For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Semi public release of 227j

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Reborn
OldUnreal Member

Re: Semi public release of 227j

Post by Reborn »

Reborn wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:28 am 1) I selected "software rendering" in viewport menu
2) "procedure entry point ?OnCreateObjectNew@Uobject@@UEAAXPEAV1@@Z not found in Core.dll"
3) and next window - "Failed initializing renderer SoftDRV.SoftwareRenderDevice"
Unreal.exe and UnrealEd, only x64, only software rendering
(in x86 all working)
Maybe the reason is in the operating system.
Note: Windows 10 also has this glitch.
rick54321
OldUnreal Member

Post by rick54321 »

Decal.AttachDecal returns invalid texture and may crash the game if the texture is used.

Example:

Code: Select all

function PostBeginPlay()
{
    local Barrel;
    local Scorch;
    local Texture T;

S = Spawn(class'Scorch');
    T = S.AttachDecal(200);
    Log(T); // <Invalid GetPathName 00000001>
    S.Destroy();

B = Spawn(class'Barrel');
    B.Skin = T; // May crash.
}
Above case does not crash, though.

Some mods use that function to get level texture on explosion debris, apparently.
Blu3Haz3
OldUnreal Member

Post by Blu3Haz3 »

I'm gonna make this brief, but I thought I should point it out regardless if it is a personal bug in 227j. Apparently at least on my installation, Coop Game is not available in the menu in Single Player but only in Multiplayer. I assumed that it was on purpose, but I didn't think that seemed sensical so if there was an actual reason for that I am kind of curious to know why it was removed.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I have no idea, I mean coopgame in singleplayer/botmatch was at least good for people not knowing of the open command and such. Because coopgame behaves almost the same as sp outside of netplay you can't respawn in coop...
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Blu3Haz3 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:12 am I'm gonna make this brief, but I thought I should point it out regardless if it is a personal bug in 227j. Apparently at least on my installation, Coop Game is not available in the menu in Single Player but only in Multiplayer. I assumed that it was on purpose, but I didn't think that seemed sensical so if there was an actual reason for that I am kind of curious to know why it was removed.
Isn't Coop meant to be multiplayer-only? I never tried botmatch coop, TBH.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Neon_Knight wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:33 am
Blu3Haz3 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:12 am I'm gonna make this brief, but I thought I should point it out regardless if it is a personal bug in 227j. Apparently at least on my installation, Coop Game is not available in the menu in Single Player but only in Multiplayer. I assumed that it was on purpose, but I didn't think that seemed sensical so if there was an actual reason for that I am kind of curious to know why it was removed.
Isn't Coop meant to be multiplayer-only? I never tried botmatch coop, TBH.
It works but practically like singleplayer, I could suggest instead enabling the singleplayer game for any level selection to work as a way to "explore" levels for people not using open commands. Though the coopgame does give you a free translator...
rick54321
OldUnreal Member

Post by rick54321 »

Normalize function crash.

function PostBeginPlay()
{
    Log(Normalize(rot(10,10,10))); // No crash.
    Log(Normalize(rot(10,10,10)).Yaw); // Crash.
}

Critical: UObject::CallFunction
Critical: (NormalizeTest nyleve.NormalizeTest, Function Core.Object.Normalize)
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (NormalizeTest nyleve.NormalizeTest, Function normalizetest.NormalizeTest.PostBeginPlay)
Critical: ULevel::SpawnActor
Critical: (NormalizeTest)
Critical: (MaleTwo nyleve.MaleTwo, Function Engine.PlayerPawn.Summon)
Critical: (MaleTwo nyleve.MaleTwo, Function UnrealShare.UnrealIPlayer.Summon)
Critical: RunScriptFunction
Critical: (Function UnrealShare.UnrealIPlayer.Summon)
Critical: UObject::ScriptConsoleExec
Critical: (MaleTwo nyleve.MaleTwo)
Critical: UPlayer::Exec
Critical: UViewport::Exec
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Exec
Critical: (UnrealConsole Transient.UnrealConsole, Function Engine.Console.ConsoleCommand)
Critical: (UnrealConsole Transient.UnrealConsole, Function UWindow.WindowConsole.Typing.KeyEvent)
Critical: UEngine::InputEvent
Critical: UWindowsViewport::CauseInputEvent
Critical: WM_KEYDOWN
Critical: UWindowsViewport::ViewportWndProc
Critical: WWindow::StaticProc
Critical: (Message=WM_KEYDOWN)
Critical: Critical error in window message!
Exit: Shutdown multi-threading took 0.62 MS
Critical: Error reentered: Error on main thread
Blu3Haz3
OldUnreal Member

Post by Blu3Haz3 »

I only used it for two purposes, one was for modding that didn't have good network coding (mods only for sp), and probably some of the tickrate dependent coding in some old mods. I guess the only other reason I ever needed it was to navigate coop maps, as there are lots of them and also lots of custom maps. I think there is an INT file somewhere in System that allows you to add Gametypes to the Menu list, so it probably isn't that big of a hassle to fix until this is hotfixed in a future version.
THEtomaso
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEtomaso »

Anyone else noticed that the Brutes appears to suffer from some type of weird graphics glitch (flickering), under some circumstances?
It seems to be mostly noticable when they're corpses.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

THEtomaso wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:02 pm Anyone else noticed that the Brutes appears to suffer from some type of weird graphics glitch (flickering), under some circumstances?
It seems to be mostly noticable when they're corpses.
I haven't. Which renderer are you using?
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
THEtomaso
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEtomaso »

