For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Thx for helping me in this project

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Re: Thx for helping me in this project

Post by Masterkent »

Bugs and glitches detected include:
- DmAriza (botplay, still trying to fix this, at least they go for the Flak Cannon now -ToDo: Shield Belt and Invisibility-)
- DmAthena (bots won't go for the Shield Belt, the Fruits or the Flak Cannon at the Lava Lake, nor the Cloaking Device or the Stinger at the Secret Chamber; solved the former, still problems with the latter)
To my knowledge, 227 patch did not and does not pursue the goal of fixing the stock maps (except for a couple of places).

There are several mods that fix standard maps for cooperative game, but I'm not aware of any mods that would fix DM maps, except my own UGoldFix which fills some deadly BSP holes on DmAriza and DmDeck16. I didn't pay attention to issues with bots, because I didn't find playing with them interesting anyway. Besides, I didn't know that it's possible to add new paths for AI without modifying the map package, but now I see that 227 allows to add missing PathNodes and connect them with other NavigationPoints using UScript only - hence, the fix can be implemented just by adding a few lines of code to a mutator.
Last edited by Masterkent on Mon May 07, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Bugs and glitches detected include:
- DmAriza (botplay, still trying to fix this, at least they go for the Flak Cannon now -ToDo: Shield Belt and Invisibility-)
- DmAthena (bots won't go for the Shield Belt, the Fruits or the Flak Cannon at the Lava Lake, nor the Cloaking Device or the Stinger at the Secret Chamber; solved the former, still problems with the latter)
To my knowledge, 227 patch did not and does not pursue the goal of fixing the stock maps (except for a couple of places).

There are several mods that fix standard maps for cooperative game, but I'm not aware of any mods that would fix DM maps, except my own UGoldFix which fills some deadly BSP holes on DmAriza and DmDeck16. I didn't pay attention to issues with bots, because I didn't find playing with them interesting anyway. Besides, I didn't know that it's possible to add new paths for AI without modifying the map package, but now I see that 227 allows to add missing PathNodes and connect them with other NavigationPoints using UScript only - hence, the fix can be implemented just by adding a few lines of code to a mutator.
In Athena there was literally no path between the Lava pit items and the rest of the map, and the pathing was done in a very messy way (bots couldn't also reach the Cloaking Device at the secret area).

Well, the idea is to not to depend on external mods or fixes. Besides not everyone is interested on online play, so trying to make offline play better is a bonus for me.

(In the spanish translation "Botmatch" is translated as "Sesión de práctica", "Practice Session", as Unreal Tournament calls it, as that's what everyting involving botmatches boils down to. I've also considered UT2003/4's term, "Instant Action", "Acción Instantánea", but wasn't as clear as the UT99 term.)
Last edited by Neon_Knight on Mon May 07, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

Well, the idea is to not to depend on external mods or fixes. Besides not everyone is interested on online play, so trying to make offline play better is a bonus for me.
I don't know if any map fixes can be accepted for including in the patch, but the restriction that original map packages shall not be replaced with modified packages having the same names is still actual. So called "fixes" should not cause troubles (package mismatching errors) for those players who play online.
Last edited by Masterkent on Fri May 11, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Wolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dark Wolf »

I have not posted in ages on the forum but this Project is the biggest and best. Thank you for the hard work Smirftsch and for making it happen. Cheers and Kudos
I am the Alpha wolf the beast that slays the skaarj menace.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I have not posted in ages on the forum but this Project is the biggest and best. Thank you for the hard work Smirftsch and for making it happen. Cheers and Kudos
Arise... he... lives!

been a while
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

I don't know if I said this before, but with both Unreal v227 and UT v469, it's a HUGE honor to help with making these patches better with whatever tool I can contribute with. Keep up the good work, Smirf, Anth, Dots and the rest of the team!
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.

Return to “Unreal 227”