For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[macOS] Using UT469b binaries with Unreal Gold

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Skrilax_CZ
OldUnreal Member

[macOS] Using UT469b binaries with Unreal Gold

Post by Skrilax_CZ »

Hi everyone,

Since it's possible to run the SP in 469b pretty much, I was wondering - is it actually possible replace the 227i binaries (just the DLLs and core packages) with UT469b to enable Unreal Gold (SP & RTNP) on macOS?

Motivation is that there's no macOS 227i published (yeah I read, can't be done due to license) and want to keep Unreal 1 separated from UT.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: [macOS] Using UT469b binaries with Unreal Gold

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

[*]forewarning: this is speculation based on the fact that I don't have a mac and cant test this, but I know this general method worked for UT436/432 etc.

Almost. You need UPAK.u that doesn't have a .dll bind which there are various versions of which floating around. you can find it if you look.

You would simply take an unreal gold (226b) install and add paths in your UnrealTournament.ini as such:

before:

Code: Select all

Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.unr
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx
after:

Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=\path\to\UnrealGold\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.unr
Paths=\path\to\UnrealGold\Maps\*.unr
Paths=\path\to\UnrealGold\Maps\UPak\*.unr
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=\path\to\UnrealGold\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=\path\to\UnrealGold\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx
Paths=\path\to\UnrealGold\Music\*.umx
Always put the UnrealGold paths second -- UT has some updated textures and a different entry map. Ideally, the upak.u file would be in your UnrealTournament system folder to load it from there first.

There is probably a way to use/fake the UMenu from UnrealGold with a subclass of the UT UMenu, but you'll have to use workarounds to start maps without it such as:

for Unreal campaign:
open VortexRikers?game=unrealshare.singleplayer?class=unreali.maletwo?difficulty=3

for RTNP:
open DuskFalls?game=UPak.UPakSinglePlayer?class=Upak.UPakMaletwo?difficulty=3

you can adjust the playerclass to whatever you feel like of course, as long as its the stock unreal classes. UT ones would work except for RTNP which has special cases for upak players.

I believe "difficulty=3" translates to Unreal difficulty, so adjust according to your tastes. 0 is the lowest, and you can go above 3 to a max of 255 iirc too which does not adjust difficulty cleanly like 0-3 does.

If you cannot find this upak.u, the unreal campaign will work without issue.

oh and, keep in mind the default value of ZoneGroundFriction is different in UT and it will "feel" different to regular unreal.
Skrilax_CZ
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skrilax_CZ »

I see about the UPak, going to find a DLL less one.

Regarding faking the menu, is it possible to load the Unreal Gold menu instead from v469b by tweaking the ini?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Maybe. I'm not an expert on UT -- Unreal is more my thing.

There's a high chance it just won't work due to UMenu/UWindow being a little different, in addition to the fact that Unreal Gold packs it into UMenu.u, which UT already has a copy of.

You'd need to replace the UT UMenu.u with Unreal Gold's and then change this ini section in UnrealTournament.ini to match UnrealGold

UT:

[UMenu.UnrealConsole]
RootWindow=UMenu.UMenuRootWindow
UWindowKey=IK_Esc
ShowDesktop=True

[UMenu.UMenuMenuBar]
ShowHelp=True
GameUMenuDefault=UTMenu.UTGameMenu
MultiplayerUMenuDefault=UTMenu.UTMultiplayerMenu
OptionsUMenuDefault=UTMenu.UTOptionsMenu
Unreal Gold: (note the extra section)

[UMenu.UnrealConsole]
RootWindow=UMenu.UMenuRootWindow
UWindowKey=IK_Esc
ShowDesktop=True

[UMenu.UMenuMenuBar]
ShowHelp=True
GameUMenuDefault=UMenu.UMenuGameMenu
MultiplayerUMenuDefault=UMenu.UMenuMultiplayerMenu
OptionsUMenuDefault=UMenu.UMenuOptionsMenu

[UMenu.UMenuRootWindow]
GUIScale=1.000000
LookAndFeelClass=UMenu.UMenuMetalLookAndFeel
Again, good chance it won't work. It probably will need a recompile and/or refactor especially because of 469. I can poke around trying this over the weekend.

I wouldn't try using UMenu from 227i, 227i UWindow deviates more from Unreal->UT than normal.

EDIT: I vaguely remember some texture file from Unrealshare adding a "logo" texture for unreal gold which may not exist in UT that Unreal Gold UMenu might want. this might actually require a rebuild.
Skrilax_CZ
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skrilax_CZ »

I see, thanks for the hints, will work with pre-227 version here since reading the 227 new commands / native functions, I'm pretty sure that one will likely result in porting troubles. Will dig into it and report what I get.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

looks like that upak.u will need editing to work for UT due to some changed classes.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I got it to mostly work. I had to edit UMenu to include the version of UMenuNewGameClientWindow from unreal gold and add the appropriate .int entries.

Player class selection rendering doesn't work but that really doesn't matter at the end of the day. It still selects it properly and all that. starting a new campaign seems to work, map intro cutscenes work. didn't test it very well but it seems mostly "good enough" -- obviously though online play won't work unless someone has the *exact* same changes & client because of the modifications required.

So, aside from the path settings, a modified upak.u, umenu.u to work on 469b, a slightly changed .int file all you need is to also change your console --(Console=UPak.UPakConsole under [Engine.Engine]). Once you're in, you can set your console theme to "Metal" and it pretty much looks exactly like unreal gold except the UT logo in the background.
Skrilax_CZ
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skrilax_CZ »

Followed up on Casey's work. First I edited the executable slightly (Unreal Tournament -> Unreal for app support, inis) so allow it to coexist with separate UT installation then made a bunch of smaller fixes in the inis. Then subsequently edited UMenu further to add support for Mutators in SP (campaigns are hardcoded to U1 and RTNP and only 4 skill levels), add the missing look and feel and replaced the logo with Unreal.

Player class selection and the demo recording client (botpack dependency) still needs fixing. Also need to rebuild old weapon sounds. But both U1 SP and RTNP look nicely playable.
napalicreature

Post by napalicreature »

I was able to get the menu working following those ini edits. The only thing that doesn't work properly is that, when my character dies ingame, the old menu (the 226 and lower era one) is loaded instead of the Unreal Gold style Load menu. Is there a way to modifiy this behavior so it only opens the new menu instead of the old one?

Return to “Unreal 227”