For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Semi public release of 227j

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Semi public release of 227j

Post by Leo T_C_K »

As far as I understood it, there's not going to be another release anymore, just will go straight into 228k instead. Er..227k lol. Wonder why it didn't get a number increase already though since the changes got so heavy lately.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

yes, my health wasn't the very best in between, so the "hotfix" release of 227k as big public official is not that "hot" anymore now...
But a lot of things have been fixed meanwhile even without me being very active and I am on it again for some time now too :)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

Smirftsch wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:53 am yes, my health wasn't the very best in between, so the "hotfix" release of 227k as big public official is not that "hot" anymore now...
But a lot of things have been fixed meanwhile even without me being very active and I am on it again for some time now too :)
stay healthy man
lots of people appreciate what you do
BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

Yeah. And make your best.
daemonspudguy

Post by daemonspudguy »

I can't launch OldUnreal227j. I get this error message

WARNING: Not using preference directory
Forcing CPU affinity disabled.
Caught a C++ exception in main()!
Aborting.

Can't find file for package ALAudio.

History: UObject::SafeLoadError <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- UEngine::InitAudio <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

UObject::SafeLoadError
<- UObject::StaticLoadClass
<- UEngine::InitAudio
<- UGameEngine::Init
<- InitEngine

Exiting due to error
daemonspudguy

Post by daemonspudguy »

I got it working. I needed libxmp4.
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

lowenz wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:00 am Github repo is no more update since Jul 31, is this right?
Up

Why?
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

lowenz wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:52 pm
lowenz wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:00 am Github repo is no more update since Jul 31, is this right?
Up

Why?

Smirftsch wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:53 am yes, my health wasn't the very best in between, so the "hotfix" release of 227k as big public official is not that "hot" anymore now...
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

Question was another one: why the *REPO* is not updated, not "why the patch is not packaged" in a convenient form (not important for us testers)
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

It's probably related but I'll leave it to Smirftsch to fill in the details.

Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Had the
Can't find file for package ALAudio.
error message. Installing libxmp4 solved the problem on my system (running on the latest Linux Mint xfce).

Oh yes, I changed the renderer to opengl instead of xopengl to prevent artifacting ^_^
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

OK now the repo on github is updated :)
Fierelier

Post by Fierelier »

Jules wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:41 pm Hello, could I ask someone for a suggestion in trying to figure out why the 64-bit version of the game crashes at the beginning?
I have a very similar issue, but on the 32-bit release, using an Intel Pentium M. I had to copy the SDL binaries from the help folder, because the ones that come in Debian are too old.

Code: Select all

Starting program: /home/fierelier/.wine/drive_c/Games/Unreal Gold/System/UnrealLinux.bin
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
WARNING: Not using preference directory
[Detaching after fork from child process 10256]

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0xb6eac0eb in CalculateXRandRRefreshRate () from ./libSDL2-2.0.so.0
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb6eac0eb in CalculateXRandRRefreshRate () from ./libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#1  0xb6eac1d0 in SetXRandRModeInfo () from ./libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#2  0xb6eaca8a in X11_InitModes_XRandR () from ./libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#3  0xb6eacef2 in X11_InitModes () from ./libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#4  0xb6eb28d9 in X11_VideoInit () from ./libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#5  0xb6d9f366 in SDL_VideoInit_REAL () from ./libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#6  0xb6ca6088 in SDL_InitSubSystem_REAL () from ./libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#7  0xb6ca623d in SDL_Init_REAL () from ./libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#8  0xb6cb9779 in SDL_Init_DEFAULT () from ./libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#9  0xb6cc2f68 in SDL_Init () from ./libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#10 0x0804e07a in main ()
(gdb) display/i $pc
1: x/i $pc
=> 0xb6eac0eb <CalculateXRandRRefreshRate+118>: fisttpl -0x14(%ebp)
There seem to be SSE3 instructions in the SDL2 library. Depending on what you want to target, I would recommend compiling only with SSE1 (Pentium 3-ish: -march=i686 -mmmx -msse -mno-sse2), or even no SSE at all (Pentium 2-ish: -march=i686 -mmmx -mno-sse -mno-sse2).

I'm excited to try this on other machines, though.
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

Pentium M is 20 years old.

