For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[227j] Textures are set on fullbright no matter what renderer I select.

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
K-Bone
OldUnreal Member

[227j] Textures are set on fullbright no matter what renderer I select.

Post by K-Bone »

Since installing 227j I noticed that all the textures for some odd reason are rendered as if I was using Fullbright. Right now I'm using the Direct3D 9 renderer but XOpenGL, OpenGL and even Direct3D 8 all have the same issue. Even after generating new ini files and complete fresh installs the problem persists.

K-Bone
OldUnreal Member

Re: [227j] Textures are set on fullbright no matter what renderer I select.

Post by K-Bone »

ok, I see how it is, since i'm just gonna get ignored. Then can I just request from smirf or any admin on here to just ban me already?
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

K-Bone wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:20 am ok, I see how it is, since i'm just gonna get ignored. Then can I just request from smirf or any admin on here to just ban me already?
I find this a bit of a strange request. You don't get a reply in the time you prefer and now you request a ban? Are you taking it personally that your issue is not addressed yet? Well, I can't ban you as I'm no admin/mod here. But instead of a ban request I would just go to another website as a ban will not give you anything. Perhaps there are other communities that serve you quicker. Here are just a few hobbyist programmers working on this old game in their spare time.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

He was being sarcastic obviously, seeing no point in this.

But yea since a lot of stuff moved over to other places including bug reports, some more attention/checking of the forum threads should be done perhaps.

I also don't know why 227j suddenly requires more and more library dependancies that weren't there before even during testing, making me unable to run the final release under normal circumstances myself. More people have problem running this release correctly.

I suppose most of this will be adressed by 227k but still there are some concerns around and maybe someone should be on standby watching for more threads to pop up here when people report bugs so the stable 227k can be ready/even better.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:46 am I also don't know why 227j suddenly requires more and more library dependancies that weren't there before even during testing, making me unable to run the final release under normal circumstances myself. More people have problem running this release correctly.
Development evolves and there is no point in not using existing libraries to increase functionality, security, stability, efficency. We build all deps ourselfes to ensure there is no risk to bring in malware or ads, if possible we link the libs statically, depending on the licenses to keep the required amount of separate dll's needed low.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Smirftsch wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:49 am
Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:46 am I also don't know why 227j suddenly requires more and more library dependancies that weren't there before even during testing, making me unable to run the final release under normal circumstances myself. More people have problem running this release correctly.
Development evolves and there is no point in not using existing libraries to increase functionality, security, stability, efficency. We build all deps ourselfes to ensure there is no risk to bring in malware or ads, if possible we link the libs statically, depending on the licenses to keep the required amount of separate dll's needed low.
It does present a problem with older machines though for example where you can't just install the whole set of those libraries on the windows side anymore. I tried putting one version I had in the unreal install itself but it seemed to ignore it somehow.
Its just between those two versions, not even a year has passed and suddenly it (the final release) requires all that while it doesn't have much more features on itself (the version I speak about is already past the additions by dots like the kismet implementation and the overhaul of the editor). I just don't see why that was necessary when it worked without those libraries during testing.
-Hurrikan-
OldUnreal Member

Post by -Hurrikan- »

K-Bone wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:56 pm Since installing 227j I noticed that all the textures for some odd reason are rendered as if I was using Fullbright. Right now I'm using the Direct3D 9 renderer but XOpenGL, OpenGL and even Direct3D 8 all have the same issue. Even after generating new ini files and complete fresh installs the problem persists.
Can you please check if you have the two settings set to false?

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
NoLighting=False <--- my guess is your setting is true, set it to false

[XOpenGLDrv.XOpenGLRenderDevice]
UseHWLighting=False <--- I think this settings forces NoLightning set to true, don't enable it
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:46 am It does present a problem with older machines though for example where you can't just install the whole set of those libraries on the windows side anymore. I tried putting one version I had in the unreal install itself but it seemed to ignore it somehow.
Any lib needed should be provided within the patch already. If not, which one is missing?
Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:46 am Its just between those two versions, not even a year has passed and suddenly it (the final release) requires all that while it doesn't have much more features on itself (the version I speak about is already past the additions by dots like the kismet implementation and the overhaul of the editor). I just don't see why that was necessary when it worked without those libraries during testing.
Just because YOU didn't see or notice any of that it doesn't mean there haven't been related changes and good reasons.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

-Hurrikan- wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:18 pm [XOpenGLDrv.XOpenGLRenderDevice]
UseHWLighting=False <--- I think this settings forces NoLightning set to true, don't enable it
Yes, this is a really unfinished and more experimental setting. Should have removed it, it's far from usable.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Smirftsch wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:13 am
Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:46 am It does present a problem with older machines though for example where you can't just install the whole set of those libraries on the windows side anymore. I tried putting one version I had in the unreal install itself but it seemed to ignore it somehow.
Any lib needed should be provided within the patch already. If not, which one is missing?
I didn't use the installer (nothing against you in particular but on the old machine I don't use any installers whatsoever anymore), so I asked for the files someone separately, so its possible it was missing those somehow. But I did have a version of them lying around separately sadly it didn't work still. I can't remember which ones they were as I ended up removing the patch and reverting to one of the dev 227j versions.

Maybe if you can send me a pm with list of the dependancies I will tell you which ones they were. I am sure I will remember when I see the names in the list.
Smirftsch wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:13 am
Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:46 am Its just between those two versions, not even a year has passed and suddenly it (the final release) requires all that while it doesn't have much more features on itself (the version I speak about is already past the additions by dots like the kismet implementation and the overhaul of the editor). I just don't see why that was necessary when it worked without those libraries during testing.
Just because YOU didn't see or notice any of that it doesn't mean there haven't been related changes and good reasons.
I didn't say there weren't any changes just that it seems unnecesary to me and still don't understand why it was all built on those.

And good reasons is a subjective matter, as someone who doesn't know what the reasons exactly were I cannot judge that by myself.

Return to “Unreal 227”