For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

UnrealIntegrity: Isn't the cure worse than the disease?

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

UnrealIntegrity: Isn't the cure worse than the disease?

Post by Hyper »

It seems that the UnrealIntegrity function makes it impossible to join quite some of the Unreal servers. At lease when you have the 227j release patch installed. My question is: Isn't the cure worse than the disease by now?

It's about this:
https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... dmin_tools

Testing to join most servers with 227j and the errors that I get

I was able to contact the owner of the Tom's Unreal Servers and he was so kind to turn it off on all his servers.

It does not seem like I can do anything on the client-side to fix it.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Re: UnrealIntegrity: Isn't the cure worse than the disease?

Post by BobIsUnreal »

it should not be a serverpackage/loaded into memory by default. should be a select able mutator that optionally adds in to be loaded.

its been a problem for a long time , but it is due primarily to misunderstanding.
many servers set "allow old clients", witch is a flag as you know to allow clients older then the servers current version.
With the beta version and pre release versions, many clients and server would be out of version sync, so almost all servers allow the "old" 227i clients( and should sort of*)

This can be fine if you dont use something existing in only that version,but every version of integrity is different.
If allow old clients is selected, integrityserver also MUST be removed from server packages, this is not done automatically by setting that flag.
that will continue to disallow (be mismatch after downloads) a user to join, just like you would if you downloaded a file that had unsupported engine functions that you old client dont know about.

*if you use compatible client-side mod content, as soon as the player side needs something it cant handle it becomes pointless,
however you kinda need to allow it anyway if your content is at least H+ compatible, because you dont know if they will run I or J. then 226 will get a simaler error.
** you can account for this sort of, by keeping you first serverpackage as a package that requires that build, so it kicks the old 226 users off early in the serverpackage download chain

tldr:
allowoldclients doesnt account for integrety server being running or in serverpackages by default, so the default instalation screws every other version anyway
joeydonbaker
OldUnreal Member

Re: UnrealIntegrity: Isn't the cure worse than the disease?

Post by joeydonbaker »

It seems that the majority of populated servers are coop anyway. I don't see a huge benefit in having it enabled in this case. It seems like it does more harm than good.

Return to “Unreal 227”