For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Semi public release of 227j

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Semi public release of 227j

Post by Smirftsch »

I just finished packing the installer for 227j. It's late here and I already had a very long work day.
I am almost afraid I missed something because I am really tired.
So for everyone, full public release, including a compressed only file version without installer will be tomorrow after I reviewed everything a last time , but here already something to test with until then:

This is the (yet semi) official release of Unreal 227j. The patch can be applied on any existing Unreal version, including base Unreal, Unreal Gold and Unreal Anthology. Note that the installer may not always find the correct path to your Unreal installation, so make sure to correct it manually.

Due to its massive scope, the 227j patch may contain errors. We invite everybody to try it out and give us feedback.

The release notes are very long, but give you a short overview: Windows 10/11 support (32-bit and 64-bit), Linux support (32-bit and 64-bit), Linux ARM (Cortex-A72) support, a completely new future-proof renderer (XOpenGL) with new features, as well as many new functions and improvements in UnrealEd 2.2.

https://www.oldunreal.com/patch/unreal/ ... tch227j.7z
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Re: Semi public release of 227j

Post by Hyper »

What an epic journey that was. Thanks Smirftsch and Team OldUnreal for your unwavering dedication to this gem of a game!
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

I'm so happy for these news, and even MORE happy to have been part of this!

Congratulations Smirf and team!

P.S.: If your download is blocked, FEAR NOT, THAT'S A TRULY FALSE POSITIVE.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ividyon
OldUnreal Member

Post by ividyon »

Hell, it's about time.

It was a trying ordeal and you came out on top. Great work. Thus end the memes about 10 years of nopatch.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Massive congratulations on the release! I look forward to experiencing all the improvements that this new patch brings. Might want to put a link to the changelog in the first post, perhaps?
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Heh, that was an intense testing session even today.
But I loved every second of it.

Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Dynamo wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:06 pm Massive congratulations on the release! I look forward to experiencing all the improvements that this new patch brings. Might want to put a link to the changelog in the first post, perhaps?
Hope you have some hours to spar, lol!

https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... otes/v227j

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

TL;DR of TL;DR version can be found at http://www.hypercoop.tk

yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Thank you for your hard work.
Reborn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Reborn »

Thanks you, great job!

1) In-Save-Screeenshot preview not world, only menu
https://ibb.co/s18Zwn1
Need small delay before saving, to close menu.

2) 64-bit application (Windows7 64 bit)
"The program can’t start because vcruntime140_1.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"
Need unknown version of Microsoft runtime Libraries, or dll

3) Russian localization of classic menu:
https://ibb.co/MhktbCH
(The font does not have cyrillic letters)

4) Russian localization of Unreal Gold menu:
text does not fit in window
https://ibb.co/7nJvMcz

5) no F9 Screenshots in 64-bit application.
To take a screenshot you need to copy the folder "Screenshots" from "System" to "System64"
It is bad that the screenshot is not saved if this folder does not exist
It may have been accidentally deleted by the user.

program should check if the folder is writable, and create it if it doesn't exist
Last edited by Reborn on Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Reborn wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:35 pm 4) Russian localization of Unreal Gold menu:
text does not fit in window
https://ibb.co/7nJvMcz
For Russian lines, here's an useful thread for reporting:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10397

Reborn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Reborn »

Wrote this post here.
Maybe it will be fixed in the release?

Version 227i have in Engine.rut

Code: Select all

[Fonts]
SmallFont=UWindowFonts.Tahoma10
WhiteFont=UWindowFonts.Tahoma12
MedFont=UWindowFonts.Tahoma11
LargeFont=UWindowFonts.Tahoma30
BigFont=UWindowFonts.Tahoma30
Papyrus=UWindowFonts.Tahoma30
Chiller=UWindowFonts.Tahoma30
Result (move this code from 227i to 227j)
https://ibb.co/JySW81P
Fonts are not good, but readable

But current version 227j have in Engine.rut

Code: Select all

[Fonts]
WhiteFont=UnrealShare.WhiteFont
MedFont=Engine.MedFont
LargeFont=Engine.LargeFont
BigFont=Engine.BigFont
SmallFont=Engine.SmallFont
But all this fonts does not have cyrillic letters.
THEtomaso
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEtomaso »

OK, so basically all of the issues which I posted in the development board remains unfixed!:
THEtomaso wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:28 pm#1: When selecting a new game, it defaults to "Return to Na Pali" (should be "Unreal").
A minor issue of course, but really; RTNP shouldn't be the the default choice!
Most importantly, to avoid confusion for first time players (yes, there might actually be some).

