For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Audio issue with UnrealGold + 227i on Debian 11

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
BOfH

Audio issue with UnrealGold + 227i on Debian 11

Post by BOfH »

I have recently installed Unreal Gold on Win10 and applied the 227i Gold patch. I have then copied the install to my Debian 11 box. I was unable to start Unreal. Looking at the FAQ, I tried with -nosound and I was able to start it, albeit and unsurprisingly, without any audio. Looking at the log, I can see:

Code: Select all

Log: 2647.9ms Loading: Package ALAudio
Warning: Failed to load 'Class ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem': Failed to find object 'Class ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem'
Warning: 
Critical: appError called:
Critical: 
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing USDLClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UOpenGLRenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Log: appRequestExit(1) 
Log: Log file closed, Tue Feb  8 17:07:05 2022
I can see there is a file ALAudio.so in Unreal/System and looking at strace, it looks to be located. The Debian packages libopenal1:i386 and libopenal1-dev:i386 are both installed.

Giving up on OpenAL for a while, I tried the advice in the FAQ about changing to FMod in Unreal.ini.

;AudioDevice=ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem
AudioDevice=FMODAudioDrv.FMODAudioDevice
This appeared to make no difference to the failed startup or log output. Indeed, I even commented out the other references to OpenAL in the Unreal.ini but no dice.

Is anyone able to offer any suggestions for what to try next, please?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: Audio issue with UnrealGold + 227i on Debian 11

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

might be missing a lib, try
ldd *.so | grep -i "not found"
BOfH

Post by BOfH »

Thanks for the tip. I tried that and received the following output:

libfmod.so => not found
	libmikmod.so.2 => not found
	libfmod.so => not found
	libfmodex.so => not found
Looks like libmikmod is related to the mikmod player and the remainder to FMOD. On first inspection, I get the impression neither of these libs would be related to the error I'm seeing?

Nevertheless, I had a go a tracking them down. It seems Debian 11 includes version 3 of Mikmod, where the library file is libmikmod.so.3. I guess I could try installing version 2 from an earlier package.

Looks like FMod does not ship with Debian, although there is a wiki page explaining how to download and install it.

Before I go another further with these courses of action, do you think I'm on the correct track? I'm a little weary as it doesn't seem to relate all that much to the error I'm receiving.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

libmikmod.so is what fmod uses to play the tracked music. You can ignore fmodex.so as you don't need it unless you're using fmodex. iirc on 227i ALAudio uses FMod to play tracked music as well, but its been a while since I thought about it..

I do know there is a convenience libs package out there somewhere

You can try symlinking libmodmod.so.3 to libmikmod.so.2, it might work.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Unreal's error output is a bit silly in this regard, you are getting Failed to find object 'Class ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem' but it means it can't load it. Not being able to load it reports this error as well as if the file wouldn't be there in the first place.
The first thing you need here is libfmod, which is fmod 3. Both FMod and ALAudio in 227i use it for music output. But wasn't in 227i a "convenience libs" archive? It should include it.
Other than that you can download it here: https://www.oldunreal.com/patch/unreal/ ... nux.tar.gz

227j is on its way as well, Linux port has been significantly improved and is built on Debian10.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
BOfH

Post by BOfH »

Thanks for that link, though the tar only had one .so and I didn't help much! I tried the Debian Wiki instructions for installing FMod but that didn't help much either, missing fmodex.so.

I have heard of the "convenience libs" but never seen it in the wild, so I went searching it out. It eventually turned up in Unreal/help. I've extracted the necessary .so files, indicated as missing by ldd. The good news is that Unreal now launches without the need for -nosound. The bad news it that without -nosound, there is no sound. I get the following error:

Processors / Cores 8
Forcing CPU affinity disabled.
OpenAL: Failed, trying (again) default device
ALSA lib conf.c:3725:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
AL lib: (EE) ALCplaybackAlsa_open: Could not open playback device 'default': No such file or directory
OpenAL: Failed to Initialize Open AL Device
The missing file can be provided by libasound, although installing that packages appears to cause untold chaos (it triggers various apt dependences that result it in wanting to remove half the applications on my machine).

Undeterred, I attempted to play around with various settings in Unreal.ini to see if I could swtich to ALSA output. I tried swtiching from OpenAL to FMod as the output (as per FAQ) as well as changing the output for OpenAL and FMod from DSOUND to ALSA. None of these settings appear to change anything and are leading my to suspect that Unreal.ini isn't even being read. I'll try to see what strace says about that.

Here's the tail end of UnrealLinux.bin.log

Log: UseDetailAlpha: 1
Log: Bound to ALAudio.so
Log: OpenAL: ALDEVICES found 1:OpenALSoft
Log: OpenAL: Setting FMODOutput to ALSA
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 0:default
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 1:hw
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 2:plughw
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 3:plug
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 4:shm
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 5:tee
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 6:file
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 7:null
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 8:cards
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 9:sysdefault
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 10:front
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 11:rear
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 12:centerlfe
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 13:side
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 14:surround21
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 15:surround40
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 16:surround41
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 17:surround50
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 18:surround51
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 19:surround71
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 20:iec958
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 21:spdif
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 22:hdmi
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 23:dmix
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 24:dsnoop
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 25:modem
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 26:phoneline
Log: 2593.8ms Loading: Package ALAudio
Log: Checking package ALAudio
Log: OpenAL: ALDevice 0, FMODOutput Enum 3, FMODDevice Enum 0, OutputRate Enum 5
DevAudio: OpenAL: rate 44100
Init: OpenAL: Selected ALDevice is: 0
BOfH

Post by BOfH »

strace revealed that it was actually looking for UnrealLinux.ini. Once I edited *that* file and changed the output from OpenAL to FMod, I have working sound!

Thanks everyone for your help in getting this working.
Skrilax_CZ
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skrilax_CZ »

This thread makes one realize that 227i was released almost a decade ago and we start running into "getting old binary running on newer linux" type of issues.

Return to “Unreal 227”