Pretty sure it would be unreasonable for this project to waste effort on compatibility with hardware this old.
Fierelier

Post by Fierelier »

This is likely just a few compiler flags (one line of "code"), like I've described. I can play chocolate doom on this machine, watch 720p video, manage my finances, post on this forum.. I've been doing a lot to make this box a usable companion :)

Unfortunately, OpenGL support on this GPU is not great (slow, sometimes buggy OpenGL 1.4), and I'm limited to mostly software accelerated Linux titles. There aren't a lot. Wine's DirectDraw seems to be accelerated by OpenGL, and I've tried setting the correct values in the registry, no dice.

So here's a use-case for Windows XP, since it was talked about before: Playing old games on aged computers, especially if the computer cannot accept an OpenGL 2.1 capable GPU (a laptop).

Anyways, I was happy to see this title as another possible candidate (a Linux software-rendered game). If it just is compiler flags, it's certainly it is worth it, since there already is 32-bit support (which would imply to me some legacy friendliness).

I also did play the Windows version of this patch on this exact machine before, on XP, and it ran great. I used it because I was told it's a fix for the speed-up bug I was experiencing.
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

If you read around, you'll learn that the 64 bit Linux build even requires AVX2 to run. Hence the SIGILL crash. The requirement is surely excessively steep, yet the devs aren't going to do anything about it anytime soon. I imagine it'll take time to recode something, they have their hands full as it is.
Fierelier

Post by Fierelier »

tlk wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:07 pm I imagine it'll take time to recode something, they have their hands full as it is.
I really doubt it's that, unless there is assembly involved, it should just be compiler flags.
REA
OldUnreal Member

Post by REA »

unfa wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:54 amOne issue I've found when using the XOpenGL renderer (native 64-bit Linux version) is when transparent objects are drawn on scree, they reveal wireframes of solid objects behind them. For pain overlay this means the wireframes of everything are visible briefly:

Screenshot_20220726_024526.jpg
That issue is still happening on Unreal v227j x86 as well as UT99 v469c x64 with OpenGL and XOpenGL renderers on Linux;

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10589

The solution is indeed disabling AA;
rdy2bz wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:55 pm That's an artifact from antialiasing, you find that in several other games, too. Try deactivating AA and see if the lines disappear.
I hope it will be fixed in an update for v227j or at the release of v277k.
Psychomorph
OldUnreal Member

Post by Psychomorph »

I used to play normally after installing 227j, but 2 days ago I played WolfCoop (Hardcore server) again and had lots of random issues, like picking up things would randomly activate items and then few maps later am stuck in Connecting spectator mode indefinitely. Other WolfCoop servers work fine.

Today I played on a RLcoop server and also had issues. Shivaxi said it might be 227j. I reinstalled 227i and all problems were solved. Installed 227j again and the previous problems re-appear.

However, with 227i the old problems with Unreal Gold resurfaced, the terrible UI scaling with 4k and OpenGL and Dx8/9 having terrible performance (mouse skipping, low FPS, etc.). I played original Unreal with 227i for years, so those issues were not present until I switched to Gold.

So it seems both, i and j are not really usable with Unreal Gold for me. Any ideas what to try?
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Psychomorph wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:45 pm I used to play normally after installing 227j, but 2 days ago I played WolfCoop (Hardcore server) again and had lots of random issues, like picking up things would randomly activate items and then few maps later am stuck in Connecting spectator mode indefinitely. Other WolfCoop servers work fine.

Today I played on a RLcoop server and also had issues. Shivaxi said it might be 227j. I reinstalled 227i and all problems were solved. Installed 227j again and the previous problems re-appear.

However, with 227i the old problems with Unreal Gold resurfaced, the terrible UI scaling with 4k and OpenGL and Dx8/9 having terrible performance (mouse skipping, low FPS, etc.). I played original Unreal with 227i for years, so those issues were not present until I switched to Gold.

So it seems both, i and j are not really usable with Unreal Gold for me. Any ideas what to try?
227k pre-release test versions exist. These are in principle private to beta testers but ofc you can try signing up as beta tester if you are willing to test the beta builds and provide technical feedback. (With log files etc. Saying "it doesn't work" from a tester will not help the devs)
227k development is currently being slowed down because of personal reasons of the dev(s). So the ideal solution, a 227K release version, may not be around the corner yet.

Psychomorph
OldUnreal Member

Post by Psychomorph »

Thanks for the info. Where do I apply for 227k testing?
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Psychomorph wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:29 pm Thanks for the info. Where do I apply for 227k testing?
I haven't seen any official procedures for it. Your best bet is to contact the administrator(s) of this site. Either via the forum, site contact info or the OldUnreal discord. It's not guaranteed you will be given access as you will need to be trusted. But you can always try.

