For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Need Help On How to Get UnrealGold to Work

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Need Help On How to Get UnrealGold to Work

Post by Fred »

Hello,

To update my Unreal gaming, I installed UnrealGold on a new computer build. Formally, on my other computer, I had Unreal and NaPali installed using separate install disks, one for each game, the prior way of doing it.

UnrealGold installed properly. After that, I applied the Patch UnrealGold 227i. Of course, it wouldn’t launch. I believed it needed a driver to make it work.

I searched old unreal, and I found some drivers listed for download. I had a problem identifying the proper one. So, I just downloaded the first one listed. It is named “openGLDrv.zip.” I installed it, following the directions in the text readme:

1. Delete Unreal.ini in UnrealGold System folder
2. Extract all files into UnrealGold System folder

I then launched UnrealGold using the Unreal.exe included in the download. I got the following error:

The Procedure entry point
?GetWindowClassName@WLog@@UAEXPAG@Z could not be
located in the dynamic link library
C\UnrealGold\System\Unreal.exe

This is where I need assistance. I understand none of that message. What should I do now?

Fred
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Re: Need Help On How to Get UnrealGold to Work

Post by Hyper »

The OpenGL driver (renderer) you installed is not meant to be used with patch 227i. Patch 227i already contains updated OpenGL drivers as well as other updated renderers like Direct3D 9.

Best option is to remove the extra OpenGl driver you selected and re-install patch 227i to get the original 227i version back.
Then of course you are back to a non-working 227i. Please then start the game and post the end of your Unreal.log file to share the error condition that leads to 227i not working for you.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hi Hyper,

OK, as you directed, I removed the OpenGL driver components, from System, that I erroneously installed, and then I reinstalled the Patch 227i. That all went well. I launched the game, and boom! It won't even launch. Since the game won't launch I can't present any Unreal Log, unless there's some other way to get to it, unknown to me. All I have is this error on the desktop.:

History: UFireTextrure::ConstantTimeTick <- UTexture::Tick<-
(FireTexture NALIFX.SHANEFX.TORCHES2) <- UTexture::Update <-
URender::DrawFrame <- URender::DrawFrame <-
URender::DrawWorld <- UGameEngine::Draw <-
UWindowViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsCliant::Tick <-
ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

I copied it as best I could. I didn't see any errors that I made when coppying.

I hope you can make some sense out of this.

Fred
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Lucky you, this infamous Firetexture crash is a known bug and it has a solution in the FAQ.
The fix is simple. Right-click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance Settings, Data Execution Prevention, select "Turn on for essential Windows programs and services only" or add a specific exception for Unreal. What exactly is causing this is unclear yet. Maybe because of the high amount of assembly code in fire.dll.

FAQ which I can't link to because the title of the answer is weird and breaks linkage.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hellkeeper,

You are correct, Sir. Thank you. Fount it! For those that may not know where to find the DEP options in the latest Windows 10 Home version (like me), they are in Settings > Update and Security > Windows Security > APP and browser control > Exploit Protection > Exploit Protection Settings. Whew!

Since I built a new computer with a new Windows 10, the DEP protection was on by default. Yeah, Windows considered NaPali a potential security and prevented it from running. Knowing where to look for solution can be an exercise in futility, especially when one isn't familiar with these situations like others may be.

Anyway, after I turned DEP off, NaPali Gold launched straight away. I can now proceed to update the game further. I plan to install the HD Ultra Extreme textures, those that only work with D3D11. In addition, I have 32 custom maps I will install. Those should look nice, hopefully.

Fred
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Great, you're in for a good time. Have fun and enjou the game. :)
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

For those that may not be familiar with the latest HD textures, I plan on installing the HD textures described as follows.:

HD4K Extreme Resolution Edition v3 for the Direct X 11 renderer
HD4K Textures Part 1 3.8GB

HD4K Textures Part 2 4.3GB

Note that they come in two downloads, Part 1 and Part 2. They can be found at this site.:

https://sites.google.com/view/unrealhdt ... d-textures

These should really be something.

Fred
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

That HD4K version also needs another updated renderer, namely DirectX 11.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-direc ... une-and-dx

If you want to use high-res textures with your current 227i installation without the above add-on, you will be limited to the normal HD texture pack. Which already is a huge improvement over the stock Unreal files.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hyper,

Yeah, I have the D3D11 renderer installed already. The requirement for it is stated on the 4K textures download website. I've already installed both the 4K textures and the D3D11 renderer. I'm still working on getting this update working the way I like.

Fred
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hyper,

Yeah, I have the D3D11 renderer installed already. The requirement for it is stated on the 4K textures download website. I've already installed both the 4K textures and the D3D11 renderer. I'm still working on getting this update working the way I like.

Fred

Done: I finished fussing with these 4K Extreme textures, and they look fantastic. In fact, I was so blown away that I installed Normal and height maps for Unreal Tournament 99 and Unreal Gold for Unreal DirectX 11 Renderer to make those textures look even better. Holy cow! OK, I know cows aren't actually holy (except in India), just an expression. Those guys working on these enhancements to these old games have done, and finished, the job started by Diehard several years ago. I'm thinking about making a nice donation over there where these guys post their handy work for download.

Those normal and height maps can be found here, for those interested in this enhancement.:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/normal-and-h ... 1-renderer

Back to work.

Fred
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hellow, Again,

When I installed those normal and height maps, the instructions stated to "extract contents of (the downloaded) Textures' folder to your Unreal Gold or UT99 'Textures' folder." I missed the word "or" and proceeded to extract the Textures to both the Unreal Gold AND the UT99 Textures folders. Ha!

I know there is a difference between OR and AND, but my reading didn't notice what those instructions actually stated. Even so, my mistake made no difference. The maps seem to work just fine, anyway.

Fred

Return to “Unreal 227”