For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Generating an .obj from Unreal meshes

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Generating an .obj from Unreal meshes

Post by gopostal »

Hey all, hope you guys are doing great :) I've been messing around with 3D printing for a while and last night I printed one of the towers from Face. I got to looking and realized that the interior is fully recreated. That means someone exported the mesh into a format that the printer can reproduce. Needless to say that got me excited....

My question concerns 227 editor. I seem to remember that it would export any of the meshes as .obj. Am I correct in that? I hope so because it's a simple hop from that to .stl file, which is printable. Could someone link me to the current build so I can install it if that wouldn't be too much trouble?

Thanks so much!
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Re: Generating an .obj from Unreal meshes

Post by BobIsUnreal »

for meshes, just use export obj frame in the mesh viewer , i think any version of J will work. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10395
results will depend alot of you printer and you will have alot of waste support material from the pawns.

for maps, intersect what you want first as a brush , then convert to static mesh, then export said static mesh.
Best to not include the ceiling or sky, ie just the building and ground etc wastefull printing etc

this is about what you can expect on a beaten up upgraded ender3

gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Re: Generating an .obj from Unreal meshes

Post by gopostal »

It's nice to hear it from "old reliable Bob" lol. I'm also using an Ender but got this without a lot of fuss:
https://postimg.cc/XGzvZ85W

It still needs a cleanup and a base trim but this was a test print before I make a larger version. I should have known you'd be ahead of my curve on this stuff haha. Thanks for the advice on how to import the models to gcode. For a very long time I've wanted to make a diorama of the crash scene where 849 leaves the ship. I know the UT community does a lot of papercraft but that's not really what I'd like to do. I've always wanted to make a true-to-game "shoebox" sized replica of that immediate area.

Bob as a side note I pretty much dropped off everything social media. I deleted my FB and I don't have any of the chat apps installed. Do you still have my cell? I'd love to chat with you about this stuff in depth, i just don't spend a ton of time in front of a computer any more.

BTW forgot to add that you should use tree support in your slicer for the odd models like standing monsters. Way less material used.

Return to “Unreal 227”