For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

ALAudio for DeusEx - development and links

This forum is for the new audio renderer for UEngine 1 based games, like Unreal, UnrealTournament, DeusEx and Rune. Missing a Game? Want to develop yourself? Let us know!
Nmesa

Re: ALAudio for DeusEx - development and links

Post by Nmesa »

If its not too late, tell me please one thing - what is the problem with crackling sound in Naval Base track? Its a common problem with Unreal engine, but it looks like this track was corrupted from the beginning, this crackling sound can be heard EVEN ON YOUTUBE!

I became a crackling sound-paranoid in any game because of this.
Last edited by Nmesa on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

It's in the samples themselves. The end of the sample loops abruptly and this causes crackling.
Sample 8 is a good example in Naval Base.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.
Nmesa

Post by Nmesa »

It's in the samples themselves. The end of the sample loops abruptly and this causes crackling.
Sample 8 is a good example in Naval Base.
Thanks for the reply, i am glad i am not crasy.
Bogie12

Post by Bogie12 »

Possible OpenAL related bug: OGG music in Deus Ex mods such as Nihilum & The Nameless Mod resets volume when the song track is reset (whether it's via quickloading or new level loading). The only fix is to go into the Sound menu, which sets the music back to the set volume.
Bogie12

Post by Bogie12 »

Another small thing I wanted to point out; CD Audio music doesn't work (was testing it out with an old Matrix soundtrack). Seems to work with Galaxy Audio though.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Possible OpenAL related bug: OGG music in Deus Ex mods such as Nihilum & The Nameless Mod resets volume when the song track is reset (whether it's via quickloading or new level loading). The only fix is to go into the Sound menu, which sets the music back to the set volume.
going to check it, I'm just a lil busy right now with many other things :)
Another small thing I wanted to point out; CD Audio music doesn't work (was testing it out with an old Matrix soundtrack). Seems to work with Galaxy Audio though.
CD Audio isn't targeted with ALAudio, just to much effort for a thing nearly no one ever uses. There are no plans to integrate it.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Bogie12

Post by Bogie12 »

Ah. Good to see it's still in development.
MrRobotBear
OldUnreal Member

Post by MrRobotBear »

Since this doesn't happen in Revision I'm almost certain it's due the original DXOgg being hardcoded to use GalaxyDrv for volume changes, something han changed for us. So not an AlAudio issue.
Last edited by MrRobotBear on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

Since this doesn't happen in Revision I'm almost certain it's due the original DXOgg being hardcoded to use GalaxyDrv for volume changes, something han changed for us. So not an AlAudio issue.
Iirc this was just some ini value beeing read during startup, not sure if that would cause all the hastle.
Last edited by han on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
uji

Post by uji »

Using the very latest version on this forum I get this error when launching the GOG version of Deus EX GOTY:

Critical Error
'Cant find file for package 'ALAudio'
History: UObject::SafeLoadError
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

this message indicates that it doesn't find any of its dependencies, such as alure, openal32 (both included) or the visual studio 2010 runtime (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632) .
path0gen
OldUnreal Member

Post by path0gen »

So I have finally beaten the whole game with OpenAL v2.4.8 from reply #48. Haven't encountered any crashes anymore or any significant issues. I see the download version in the first post is still 2.4.7, maybe it's worth it to post the link to the newer one there?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Thanks for the feedback. Will have to update all this anyway :)
snak

Post by snak »

The music transitions in v2.4.8 are broken. After fading out, they play the first note of the pattern, and then they switch to the next track. It does not occur in the v2.4.7.

Besides that, it works great. I wish there was more volume control though, I find the speeches too quiet.
the_ruthless

Post by the_ruthless »

Agreed with snak: the music transitions seems somewhat broken/glitchy, pretty much as snak describes it. (With the v2.4.8, yes.)

This after just a couple of minutes playtime, though. Tried v2.4.7 for a bit first, and that crashed on me when/after talking to the bartender (Shea) at the UnderWorld Tavern.

...other than that; I have surround sound and am very happy! Thank you! :D[reason]clarification[/reason]
Last edited by the_ruthless on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
budidipopo

Post by budidipopo »

Hi, I wanted to say thanks for making this renderer, since it allows me to play Deus Ex with HRTF. I noticed during gameplay and in the intro that the lipsyncing was going too fast when I used AlAudio compared to Galaxy. This happened with v2.4.7 and v2.4.8.
AlAudio: https://files.catbox.moe/n8sbuu.webm
Galaxy: https://files.catbox.moe/m7xy5s.webm
Last edited by budidipopo on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therealdadbeard

Post by therealdadbeard »

One issue I have is that sometimes Music just plays way too fast. Like the fight music I have at the beginning of the game.

When I use the old Galaxy sound engine it works. Using it with EAX so it sounds pretty nice but anyway to fix this with AL Audio?

Return to “ALAudio (OpenAL), FMOD (FMOD3 and FMOD Ex) or other new audio renderer for UEngine 1 Games”