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hyper wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:19 am
Psychomorph wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:29 pm Thanks for the info. Where do I apply for 227k testing?
I haven't seen any official procedures for it. Your best bet is to contact the administrator(s) of this site. Either via the forum, site contact info or the OldUnreal discord. It's not guaranteed you will be given access as you will need to be trusted. But you can always try.
I just want to say here, but Psychomorph is a trustworthy person. I knew him from co-op a long way back and he's a presence at the UT Infiltration Coop community, which is really one of the most unique experiences. Though some people didn't like my presence as I wasn't a good team worker and UT INF is a "stick together" kind of thing and I would often rush to situations myself to take down monsters instead of waiting for the team or whatever.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

Psychomorph wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:45 pmI used to play normally after installing 227j, but 2 days ago I played WolfCoop (Hardcore server) again and had lots of random issues, like picking up things would randomly activate items and then few maps later am stuck in Connecting spectator mode indefinitely.
The issues you described typically happen when versions of the server and the client are not network-compatible. I've read some messages on Discord where the admins of those servers mention usage of 227j_42 and some temporary update installed over it.

227j_42 (with or without temporary updates) is not supposed to be network-compatible with the final 227j, and you can expect any glitches when trying to use an incompatible client version.

In case if a server admin uses 227j_42 without a temporary update, the compatible client versions you can safely use are:
227j_42 without updates,
227j_42 with any temporary update for it.

In case if a server admin uses 227j_42 with a temporary update, the compatible client versions you can safely use are:
227j_42 without updates,
227j_42 with the same temporary update as the one used on the server.

In both cases, the set of compatible client versions may also include 224, 225, 226, and 227i depending on the minimal version allowed by the mods and the settings used on the server.

Admins who use beta builds of 227j on their servers are encouraged to specify the exact version (including the build number and the number of the temporary update) in their server title in order to let players know that they need a special client to join and play without troubles.
Psychomorph wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:45 pmHowever, with 227i the old problems with Unreal Gold resurfaced, the terrible UI scaling with 4k and OpenGL and Dx8/9 having terrible performance (mouse skipping, low FPS, etc.).
I presume, it's possible to conform 227j or 227k against 227_42 and play on 227_42 servers without serious issues. However, such a client won't be compatible with normal 227j and 227k servers, so you'd need at least 2 local game installs for different servers.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Masterkent wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:39 am
Psychomorph wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:45 pmI used to play normally after installing 227j, but 2 days ago I played WolfCoop (Hardcore server) again and had lots of random issues, like picking up things would randomly activate items and then few maps later am stuck in Connecting spectator mode indefinitely.
The issues you described typically happen when versions of the server and the client are not network-compatible. I've read some messages on Discord where the admins of those servers mention usage of 227j_42 and some temporary update installed over it.

227j_42 (with or without temporary updates) is not supposed to be network-compatible with the final 227j, and you can expect any glitches when trying to use an incompatible client version.

In case if a server admin uses 227j_42 without a temporary update, the compatible client versions you can safely use are:
227j_42 without updates,
227j_42 with any temporary update for it.

In case if a server admin uses 227j_42 with a temporary update, the compatible client versions you can safely use are:
227j_42 without updates,
227j_42 with the same temporary update as the one used on the server.

In both cases, the set of compatible client versions may also include 224, 225, 226, and 227i depending on the minimal version allowed by the mods and the settings used on the server.

Admins who use beta builds of 227j on their servers are encouraged to specify the exact version (including the build number and the number of the temporary update) in their server title in order to let players know that they need a special client to join and play without troubles.
Psychomorph wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:45 pmHowever, with 227i the old problems with Unreal Gold resurfaced, the terrible UI scaling with 4k and OpenGL and Dx8/9 having terrible performance (mouse skipping, low FPS, etc.).
I presume, it's possible to conform 227j or 227k against 227_42 and play on 227_42 servers without serious issues. However, such a client won't be compatible with normal 227j and 227k servers, so you'd need at least 2 local game installs for different servers.
Speaking of that, is there a public link to 227_42? That's the version before the big changes started happening right? I don't think I even have that one saved, I do have like version 38 or something before the big change not 42.

but gee what a mess. I thought the whole point of those patches would be that: versions would be compatible. I mean we had even 226final (an alt of 226a and not actually 226f) be conformed to work with the 227 patches via a hack (as well as 226b). But now an internal version that's being shared/played around doesn't have that. :/

or well I suppose it does but can cause desyncs..i mean it won't outright crash or something like with connecting to 226final with the 227 patches in the past (before 227h or what version introduced the compat).

Return to “Unreal 227”