--
THEtomaso wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:16 pm#3: In previous versions, upon launching Unreal Gold, it would alternate between the Unreal "castle flyby" intro, and the Return to Na Pali intro.
With v227j, it only shows the Unreal intro, every single time!
In v227j, the value for AltLocalMap= (in Unreal.ini) has been left blank!
Simply setting it to Upack.unr fixes the issue now.

--
THEtomaso wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:39 pm#4: If you start a new Return to Na Pali game, and let the intro play out without skipping anything, it fails to be shown properly.
When Intro2.unr is supposed to be loaded, it shows a black screen instead, with the HUD and crosshair.
At this point, you're able to shoot and look around.
Launching Intro1.unr or Intro2.unr manually doesn't cause a crash anymore, but the intro still fails to play out properly, like described in the quote above.

--
THEtomaso wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:21 pm#5: The default music volume level isn't properly balanced anymore.
During the Return to Na Pali intro (Intro1.unr), when the escape pod is entering UMS Bodega Bay, it's impossible to filter out what's being said, because the music plays too loud over it!
I realize that this is a minor issue, but still.. a game's default audio settings shouldn't be WAY off, like it is in v227j!
In relation to the other volume levels (everything is set to 192), the music level should be set to about half of that now (to 96).

--
THEtomaso wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:23 am#6: It appears that there's still an issue with the installer's detection feature..
Whilst the latest version now does detect a GOG installation properly, it still fails to detect a Steam intstallation.
If the Steam version is installed, the installer defaults to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\UnrealGold' (should be 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Unreal Gold').
This is arguably the most important installation folder to detect, as many people struggle to even locate that directory for themselves.
eGo had some suggestions on how to approach this, but in all fairness, I see why this particular issue might just as well be left alone. :)

--
THEtomaso wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:19 pm#7: Some translator messages doesn't quite fit into the translator display.

Example:

Perhaps there are longer messages, which fits even less?
So, I guess this might always have been an issue with community made messages, which sometimes have been made too long.
..but you should at least make sure that all official in-game messages fits the screen!

--
THEtomaso wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:54 amA quick question..
I noticed that the translator size is now linked against the new HUD scaling feature, which totally makes sense, of course.
But why is this scaling disabled by default (set to 1.000000)??
I can't imagine anyone not wanting to take advantage of this awesome new feature on modern computers.
IMO, the scaling should be enabled by default (set to 2.000000 perhaps)!
Any thoughts on this?
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Unreal 227j UnrealScript documentation:
http://www.hypercoop.tk/infobase/codebase/Unreal_227j_UScript_Documentation/index.html

[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

UseRawHIDInput=True (on windows) seems to cause the mousewheel to jerk your view up/down despite bindings. Workaround is setting it to false.
eGo
OldUnreal Member

Post by eGo »

Thanks @Smirftsch for the long journey.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

THEtomaso wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:52 am OK, so basically all of the issues which I posted in the development board remains unfixed!:
THEtomaso wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:28 pm#1: When selecting a new game, it defaults to "Return to Na Pali" (should be "Unreal").
A minor issue of course, but really; RTNP shouldn't be the the default choice!
Most importantly, to avoid confusion for first time players (yes, there might actually be some).

--
THEtomaso wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:16 pm#3: In previous versions, upon launching Unreal Gold, it would alternate between the Unreal "castle flyby" intro, and the Return to Na Pali intro.
With v227j, it only shows the Unreal intro, every single time!
In v227j, the value for AltLocalMap= (in Unreal.ini) has been left blank!
Simply setting it to Upack.unr fixes the issue now.

--
THEtomaso wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:39 pm#4: If you start a new Return to Na Pali game, and let the intro play out without skipping anything, it fails to be shown properly.
When Intro2.unr is supposed to be loaded, it shows a black screen instead, with the HUD and crosshair.
At this point, you're able to shoot and look around.
Launching Intro1.unr or Intro2.unr manually doesn't cause a crash anymore, but the intro still fails to play out properly, like described in the quote above.