OpenGL
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Have you tried Direct3D9 or XOpenGL? These are usually the best renderers for modern hardware.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
THEtomaso
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEtomaso »

Actually, I don't think XOpenGL looks very good on my system.
Direct3D9 and OpenGL both looks good (and about equal).
The glitch seems to affect both of them though.
Piroska
OldUnreal Member

Post by Piroska »

What about Unreal Evolution? Can it be run with this new patch?
K-Bone
OldUnreal Member

Post by K-Bone »

Piroska wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:09 am What about Unreal Evolution? Can it be run with this new patch?
Should be able too, not sure how it's Stamina HUD element will handle the new HUD size options.
ividyon
OldUnreal Member

Post by ividyon »

Reborn wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:01 am
Reborn wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:28 am 1) I selected "software rendering" in viewport menu
2) "procedure entry point ?OnCreateObjectNew@Uobject@@UEAAXPEAV1@@Z not found in Core.dll"
3) and next window - "Failed initializing renderer SoftDRV.SoftwareRenderDevice"
(in x86 all working)
Software Rendering is not supported in x64. I believe this should be clear by it not being selectable, and this being written in the release notes. If neither is the case, that should be corrected, but Software Rendering is not available in 64-bit.
Piroska wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:09 am What about Unreal Evolution? Can it be run with this new patch?
Most likely not, since it is a hacky mess by a rookie developer who has directly touched and modified the game files rather than modding "on top of the game" like everybody else has been doing for decades. But you can try it out and see for yourself.
BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

I don't know if this has already been noticed. Going through "Select Game" in the video I just pressed to the right. It can be noticed that certain options are repeated (note the audio). It even has the option "Select Game: Game" which I don't know if it's right.

See the Video:

Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

ividyon wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:17 pm
Reborn wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:01 am
(in x86 all working)
Software Rendering is not supported in x64. I believe this should be clear by it not being selectable, and this being written in the release notes. If neither is the case, that should be corrected, but Software Rendering is not available in 64-bit.
I'll disable that for the moment.
ividyon wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:17 pm
Most likely not, since it is a hacky mess by a rookie developer who has directly touched and modified the game files rather than modding "on top of the game" like everybody else has been doing for decades. But you can try it out and see for yourself.
Agreed. Also, like the D3D11 dev, the UEvo dev also has a history of... bad reactions when he was told the errors he made.
Guess that's another thing to add to the FAQ. At this point we may even need a "Compatibility" section on the FAQ.
BIr4 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:45 pm I don't know if this has already been noticed. Going through "Select Game" in the video I just pressed to the right. It can be noticed that certain options are repeated (note the audio). It even has the option "Select Game: Game" which I don't know if it's right.

See the Video:

That's an error too, I'll see what can I do on my end.

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

I'd recommend staying completely away from Unreal Evolution on any version, or atleast having a separate install for it as Unreal Evolution is entirely destructive to your Unreal install. This was brought up to the author, and was even offered help to get the mod to not be as destructive (I don't think any other mod in the history of U1 modding has ever done it in this pointless/broken way) but instead started flaming other forum members for any criticism about the install process.

Links to the mod were also removed from this forum to prevent more destruction, as the mod kindof behaves like malware (doesn't mess up your pc afaik, but will definately butcher your installation).

This is not something unexpected though, as the mod author has another legacy of notoriety for similar things (and more) in the Deus Ex community.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
K-Bone
OldUnreal Member

Post by K-Bone »

Kajgue wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:19 pm
I'd recommend staying completely away from Unreal Evolution on any version, or atleast having a separate install for it as Unreal Evolution is entirely destructive to your Unreal install. This was brought up to the author, and was even offered help to get the mod to not be as destructive (I don't think any other mod in the history of U1 modding has ever done it in this pointless/broken way) but instead started flaming other forum members for any criticism about the install process.

Links to the mod were also removed from this forum to prevent more destruction, as the mod kindof behaves like malware (doesn't mess up your pc afaik, but will definately butcher your installation).

This is not something unexpected though, as the mod author has another legacy of notoriety for similar things (and more) in the Deus Ex community.
Which is sad because I prefer GMDX over Revision but the needlessly complicated way to install it without screwing up your Deus Ex install just baffles me.
Piroska
OldUnreal Member

Post by Piroska »

Wow, this whole affair with Unreal Evolution is news to me, I thought this mod was wildy popular.
To be honest, even though I've always been a huge fan of Unreal I'd never played the game modded until I stumbled upon UE on moddb, I hadn't touched the game for many years until then. No idea there was such controversy around it or the author :o
Hope Unreal Redux is not like that, I'm really looking forward to it.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Piroska wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:13 pm Wow, this whole affair with Unreal Evolution is news to me, I thought this mod was wildy popular.
To be honest, even though I've always been a huge fan of Unreal I'd never played the game modded until I stumbled upon UE on moddb, I hadn't touched the game for many years until then. No idea there was such controversy around it or the author :o
Hope Unreal Redux is not like that, I'm really looking forward to it.
Krull0r is one of the best, he's going to deliver an awesome and enjoyable product.

I, for one, can't wait for the playable version of UR.

Reborn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Reborn »

Screenshot (F9) not working in Unreal Classic menu.
Is this a bug or a feature?
randir14

Post by randir14 »

It doesn't work, I tried.
THEtomaso
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEtomaso »

Normally, mods are updated in order to be compatible with new game versions, not the other way around! :)

Return to “Unreal 227”