For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Are there any future plans for a Total Conversion in Unreal?

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
[UDHQ]Jackrabbit
OldUnreal Member

Are there any future plans for a Total Conversion in Unreal?

Post by [UDHQ]Jackrabbit »

With all the new features planned for 227k, I was wondering if anyone was currently working on a TC in 227j.

Thanks 😊
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Re: Are there any future plans for a Total Conversion in Unreal?

Post by makemeunreal »

Yea. Check The One out by Turboman.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

I don't think that's a proper answer to begin with.

As impressive as The One is (and it is by far the most impressive work for Unreal in years!) it does not answer Jackrabbit's question. A Total Conversion would use very little (next to zero) resources of the Unreal game, The One as opposed to that concept is very firmly based in Unreal. It's more in lines of an expansion pack. Examples of Total Conversions for Unreal and Unreal Tournament include: Panic 2 from Atomic Pop, Infiltration or Thievery.

At this point I am unsure if anyone is currently tackling such a project, let alone for 227j or the upcoming 227k to begin with.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yes, while "The One" might have a lot of new features and complete overhauls, it is not a total conversion because it still uses mostly the same textures/actors etc from Unreal. There is also the term Partial Conversion for some mods. I'd argue that the Unreal version of Infiltration is more like a PC while the UT version is an actual TC.
[UDHQ]Jackrabbit
OldUnreal Member

Post by [UDHQ]Jackrabbit »

I was referring to something like Killing Floor ported to 227, I saw a WIP project once like that someone was doing. "The One" looks like quite the experience at least I can get back to the good ol' days with that one.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:34 pm I was referring to something like Killing Floor ported to 227, I saw a WIP project once like that someone was doing. "The One" looks like quite the experience at least I can get back to the good ol' days with that one.
That's funny you say that because there used to be a commercial TC/Addon for Unreal back in the day which got cancelled, but it was going to be kind of like killing floor or left for dead but with a heavy single player story kind of like resident evil, but different. Unfortunately, most of the info came via gaming magazines and wayback machine and the project lead was too "traumatized" to even consider sharing it nor more details about the whole thing. It was still going to be pretty much Unreal but with all new weapons or mostly all new weapons and some improvements like body looting, interactive puzzles and the sorts (which got taken over by steele dawn indevelopement, too as the project shared a few people). Ironically it was the first outside of Epic expansion for Unreal to be developed, originally even advertised as an expansion pack before being known as fully TC and changing/looking for a different publisher. Originally it was GTi/Wizardworks.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

killing floor is a interesting cited example,
if you weren't concerned with making things work "naturally"
i actually imported 2 or 3 maps from that game into 227i,
and there are a whole pack of kfchristmas monsters ( and half not finished circus variants) that currently exist for 227i as well.
also i think i have like a crap ton of imported static assests from packs that i needed to make those few maps work.
Blu3Haz3
OldUnreal Member

Post by Blu3Haz3 »

I always liked Infiltration in UT99, probably on par with Killing Floor as far as TC's go.

Return to “Unreal 227”