--
THEtomaso wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:21 pm#5: The default music volume level isn't properly balanced anymore.
During the Return to Na Pali intro (Intro1.unr), when the escape pod is entering UMS Bodega Bay, it's impossible to filter out what's being said, because the music plays too loud over it!
I realize that this is a minor issue, but still.. a game's default audio settings shouldn't be WAY off, like it is in v227j!
In relation to the other volume levels (everything is set to 192), the music level should be set to about half of that now (to 96).

--
THEtomaso wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:23 am#6: It appears that there's still an issue with the installer's detection feature..
Whilst the latest version now does detect a GOG installation properly, it still fails to detect a Steam intstallation.
If the Steam version is installed, the installer defaults to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\UnrealGold' (should be 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Unreal Gold').
This is arguably the most important installation folder to detect, as many people struggle to even locate that directory for themselves.
eGo had some suggestions on how to approach this, but in all fairness, I see why this particular issue might just as well be left alone. :)

--
THEtomaso wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:19 pm#7: Some translator messages doesn't quite fit into the translator display.

Example:

Perhaps there are longer messages, which fits even less?
So, I guess this might always have been an issue with community made messages, which sometimes have been made too long.
..but you should at least make sure that all official in-game messages fits the screen!

--
THEtomaso wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:54 amA quick question..
I noticed that the translator size is now linked against the new HUD scaling feature, which totally makes sense, of course.
But why is this scaling disabled by default (set to 1.000000)??
I can't imagine anyone not wanting to take advantage of this awesome new feature on modern computers.
IMO, the scaling should be enabled by default (set to 2.000000 perhaps)!
Any thoughts on this?
Sorry, there was a lot of pressure to get this done and the very most of these things have been not really critical and plain need some time to get on.

Yet, about a few things: I'm a bit surprised, the AltLocalMap=UPack should be added by the installer once RTNP is installed and it seemed to work. Maybe its broken somehow. Edit: I forgot to add the Map for Unreal.ini, it only did that to Default.ini, hence the confusion. Changed the installer accordingly.

As for Audio balance settings- this also very very much depends on speaker setup and hardware, I think there is no absolute balance setting possible working for everyone. One just needs to set it up once.
The HUD scaling is rather new and to enable it automatically in bigger resolutions the installer would have to know what resolution is one about to use later in game...rather difficult and I wouldn't want to enable it always auto enabled always. Users choice.
The Steam path not detected- I guess this might be fixable, but again, needs time to investigate and implement.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:48 am UseRawHIDInput=True (on windows) seems to cause the mousewheel to jerk your view up/down despite bindings. Workaround is setting it to false.
seems not everyone is affected, needs investigation yet.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

eGo wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:17 am Thanks @Smirftsch for the long journey.
thanks for being with me ;)
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Smirftsch wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:32 am
[]KAOS[]Casey wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:48 am UseRawHIDInput=True (on windows) seems to cause the mousewheel to jerk your view up/down despite bindings. Workaround is setting it to false.
seems not everyone is affected, needs investigation yet.
My gut feeling tells me that the mouse wheel might be being interpreted as a HAT or some other joystick input. I have zero evidence to back that up.
Milkey Wilkey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Milkey Wilkey »

Congratulations on finally releasing it! This was indeed a long jorney, way longer than anyone whould have guessed
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Life had different plans with me...
THEtomaso
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEtomaso »

Smirftsch wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:46 amthe very most of these things have been not really critical
Except for #4 of course.
I think that one REALLY needs to be fixed for the final release!

--
Smirftsch wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:46 amAs for Audio balance settings- this also very very much depends on speaker setup and hardware, I think there is no absolute balance setting possible working for everyone.
Yeah, but the default music level is now set at the same level as the other sound effects.
AFAIK, this has never been the case for any Unreal version!
The music volume has always been set to a lower level, for good reasons.

Although not critical, #1, #3 and #5 should be very easy to fix, as it only involves changing default values!
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Thank you all for putting such gargantuan efforts into this old game we love. Lova y'all! <3
eGo
OldUnreal Member

Post by eGo »

THEtomaso wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:12 am Yeah, but the default music level is now set at the same level as the other sound effects.
AFAIK, this has never been the case for any Unreal version!
The music volume has always been set to a lower level, for good reasons.

Although not critical, #1, #3 and #5 should be very easy to fix, as it only involves changing default values!
C'mon...every original Unreal versions has different audio level settings like Totally Unreal, U Gold, Anthology, GOG version, Steam etc. Yeah, it isn't balanced but that's not a broken leg.

Return to “Unreal 227”