For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Detail textures on Static Meshes in D3D9/8 & OpenGL (227i)

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Detail textures on Static Meshes in D3D9/8 & OpenGL (227i)

Post by AlexNitro44 »

I have noticed that, by default, the D3D8, D3D9 and OpenGL renderers do not display detail textures on static meshes. Setting UseHardwareClipping to False in any of the above renderers result in the detail textures appearing, albeit with a performance impact.

Upon further investigation I have discovered the "classic" Direct3D and Glide renderers do display detail textures on static meshes. I'm not sure if this is a bug or limitation of the updated renderers, so I am posting this here in the hopes of clarity.

Below are some screenshots from a map I was making to practice using the terrain brush tool and how feasible it would be for a terrain to be a static mesh.

Classic D3D (sorry for poor gamma) - same result under Glide:

D3D9 with UseHardwareClipping False (same effect under D3D8 and OpenGL):

D3D9 with UseHardwareClipping True (the default, same effect under D3D8 and OpenGL):

The GPU in use in all above screenshots is the Intel HD Graphics 530.

I am posting this as this has a noticeable effect on visual quality in maps such as this that use the Static Mesh feature, and changing settings impacts performance. Is this a bug, or merely a limitation of these advanced renderers?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Detail textures on Static Meshes in D3D9/8 & OpenGL (227i)

Post by Smirftsch »

It's been a while, but iirc this was a limitation of UseHardwareClipping, which should be fixed already for next release (227j). Will check again.
I have to admit, that "UseHardwareClipping" is a bit misleading, it not only changes clipping behavior, it also batches draw calls to one bigger call, which results in the better performance for static meshes and therefor it left out also detail textures.

With the new XOpenGL renderer it is done entirely different then anyway and not hurting performance anymore.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Re: Detail textures on Static Meshes in D3D9/8 & OpenGL (227i)

Post by AlexNitro44 »

Thanks for the quick response. I just found it a little odd that it only happened in the new renderers. Glad to see that it will be addressed in the upcoming release.

Return to “Unreal 227”