For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Black skybox textures with S3TC textures and OpenGL (Linux)

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Thetargos

Black skybox textures with S3TC textures and OpenGL (Linux)

Post by Thetargos »

AFAIK back in the olden days when only the proprietary nvidia driver could make use of these textures on Linux, one of the caveats of them was that if you used these, they'd introduce a "black skybox" for many of the textures used. And this still holds true for the latest OpenGL renderer in 227i. I know it is a bit of a niche of a niche issue, but has anyone gotten to actually have the skybox textures to look as intended even when using the compressed textures? What's odd is that not all levels seem to be affected equally. At least there were some maps in the single player campaign that did not show this problem. I'm loving this patch and the reworked audio effects (just awesome!, reverb and dampening when shooting in caves/underwater, really swings my nostalgia fibers the right way)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Black skybox textures with S3TC textures and OpenGL (Linux)

Post by Smirftsch »

Sorry, missed this one! And welcome to the forums :)
I am not entirely sure anymore, since I am playing this game for many years now with high-res textures, but this may be a blending issue. Do you have an example where this is happening? Can have a look to refresh my memories...
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.

Return to “Unreal 227”