For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

How to hide 227's difficulty levels?

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
OpenRift
OldUnreal Member

How to hide 227's difficulty levels?

Post by OpenRift »

While I do find it nice that 227 comes with more difficulty levels, I'd like a way to hide them, since I'm mostly just interested in the vanilla difficulties. Also it's really deceiving that "Very Hard" is actually the "Unreal" difficulty from 226 and the "Unreal" difficulty in 227 is something else. I know you can change the names and descriptions in the Umenu.int, but not whether or not they appear in the list. Is it possible to hide the new skill levels introduced in 227 so it's just the 4 core difficulties?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: How to hide 227's difficulty levels?

Post by Leo T_C_K »

ANother way is I believe just use standard menu and not umenu, the new difficulties don't appear there last I checked.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

OpenRift wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:13 pmAlso it's really deceiving that "Very Hard" is actually the "Unreal" difficulty from 226 and the "Unreal" difficulty in 227 is something else.
This issue is resolved in 227j where difficulty levels are names as follows:

Easy
Medium
Hard
Unreal
Extreme
Nightmare
Ultra-Unreal

UMenu doesn't provide means to hide non-vanilla difficulty levels, and I hardly understand the need in such a feature. Just don't use the options you don't need. Except for very rare cases, I personally don't use anything but Unreal difficulty; the presence of other difficulty levels in game menu doesn't bother me however.
OpenRift
OldUnreal Member

Post by OpenRift »

Masterkent wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:42 pm
OpenRift wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:13 pmAlso it's really deceiving that "Very Hard" is actually the "Unreal" difficulty from 226 and the "Unreal" difficulty in 227 is something else.
This issue is resolved in 227j where difficulty levels are names as follows:

Easy
Medium
Hard
Unreal
Extreme
Nightmare
Ultra-Unreal

UMenu doesn't provide means to hide non-vanilla difficulty levels, and I hardly understand the need in such a feature. Just don't use the options you don't need. Except for very rare cases, I personally don't use anything but Unreal difficulty; the presence of other difficulty levels in game menu doesn't bother me however.
Yeah, well from what I've seen it sounds like 227j isn't coming out anytime soon. Oh well.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Isn't it? On the contrary it might be closer than anytime before, at least on some level.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:41 pm Isn't it? On the contrary it might be closer than anytime before, at least on some level.
Nah, 227j_42 was looking less glitchy than recent builds. When a "patch" introduces funny things like this

I can only say "seriously?!"
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

A lot of other things got fixed recently though and the newly introduced stuff was being fixed. But the new problems are more of result of introducing new stuff to the patch without checking all possible ways it can fail. At least you're doing a good job on reporting those problems and offering solutions.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

That's the way it is, one can't always consider every (sometimes also stupid) idea in which way a new idea might be used or abused (meant in a positive way) :)
Also, don't forget that new things are also often fixes in some way for problems otherwise not fixable.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
K-Bone
OldUnreal Member

Post by K-Bone »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:41 pm Isn't it? On the contrary it might be closer than anytime before, at least on some level.
Really? We're still under this delusion that Smirf's ever going to release 227j? Considering how long they've been saying "It's gonna be released soon." You're gonna have to dig deep to change my mind on 227j being released at all.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

While this is massively off-topic...

The issue has always been that we find a decent release candidate then discover a new bug/bugs and repeat. There's been a particular crash bug that has been effecting my server behind the scenes for several months that we've been trying to track down.

Other merges of good changes integrated into UT469 have had unforeseen consequences in Unreal 1, typically involving monsters and/or AI related behavior. UT99 players don't use monsters as much as Unreal 1 so that's understandable.

Instead of the negative "it's never being released", understand the why it's not being released. Do you want a buggy pile of shit, or something that is at least seemingly relatively OK?

p.s. it's still not one person making this patch happen.
► Show Spoiler
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:30 pm While this is massively off-topic...

The issue has always been that we find a decent release candidate then discover a new bug/bugs and repeat.
No-no-no, if it were just about fixing bugs with an appropriate analysis (how to avoid adding new bugs when attempting to fix old ones), we could have a decently working patch years ago.

The trouble as I see it is that we have major changes constantly applied to different parts of the source code, these changes potentially have a big impact and make testing for regressions difficult. For example, take a look at recent changes in UCC. You can't rewrite the whole goddamned message system in the compiler if you plan to produce a stable release soon, this approach is just nonsensical in a well-elaborated development strategy.

Another source of errors is someone's big love to optimize things that don't really need optimizations. For example, setting the default value of ReplicationInfo.NetUpdateFrequncy to 4 broke my mods in two different places (lag detection stopped working normally because of timestamps replicated at too low rate, and spectator's first-person view stopped working normally because of player rotation replicated at too low rate). If such unnecessary "improvements" are applied inside the engine on a daily basis, I can imagine how many new glitches can be added this way.
[]KAOS[]Casey wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:30 pmDo you want a buggy pile of shit, or something that is at least seemingly relatively OK?
I'm afraid, with the current development approches, being "a buggy pile of shit" is going to be permanent state of this patch now.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Actually and ironically, this is the very reason why originally John W. Anderson (dr. sleep) left Epic permanently in 1997. The constant changes to the engine kept breaking his maps and Tim Sweeney only issued statements like "replace this and this string in t3d when porting maps to the new major revision" instead of writing a tool that automatically does it etc. John got so sick of it that he left Epic to join what seemed at the time a better opportunity, developement of Daikatana...

This is something inevitable it seems when it comes to Unreal engine developement, lol.

Return to “Unreal 227”