For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Manual installation of patch 227

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
esqo

Manual installation of patch 227

Post by esqo »

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and I have a bit of an unusual question.

Does anyone know if the Unreal 227 (i or j) patch installer is just an unpacker? Ie, does it just unpack it's files and place them in the appropriate Unreal folders, replacing files where necessary? If that's the case, does anyone have instructions for what files go where in the Unreal folders so I can manually "install" it?

If the installer does anything more complicated then I guess it's back to the drawing board. Alternatively, is there a version of the patch that can be just moved into the Unreal folders?

I ask because I'm running Unreal Gold on Steam for Linux via Proton and it's not possible as far as I know to install it against that version. I know I could and maybe should be installing the native Linux version, but I wondered if there was an easy solution to my specific problem.

Thanks.

esqo
BlumpkinKing

Re: Manual installation of patch 227

Post by BlumpkinKing »

Is there a reason you can't just point the installer towards your Unreal installation?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

It's legally required to be bundled with the installer from this website. If you end up extracting it or installing it elsewhere and manually copy pasting on your own that's on you.

There are ways to run applications from within your proton/wine prefix that I won't get into here because I am not an expert on proton.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Just run the installer using Wine and point it to your installation. It does basically just extract the files but it does this with the correct folder structure so all files end up where they should be.

I do recommend using the Linux native version however as my experience with running the game in wine or proton hasn't been the best.

Note that the installer doesn't support symoblic links due to being designed for Windows file systems so you will have to recreate those if you are going the Linux Native route. If you can't figure this out just give the word and I will prepare a zip file with the necessary files.
rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Post by rdy2bz »

So what do I do when I don't use wine? (and refuse installing it because it depends on so i386 libs that will eventually stop being supported by Ubuntu). I just need the native version, it's kind of complicated that the patch is just distributed as an exe.

What are the legal restrictions? 227i was distributed as zip, what's different with 227j? The preview versions were also shipped as zip to the internal beta testers.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

What you do is use google to solve your problem

https://github.com/caverym/Proton-Caller/

this is the last post I will make on this thread.
rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Post by rdy2bz »

Did I offend you or something?

I just wonder why the preview versions came without the installer but the official seem to need one. I plain don't understand why this complication for the end user is needed, that's all.
esqo

Post by esqo »

Hi All.

Wow, I came back after a day and had 6 replies waiting for me! What a great community for such an old (but awesome) game!

@BlumpkinKing & @Skywolf: My limited understanding is Wine and Proton create self-contained "bottles" or instances of Windows C: drives, so running the patch in Wine won't work as it won't be able to see this other (Proton) C: drive that Unreal is installed under.

@[]KAOS[]Casey, your Googling skills are better than mine! That Proton-caller looks on the surface to be exactly what I'm looking for, as long as I can run the patch exe within the Unreal instance/prefix. I'll do some digging but thanks for the link.

I'm also listening to you all and realising that, yes I probably should just be running the native Linux version. The awesome folks at OldUnreal have created it and being a Linux user it makes the most sense.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. Thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate it.

esqo
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

esqo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:51 pm I wondered if there was an easy solution
Indeed.
esqo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:51 pm installing the native Linux version
esqo

Post by esqo »

@tlk thumbsup

I guess it's just the IT guy in me wanting to solve the puzzle. Also it would be good to know how to do it for the future. I play a lot of old classic games and often need to install a community patch. Native Linux versions aren't always an option.

I'm trying my best to wean myself off Windows and not dual boot (another challenge I can't resist). Proton has been a godsend, but you're right, where there is a native Linux version I should be going for that.
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

esqo wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:04 pm I guess it's just the IT guy in me wanting to solve the puzzle.
set about trying to play the old Loki ports (not so fortunate to have such a great alternative as Unreal/UT here)... Plenty of puzzles to solve. No need to dabble with windoze/wine.. meh.

Return to “Unreal 227”