_Knight on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schotty
OldUnreal Member

Post by schotty »

OK I can get my ass in gear and collate the data.  I presume its all the data? Or shall I start from a certain date? Looking at the start date its all.

AS for HTML -- you do NOT want me to do it :P  In fact my website is Markdown -> Html  using some other guys theme since I couldn't be bothered to write the css myself (I am not an aritst, I will make your eyes bleed or ears, or both).
Last edited by schotty on Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

OK I can get my ass in gear and collate the data.  I presume its all the data?  Or shall I start from a certain date?  Looking at the start date its all.
It should be all yes- maybe something is in the development section yet, but I'd say all important stuff is in there.
AS for HTML -- you do NOT want me to do it :P  In fact my website is Markdown -> Html  using some other guys theme since I couldn't be bothered to write the css myself (I am not an aritst, I will make your eyes bleed or ears, or both).
lol, all fine, someone else volunteered the morning ;)
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Sorry for the double post. There are things that need to be sorted, but it's mostly done.

https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... 227j_Notes

Return to “Unreal 227”